Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New movement/targeting system !

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Spinok, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you like the new movement/targeting system

1. yes

2. no

3. undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Ive been around in a great guild, help new people for at least 3-4 hours every Saturday in Soltown. Know a lot of people, and your right I don't think we have ever crossed paths. If liking the changes are sucking up, sign me up buttercup.

2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

To keep this thread on topic you and I should move this to PM or call it a day.

3. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Personally I really enjoy the system; perhaps not the bugs and the flaws that have come with it. As with any new addition there is going to be some time before they make all the corrections and fix all the different issues surrounding specific scenarios.

I invested and supported this kickstarter because I wanted to be part of a game that made me feel like I was part of the world. I do not believe mouse targeting strongly illuminates the player/avatar relationship; This can be further illustrated by one of the previous comments regarding the the hate of having to turn your avatar to look/read a sign and would rather "mouse over" it to read it. I'm not sure about the rest of the community, but that doesn't make me feel like me and the character have much of a relationship.

The one thing that I find interesting is the implementation of this in a game that has a fairly large portion of the community that would rather pull out graph paper to map dungeons and strongly support the "Old School RPG" feels. This new targeting mode is very similar to the now growing "Action RPG" standards that have been coming out. It's not new or ground breaking, but has been picking up more support in the recent years.

I have invested in the company to show my support to the developers of this game and their decisions to make the game according to their vision with spice tossed in from the community. I in no way expected to pay all that money to get a carbon copy of the game at the time I made my purchase; I accept the changes (Good and Bad) and try to make the game a better experience as I can. We've all seen the game change over time and I'd suggest waiting to see what comes next, you never know what the devs will come up with next.

~Woden

Tahru, Skyo, Acred and 2 others like this.
  4. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

my goodness!
    yes it's true I haven't been in the game much in recent history since it has become such a chore to play. a couple years ago when I started it was way more fun. I used to spend a great deal of time helping new players and getting them excited about the game, since I was excited about the game. Hasn't been that way in awhile now. But I keep hoping....

Leostemplar likes this.
  5. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

That's all we can hope for, and im not one to throw jabs especially at ladies, im just fairly passionate about the game. I spend a lot of time in game as well. I was one of those who hit high levels last few releases, and will probably do it again, while attending events, and in game functions. Community is what brings us together, even with differences we are still a close nit community. Almost every time there is something that divides the community the devs take a closer look at it and try to give a solution for both sides. That will happen here, it isn't going away, but it will be revisited and optimized im sure. Keep your head up!

6. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

awww!!! so what's your name ingame Insinious? *flutters eyelashes*
    that way I can be sure to say hi! to you, dear, dear man ;D

nm, found it -- I'll be sure to put you on my list! :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  7. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

I certainly do agree that the dev's do a great job at trying to provide reasonable resolutions for problems that pop up. Hopefully this repeated compromise does not come at a greater cost and leave our game without an identity. More importantly I hope that the dev's can reach their vision of the game without the community pulling them in so many directions that they lose their way.

~Woden

8. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Couldn't have said this better myself.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I so agree. It's just about unplayable for me.

Osiris3, Doctor, agra and 1 other person like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well I bit the bullet and played for a few hours to give things another go.

• New mode of moving around just with the mouse is smooth and is nice if all I want to do is walk around.
    • New mode of moving is a disaster for me in combat due to glyph control, and for that reason I just stay in cursor mode for everything (just easier to interact)
    • Targeting is just frustrating to the extent I ask myself why even bother.
      • No real idea what i'm actually attacking if there is a mob
      • Constantly twirling camera angles to try and keep up with what i'm trying to target
      • As soon as I get a lag spike ...... well i'm screwed.
      • Healing party members is now just so depressingly awkward you have to ask the question whether its worth the hassle.
    So in a nutshell, I will keep messing around with combat to see how it develops, but as things stand the future is far from bright. As things stand I will probably strike competitive combat off the list of things I will do in the game (it will simply be that bad that any serious PvPer will simply laugh at it and avoid the game) and move general combat into the 'only when necessary' category. Kind of leaves me with Housing and Crafting........how depressing.

Osiris3, himmelweiss, Doctor and 2 others like this.
  11. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Yes I spent several hours in the game today trying to get comfortable with the combat system -also stayed in cursor mode (otherwise just impossible) - was able to manage to kill some stuff - but it's really clunky, persnickety, and impossible to do if anyone or anything, including my pet -- gets in the way. I did enjoy combat in the early versions of the game.... now... bleh

Doctor and Leostemplar like this.
  12. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Yes like me :)

13. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

@Sophi, Have you ever tried Voice attack? I like you use my pointer for everything so combat using the Glyphs with numbers on keyboard is awkward for me.. Though I am going to try it with Voice Attack and see.. I will also perhaps program it to do a few other things too.

14. agra

agra Avatar

When third party automation is the answer to interacting with the UI & Gameplay, it's possible the design and implementation is poor. ;)

15. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

I feel like we are repeating a theme here. The theme of please try it we think you will like it. Honestly the whole rolling deck system was the same, and many folks got used to it, but being used to something isn't liking it. Even if I manage to get used to this targeting system, I don't like it. I think also that this system will only drive a deeper wedge between those who want to PvP and those who might have. And, I wonder what other "lures" will be put in place to drag the Sheeple to the wolves. With the rolling deck we ended up with two options. With Auto attack we ended up with two options. Please I hope let us have options in this regard also.

16. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, you are free to have yours.

The fun thing is that games usually evolve their playability/gameplay as they age, they tend to became easier to learn and more intuitive to manage. Somehow I feel we are moving backwards here since I started playing.

If you think this new targeting system is good (or will be good at some point after they polish it), there is an experience that might help you realize what is happening:

Try playing WoW (a games with core problems, yes, but with an undeniably awesome playability) for an hour, then play Skyrim for an hour. Finish with another hour of SotA. You see, those were two completely different games, with a great and intuitive gameplay. The way you interact with the world is easy, intuitive and awesome. Now, ask yourself, does SotA looks closer to WoW or to Skyrim when you compare our combat and interaction systems? So, what targeting system would work best with it? I believe this experience might help you feel the clumsiness of what we currently have.

So was the auto attack... Was gone for good, bye, bye. Until they realized... Better yet: Until we made them realize the huge pile of... clumsiness the free attack was. And here we are again.

Sophi, those were some words of Wisdom back there:
    I would like to use the next lines to explain why it feels so bad and sad; Why it was a waste of our developer's time to create this ugly beast; Why it should be abandoned right now, before we waste even more resources. But I won't. My time is more valuable than that. Especially when playing this game feels less like a hobby and more like a chore (Thank you again, Sophi.), and this forum grows in toxicity. Our changes are gathering new players, good, isn't it? At least our forum got some awesome features and I can block everyone I need. Weeee!

P.S.: I not sure if I have used the words 'gameplay' and 'playability' accurately here, but I believe my post was understandable.

See you (game) next month, see you (forum) soon.

As I usually say in threads like these:
    I apologize if was too aggressive here, I have struggled not to be.
    I wish you wisdom and luck in your choices.

Peace,
    Leos.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I think hate may be too strong a word for how I feel about the deck system, but I'm not a big fan either. I do hate being forced into a combat deck because something attacked me, if I could just choose if and when I'm switching to combat mode then I'd be satisfied.

I'm with you on the skill system though, it's a dog's dinner. I still don't understand why I need to spend time levelling up a useless (to me) skill like Distract just to get improved dexterity and fall damage? I hate having to micro-manage my skills so as not to waste XP on lower level ones I don't need apart from to unlock things higher up the tree.

Someone further up the thread (or perhaps the other one) said "don't worry, they always get to a compromise that everyone's happy with" or something like that, I disagree. My impression is people give up complaining about stuff because it becomes apparent they're stuck with it even though they don't like it, not because they're now happy with it.

To drag things back on topic, I already died today because despite being in combat mode and standing directly in front of an enemy my avatar waited until I'd lost a third of my health before attacking. I also died when two wolves attacked me and, despite having one of them down to 10% of their health and not moving, my avatar inexplicably started attacking the other wolf and couldn't be persuaded to just kill the first one to halve the amount of DPS against. Since each death causes a CTD in Linux at the moment, playing the game is an incredibly frustrating experience.

Leostemplar and Artair Geal like this.
  18. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Played a couple of days now and i just changed my vote from "undecided" to "no".

Leostemplar and Three Eighty-Six like this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm just sitting back now waiting to see the new updates and changes.

Some people try to gloss over the current situation and are convincing themselves that everything is fine.

The facts are:
    • Around 50% of Dev+ did not like this change when it first appeared in its current form.
    • Around 50% of the forum community clearly do not like this change.
    • Whether it is felt just or not......the Steam rating is "average" at 67% and that was before this change!
    • The player base and funding simply is not big or strong enough for people to bury their heads in the sand over this.
    I see so many great things happen in this project. I see so much enthusiasm. The game certainly deserves a lot more recognition than it current has. In saying all of this, I keep seeing so many self inflicted wounds which could so easily have been avoided........this wound is brutal and the worst one I have seen since supporting the game.

A true fix, U-Turn or optional old controller is needed.......it doesn't matter which route is taken, I for one really don't care as the game moves forward and gets back on track.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know there are a lot of people that really like the new targeting system. There are also a lot of people who hate it (like me). It's like having a decent bicycle and someone replacing it with a unicycle. Sure, it may work but it sucks compared to the bicycle.

Osiris3 and Leostemplar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.