New player only a few hours in

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Gillwin, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

Hey, I just downloaded the game on a free trial version to see what it was like before coughing up the 50 dollars to buy it. I have now spent a few hours playing the game and here are my first feelings.

I like the graphics, to me they are avg to good and so very acceptable to play.
    I like that there are no real levels in the game and that the abilities of the character are advanced by you using the ability. I have always preferred games that use this method of "leveling" a skill.
    I like the range of abilities in the game so far.

things i dislike so far:
    I HATE the maps in this game. I spend alot of time just zoning from one area to the next not sure what to do and where to find what i am looking for.

I dont like nor understand the overview map. Why am i running around the overview map? It reminds me of those cheap boring facebook games where you build your city and then go to the overview map to see who is building near you so you can attack them. I would much prefer staying in a single view and moving around a world in that view instead of how it is currently designed. I spend so much time zoning, zoning, zoning.

Quests are hard to find and difficult to follow as i can never figure out how to find the person i need to find.

I know this game is a MMO but i feel so alone. Maybe it is because i am on a free version of the game but i dont see how to communicate with anyone else. Ask for help in game. Is there guilds? what do the guilds do? can guilds fight each other? is pvp limited to a few zones?

Mob targeting can be a bit tricky sometimes, I can clik on a mob and sometimes i see there health bar over their head while other times i can not. Sometimes it is hard to see who i am targeting. I am not a huge fan of tab targeting (or clicking on a mob), but prefer the newer style of targeting where you have a "dot" in the center of your screen and you are hitting whatever mob you are putting that dot on. It seems to me to be a more realist fighting style.

I think the game has some potential and hope it does well. I will continue to play to learn more about the game as i am sure some of my problems is just that i have not played long enough. I have alpha tested many games and enjoy playing unfinished games. I hope my list of dislikes are not taken in the wrong way as i mean them to help the developers and do not want them to discourage anyone from playing the game. I will add more thoughts to this post after playing for a while longer.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Gillwin to the game. Yes there is quite a learning curve on this game and some things will feel better over the next releases. Tomorrow is release 49 or later today I should say since it's 3am for me. Are you in game now. I am Majoria in game. I can help you. Just click the following key and ad Majoria and right click my name to whisper. Click the little pin next to the x to make the chat window stay up. And thanks for your feedback.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

I dont see a key to click on, but yes i am still in the game

4. Nick

Nick Avatar

The key is F. That will open a window. Add Majoria to your friend's list. :)

5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Welcome @Gillwin,

There are many helpful players and guilds in SOTA that will give advice.

If you are able to join a guild, do so at least until you have learned the ropes.

Stick around for the first mini-telethon. During the telethons many items and bundles are placed on sale and you may find one of them to be to your liking.

Have a great time!

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia Outlander!

Feedback is allways welcome *cough*, just be sure to present it in a constructive and positive way *cough, cough* :D

Have Fun - Stun

Moiseyev Trueden and Weins201 like this.
  7. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

It's great to have you here!

8. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family, Gillwin! It's true that this game takes some time to learn how to play. The community is a wonderful one and most players will be happy to help you. Please feel free to add me in game: By Tor. If I'm on and you need any help, I'm happy to assist.

10. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

I still do not like the overview map. It totally ruins the game for me. I will continue playing for a while but it would be hard for me to actually pay anything for the game as long as that overview map is in place. Which is a shame as i do like the game once you are in a zone. If i could stay in a zone or move from zone to zone without ever seeing that overview map i would be a happy camper. When you are in a zone you feel you are the toon you are playing but as soon as you go to overview map you are reminded that you are just playing a game and now are just moving chess pieces around a board. I do mean this in a constructive way as i am sure there are others like me that want to be immersed in a game without being reminded it is a game. It is ultimately up to the developers to design the game they want to play and to be proud of what they have done, but still i would rather be honest with them and let them know why people like me would have a difficult time with the game. Who knows . they may be able to tweek the game to make it more attractive to players like me and in the end make it more profitable for themselves.

Still i will continue to play for a while longer to see if all the really good parts of the game can out weight that one bad thing (in my point of view).

11. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

lol, just tried to log into game and my free trial is over so i guess i will not be rejoining the game. I do wish you all good luck and happy playing. The community has been very helpful now that i have found you. It was difficult at first as i could not see the chat window and did not know i had one until someone told me how to get it to show up and to get it to stick in place. (i would recommend that to be the default setting ).

Happy gaming people and happy holidays

12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

hope to see you returning to New Britannia someday soon

13. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

yes, it is sad i did not get to spend but a day exploring the game, but i am not willing to spend 50 dollars for the game at this point.

14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Totally understand. Well, final release was recently announced : March 2018. Maybe you can come back and give it another try then. :)

Moiseyev Trueden and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

I just put this game on my wishlist on steam. If it goes on sale i will recon cider buying it. I know a couple other games will be coming out soon so there will be some competition . Pantheon, crowfall and camelot unchained.

16. Nick

Nick Avatar

Isn’t the free trial still on? Probably stopped for a day,with the latest release 49.

17. Gillwin

Gillwin Avatar

Sadly, I only discovered this game yesterday and today it says free trial is over. Do you think it will come back? Would like to at least spend a week in the game before i decide to purchase or not.

Moiseyev Trueden and By Tor like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Avatar

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I think you should be able to. The trial game is now staying open for people to try the game.

Btw I really enjoyed meeting you last night, well early in to the morning for me lol. I know you said you are not happy with the overland map and just so you know when we first started here there were huge debates on these forums for those of us who wanted an opened world with no loading to few loading zones but we did not win that argument. So now as with all the un-reversible here that will not change so we deal with that. And one way I deal with it is try to find ideas to enhance or embellish it since we have it. Well I am a bit obsessed lol.

For the overland map I can picture activity happening and the encounters are getting some love and making them more of an adventure instead of boring so that is good.

Also if we get trade routes and caravans with quests that travel on the overland map perhaps that would make it more interactive and interesting to use it sometime and then other times you just fast travel to the locations we want to go to via our teleport lists(friends on our friends list). We do have rifts that fast travel us but so far these are not easy to find for just anyone. I would like them to show on the map so we know where they are.

So best wishes and keep this game on your radar and if you decide to do a trial again, you know me now ;). Yeah I know the pre-alpha for Pantheon and other games are coming out too and that is fantastic and I wish them well too. I for one don't want to go through another 4 years of waiting and hoping for a game. I am interested in a game to build upon and a playground full of longevity with added content continuing to come in the game as it goes forward and I'm hoping this game will be that for me.

edited to say pre alpha for Pantheon. Otherwise it is not coming out soon. ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  20. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

SotA free trials will change on December 20th. Mark your calendar for your return.

By Tor and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.