New PC: Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Sorthious, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah...that is why I opted to not do the server thing. I wanted a Skylake processor for future-proofing and the price of the MB's was an issue. I'm happy with my choice...and I can upgrade to 64gigs of DDR4 3200. Just going to wait till prices drop some more.

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

That looks like a great system for the price. Plenty of room for future upgrades. Don't forget your cooling system.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

@Damian Killingsworth , spent $494(was aiming for $450) for the build. I'm using the stock cooler for now as I have no plans to overclock anytime soon. I didn't get a 'K' series chip so I will have to do a 'BCLK' overclock. I'm loving it so far! 5sec(or less) boot time. I can run the game on 'good' settings without serious issue. It is a low FPS and places like Ardoris are very laggy, but on my Asus I was getting constant restarts in most towns, 5min+ load times for every scene(5400RPM mechanical drive), etc. Now, with the SSD drive, scenes load up in 20s-1min. The game has some memory issues. At a point, I was using 10gigs of 16 and it was still climbing. You are right, I have tons of upgrade options. I can have 64gigs on the MB, and I believe it was like 6 SATA connections, so I can add more SSD's when I need. Can also do AMD Crossfire, although I probably will stick with 1 card. Looking at an Radeon RX 480 8gig, but it's like $240 right now. No worries though. I'm good to go for a while! So stoked right now!

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If you're still using Linux on this new machine and you're using the open source driver stack (which you should be for Intel or AMD graphics) then you should look at getting unstable Mesa installed. Also consider using a mainline kernel instead of the default LTS one. The open source graphics stack is undergoing rapid improvement (recently Mesa reached OpenGL 4.5 support for several cards) and you will likely see a noticeable improvement in performance.

(edited to use actual words that exist instead of "improvening")

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah, I'm using Ubuntu. On my ASUS I was using Lubuntu, but was having too many issues with installing certain things(although i liked how lightweight it was and the simplistic Windows-like layout.) Thanks for the info, I will defininitely do any tweak that helps performance. No worries, I make up words all the time by accident.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Can't say I agree with that. I bought this one back in 2007 and it still works awesome for my system! (Yes, it's out of stock, but it's a 10 year old model/package).

The PS has enough power to run any modern components still, here's a list of the connectors the PS has:
    1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
    1 x 12V(P4)
    1 x 12V(8Pin)
    6 x peripheral
    8 x SATA
    2 x Floppy
    4 x PCI-E(6Pin)
    2 x PCI-E(8Pin)

And the case itself has plenty of room to fit a ton of hardware in with a lot of open space for air circulation. It will accommodate up to ten 120mm fans (4 on side, 2 front, 1 back, 1 top, 2 bottom) so you can really get some great flow through this thing!

Just saying... don't use a blanket statement like that about a company because most of them have a few gems in their product line.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I've been in IT for 25 years and couldn't disagree more. I lived through the early DOS days in an enterprise (Novel/AS400) and you know what, people just want a PC that just plugs in and works, its a commodity today for games and web browsing, not the old days of actual real innovation that existed. Mac of course just goes to far with this, but the good old Windows PC is still the status quo (especially enterprise) in the world for a reason.

9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Thanks, but I built this back in November. The PSU seems good enough, no probs yet! Here's what I put in it. Might upgrade later on with an i7 and more ram, but it runs really good for what I want to do. As far as an OS, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which saved me $100+ off the cost. With Video Card it came to ~$700 and I got a lot more than I would have(at that price) if I had bought a prebuilt PC.

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz/3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
    ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory(15 CAS)
    ADATA Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive(560MB/s Read, 510MB/s Write)
    Corsair(CX 600) Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    DIYPC Zondda-O ATX Mid Tower Case
    Radeon RX480 8gig GPU

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Right - and McDonald's is one of the most successful food enterprises for the same exact reason! People dont think - advertising does their thinking for them. Windows' biggest argument to this day is, "its familiar."

The irony of a Windows machine "plugs in and works" lol.

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Tell that to the billion Windows units out there in the corporate world.

The last data center I was running (3 man team) was a federal institution with about 50 million in it. We had 3000 Virtual machines, 2000 Windows servers and maybe 100 unix/Linux (People soft mostly). Seemed to have far more luck with Windows servers backed by SCCM.

At one point I was the only person for the 2000 Windows servers and we had 2 full time people for the 100 Unic/Linux servers.

Sounds like they work fine.

12. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I just built a new computer and the 1080 Nvidia card is DX12. Does anyone know when DX 12 support will come in?

13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Governor Tempest likes this.
  14. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

If I recall correctly in having read the actual Unity patches and commentary, they said the amount of time it would take to make the changes for DX12 for such a small gain makes it not worth it. It sounded to me the answer would be never. As for DX12 compatible... It's a buzz term that you shouldn't be fooled by, just like a processor being "win 10 compatible" etc Like rice being labeled fat free.... heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.