Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Patch warning if client out of date

Discussion in 'Release 50 Feedback Forum' started by Griffler, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffler

Griffler Avatar

Currently if your client is out of date when you try to login it simply prompts you for your password again. There is no indication at all as to why you were not able to login, or that an attempt was even made other then your password field being blank again. Some feedback to the user would be handy in a post launch environment.

Is this perhaps a bug? If so I'll post this in the appropriate forum.

2. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It should give an appropriate message on login. I just tested with PC client version 723 to try and login, and I get the message that "A newer version of the game is required to play. Please restart the game using the launcher in order to get the latest version." Can I ask what version of the game you were on, and if you were running through Steam or the Launcher?

If your client was significantly out of date (like two releases old) it might not communicate with the server correctly anymore and not give an appropriate message.

Elwyn and Kabalyero like this.
  3. Griffler

Griffler Avatar

Launcher and 725, or might have been 723, since r50 And before, I cannot recall seeing this message ever. I also had the client open today with 725 installed, I was able to login to the game and run around fine, just couldn't interact with people in the new patch. Seems like I should have gotten a warning when I logged in this time too that I'm on an out dated client, but got nothing.

Another thing I would expect to see an exception for, these very basic alerts of an issue is whats missing(at least on my client?), with my experience with other MMO's this is not something that should be left up to the user to figure out whats happened, why it did not login. If you need anything else let me know!

Thanks @BurningToad !

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This seems to happen if I don't log all the way out, like...lets say I idle-time out because I went afk to do something and ended up taking a short nap. I return to the (still open) game and log back in, it lets me log in etc. and doesn't tell me there's a patch. If I had logged all the way out (closed the game completely) then yes, it does prompt me to patch.
    Other scenario where this would be useful, though, is when you've been online for several hours playing and a patch occurs, there's no way to know this patch occurred until you start not being able to group with people. It would be nice if there was a notification perhaps in system msgs letting you know a patch was available, or perhaps showing a shiny star or something next to your version number at the top of the screen, to let you know. It would save people waiting around on others for a long time while they have to go patch.

Belladonna Rose and Griffler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.