New PC Gamer article calls UO "one of the best MMOs ever"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tekkamansoul, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Is UO still owned and run by EA?

I quit so long ago because of EA and to this day, I've never purchased another EA game

2. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Yes i think so, but Mythic turned it over to Broadsword.

Josh Randall likes this.
  3. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

From what I had heard EA farmed it out to someone or something called Broadsword. I tried going back once but all my rares were gone and T2A was still terrible. So I went to a freeshard. Never could stand Trammel.

Josh Randall likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If they did i'm sure it would be a head in hands moment followed by some choice expletives.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I beta UO and played it until the 2000 year range. I left for EQ then went back, left for DOAC and went back.

It was an amazing game, no doubt it it also had severe issues, especially early on.

I think people just like to look aback at stuff with rosy glass's like their first college car.

6. Dexter4

Dexter4 Avatar

UO was the best game ever and i mean at release and the first year . it gradually got worse and worse . There loot system imo was the best and only 1 ive ever seen so far . loot dropped with random stats that you could not get crafting and than if they did enhance they were 1 of a kind items . Not the ability to keep crafting and eventually you can have the same thing as everyone else . The fact that you put the random options in there helps but in the end there will never be any 1 of a kind items . Something i really disliked about eq2 lets all farm the same boss and have all the same weapons and armour ( sarcastically speaking) . Also i am so tired of hearing " the games not done yet " than it shouldnt have been put into persistence . Also there were 3 or 4 groups of people playing every day on persistence . yes you might not have wanted people to gain levels so fast but in the end you did not stop 1 hardcore gamer . There's already lvl 100's with 30+ gm's . you did however kill all the groups below lvl 80 . and i have to give it to these sota players , they take the slap and move on graciously and look for something else to have fun with until that gets nerfed 24 to 72 hours later and yet they still look for other ways . yes some things needed to be fixed but the way its has been gone about is all wrong . If people were having fun in a "Game" not real life and telling their friends about why they have not gone anywhere in a week than something is going right and please do play devils advocate because the worst thing i can think of is the people get to high lvl and want more content faster than you can produce it . Besides that i really cant see why it feels like anything that can be fun and advance you faster in the game gets destroyed . The taming only needed to add the summoning factor so low lvls couldnt summon it not the crap it is now . ok im done complaining for the day . wish everyone a good day .

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  7. Joeble

Joeble Avatar

I think the best part of that article was this piece "For many players, part of the enduring charm of Ultima is how broken it was." That exactly captures what UO was like. :)

2112Starman and Nhili Dragon like this.
  8. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

UO is 10000x the game sota will ever be. I don't even play sota anymore but it's not even a fraction of what UO is other than having RGs name behind it. These are so many other mmos out old and new that out do sota 100 percent. Sota cashed out on people's desire for a new and improved UO. Unfortunately it didn't pan out or hadn't yet, and doesn't look like it ever will. SOTA in my opinion is its own game in its own right and def not turning into anything I'd be interested in playing, but to call it UO successor or the same as UO is a joke.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  9. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

It was broken b ut that brought a lot of people together,for example: you all went into a dungeon and everything froze but you knew the mobs didn't "black screen of death" usually everything you had was gone. We all worked together to replace items. UO in the early years was unique but fun. Key word unique.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im usually very critical of reviews, in fact this community attacks you if you critique them.

Im still going to critique this review:

Its one of the best reviews I have ever seen... absolutely spot on about UO in the early days.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.