Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Player Feedback - Legitimate

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Caveloot.com Owner, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I don't want to echo what others are saying, so I'll just keep it simple:

Is it fun? Great, keep it.
    If not, redesign it.

That should be any game's cornerstone, even before innovation.

bloodydragon, Punkte, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  4. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

I agree with the OP, if the current Jump is making people leave, then change it (regardless of our opinion of those who leave because of it)!

Sprint is another non-intuitive function as mentioned above. I never use it because it's not easy, nor convenient, for me.

I can answer the, "Why do we have 'Toe Glue?" question based on a dev response from an old telethon or forum post. In early releases there was no toe glue and people were using that like Spiderman to access areas of the map, houses, etc. the devs didn't intend us to access (because you could use the tiniest toehold to keep your current position and jump up to the next tiniest toehold without backing up a bit and falling down). To remedy that, the devs changed Jump to function only when you were not touching anything in the direction you were trying to jump. If you bump into something that stops you, you have to back up a bit in order to use Jump.

And yes, Jump will change in R53 and Chris has asked all of us to test it on QA when available. See, they do listen....sometimes. :D

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

My friend said the same thing about SoTA because of these two and many other aspects the game feels very clanky. It's like devs purposely wanted players movement to feel hindered and obstructed. I think that this issue arises from the fact that when the game was created, devs didn't take in account the mainstream feedback from the gaming market, but rather made something that seem cool only to them and the majority of the biggest gamers/investors. Now, when the people, who are used to mainstream gaming and standard features they see in all the other games, come to try SoTA and leave, devs don't understand, why so few care or like the game.

While I always considered movement and interaction systems in SoTA weird, I can overlook some of these things and ignore then because I like the atmosphere. In the end of the day though, the devs want people to love their game, while they never cared in the first place about the main game elements and mechanics that majority of gamers are used to. Innovation is great, but if you try to reinvent a wheel and make it square, this will not end well for the reputation of your product.

MrBlight and Elwyn like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Actually, they made two changes, and the other one clearly has more effect on wild jumping. You can not jump when you are not in a stable position, whether you were commanding a move or not. Try to jump around on some rocks and see how easy it is to be all wobbly. Not allowing you to jump at this point is more than enough to keep you from jumping up walls. Commanding a movement should be irrelevant. I understand the urgency with which both changes were made without having the time to test in detail, because people really were jumping up walls like crazy, but I don't it was ever tested that the "steady footing" change alone was sufficient. It is also possible that the wobbly thing wasn't even quite working then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.