New Player Experience

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Xophile, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xophile

Xophile Avatar

Thankyou for inviting us to give a trial run on SotA. At first , i was kinda learly of the trial with all the road blocks. But i found it was enough to build a pleasureable experience. The deck system was alot of fun. I like the old school questing system. "Actually using your brain". The tutorial was great. Gave me all the tools i needed to start in the right direction. The community seems helpful, but small. As an old time UO player, my experience was positive. Housing seems to be the main focus here. And seeing the direction where this is going i wish i would have crowd funded as a backer. The open RMT, and partnering with Neverdie Studios, theres definately money to be made. The Land Barons have definately secured their investments. All the land is purchased and very small player base at this point. For incoming new players, not possible to be competitve, at this point. All new players are already behind the curve. I personally wont be continuing my journeys here, but i definately give SotA 2 thumbs up. Best wishes!! :)

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome!

This has been my greatest fear since I started in this game. Everyone said housing was not the game, but clearly that is not true. And RMT sucks in all respects.

However, let me say that there is a lot more to the game than that. And soon, it will be possible to share homes without risk of losing stuff. There will be thousands of places where you can stay for free as I know many homeowners want to share the game experience. For me, this spirit is what makes this game worth staying with.

3. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

You are right that the land in NPC cities is taken. But is that really the best place to live? Player Owned Towns often have more active communities, and many have everything you need for crafting etc. And there's lots of room, just pick and choose. Of course it still costs money, but it did for the backers as well so new players are not in that much of a disadvantage imo.

And skills can be leveled fairly quick. You can reach levels to be competitive with the big majority, but probably not the absolute top. However there's always a hurdle when jumping into an existing mmo, so it's up to each and everyone if it's worth it.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

most of the land in the most popular, centrally-located npc towns is gone, but as of three weeks ago there were still 1482 open lots left in npc towns. some of them are even important, having lunar rifts and/or devotional shrines.

Elwyn, Spoon and Vodalian like this.
  5. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I was under the impression that the deeds are sold out for NPC towns and only available via lottery? And that the empty spaces are due to many deed-owners not having claimed a lot yet. But even if I'm wrong, I would still rather keep my POT house than live in a NPC city.

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have to admit that when POT's were originally sold, I was very sceptical and never thought I would want another player to have that much control. In fact I likened a POT owner to bad DND game master. But I was completely wrong. Seriously, I could not have been more wrong. In fact, I spend more time in POT's now than anywhere. Successful POT owners really care about town very much and go out of their way to make the players that stay there happy.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

thanks for checking the game out. Also it is not released yet and each episode and there will be 5 + will double the land mass and add new virtues. You are just seeing a small amount of world. Hopefully later when it is released you will come check us out again. Plus in R44 renting comes out and some of those big houses may just be for rent. ;) I am Majoria in game and I would be more than happy to provide you a place to live. You would then just enjoy as anyone. There are whole towns of free housing for new people. No one has to be left out. This is the friendliest community and true some of us have been here from the beginning, but I can tell you even though I do have land because of a payment plan in 2013 I am always poor. We make our own advantages and that is available to anyone. Best wishes to you in your journeys and thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You're welcome Xophile! Thank you for the kind feedback. We hope that you'll revisit the game upon its launch! Please let us know if you have any other questions or thoughts in the meantime. Happy to have you here in the community.

9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

As of 25 July
    There are still 46 lots available in Celestis. 10 are Row Lots, 16 are Village or Water Village Lots. There's even a lot along the vendors' row.
    It is true that most of the best vendor spots have been claimed. It is wrong to think that there are no lots available in whatever type of town you wish to live in - NPC, PRT, or POT.

10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

A lot of the locations in NPC towns is taken. Not all of it though, i see empty plots in many. Personally i find these locations attractive in the visual sense but lacking in the community way, and feel that player owned towns where people of a kind guild/friends can set up home a much more enjoyable and interactive experience. I had the choice back when we went persistent to have a NPC plot but choose a PRT instead, so its horses for courses really.

As mentioned above , renting is coming into he game in a few days time. People will rent out rooms in houses and basements, or let them out for free. I have a big basement, 5 big floors which I'm hoping to let out for free to new players, a floor each and outside growing room. For these new players i take in i will also teach and help raise them to a good high level with tutoring in skills and helping them save enough gold to purchase at least a row lot in a pot with gold earned as a group and distributed to them. Add me in game 'Bow Vale' if you wish and we can push you forward as my first free paying tenant, soon to be land owning tenant.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  11. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

There is a barrier to land ownership and even housing for new players and non backers. The 1%ers have invested heavily in this game, own the land, and seek to profit. The rest of us peasants suffer from paying taxes and limited storage and cannot enjoy the pleasures of owning nice homes and nice things.

This is a pretty accurate mirror of the real world.

The question remains, will the 99% who start the game recognize this and continue to play happily as a peasant or a serf, or will they join another game that does not encourage this dichotomy. The original poster seems to chose the latter, I have chosen the former. Its difficult to paint a picture where enough peasants will choose to joyously toil in the muck along side me. This may lead to a world that has 1% peasants and 99% people of means, a world populated by 100 players instead of world populated by 10,000.

Perhaps there exists a business model where an organization, with eleven million expectations, can sustain itself with 100 loyal subjects without weekly telethons. I can imagine many successful strategies would emerge with the support of the 10,000 or more.

The real question is, does it fall on the gods to solve men's (and women's and other's) problems, or should the 1% take it upon themselves to provide for the smallfolk in a sustainable manner. A true scion of peasantry (and serfs and others) is resolved to succeed in both worlds.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  12. Stellos Hayford

Stellos Hayford Avatar

Thanks for stopping by, and providing us with some positive feedback! In regards to your concerns mentioned in the original post, I feel obliged to point out that many of the initial players and the backers are very welcoming and inclusive towards new players, rather than competitive.

As mentioned in previous replies, with the new rental system having launched mere moments ago at the time of writing, I'm sure new players will find that in the days to come, many of the people who backed the project early on are willing to rent or even dedicate land and housing to new Avatars, in the hopes that they can make a home for themselves in New Britannia.

All in all, I'm personally very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and hope to see you again! Safe Travels!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  13. gambit618

gambit618 Avatar

I am the owner/governor of the POT "Highland Keep of Clan MacDaddy" (connected through SolTown). It is the grasslands map so there is easy transport back to Novia and Soltown right where you spawn in at the docks. I am currently setting up the town since the addition of rent (moving things around but will be finished tonight-07/27/17)
    I have the following in my PoT:
    -Path lighting so youre not in the dark
    -Lighting by crafting stations so you are not in the dark
    -Gustball Field
    -My Town lot dedicated to 4 greenhouses and all crafting stations that everyone can use (do not have to be a resident for crafting stations, greenhouses are for myself and close friends)
    -My village lot dedicated to the Viking Inn- multiple floors with multiple rooms that will ALWAYS be free
    -Kobold Remote Bank access (once youre a resident I will grant you "guest" access to the village lot so you dont have to run back and forth to the banker at the docks)
    -Mail boxes
    -Dedicated Fishing Merchant at Docks (To resupply those oh so critical worms for your fishing adventure!)
    -Dedicated NPC building with 3 essential NPCs outside (they walk around too much inside)- cooking merchant, crafting merchant, and magic merchant
    -NPC building has rooms I can make available for rent
    -My commission free vendor (anyone should be able to use)
    -Plenty of Row house lots, village lots etc- I have a few placed but if you want your own lot all you have to do is message me, coordinate a time and you can pick where you want it (as per allowed with PoT plot restrictions as it is first come first serve)

If you are interested in having a room or lot dedicated to you, you can message me on here or in game "Laddy MacDaddy" is my character

Thanks everyone
    Laddy MacDaddy

14. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi, Xophile to the growing and friendly community of the game shroud of the avatar.
    there is plenty of player owned towns with tonnes of space to rent plots or rooms in the game
    the community is more welcoming and helpful than any other MMO game I have ever played
    if you are having problems post in the forums, ask in game or use the dedicated discord channel https://discord.gg/5gdr5p

please feel free to message me in the game and add scar face to your friend's list to know when I am online or using the new in game mail and drop me an in-game letter.

look forward to meeting you in game Xophile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.