New Player

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Frogtown, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogtown

Frogtown Avatar

Hello everyone.

I am really enjoying the game so far. I think I managed to get my Adventure level thing up to 38ish this weekend. I'm still not certain what exactly that even means.

Things I like: it's proper nerdy, the community, active player towns, the skill system

Things I don't like: cash shop, loot drops are nothing special forcing me to buy crafted gear, empty player towns

Sonja, Sentinel2, Alioth and 5 others like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Welcome to SotA, @Frogtown
    I've got somewhere around 13,000 hrs playing, so for whatever that's worth here's some feedback on a couple of your comments:

Adventurer Level is simply based off the total amount of xp's you've earned by killing mobs over time, and it's an exponential curve. Costs more and more points the higher it gets.

It really doesn't mean a whole lot - other than as a very general "rule of thumb" as to how hard or easy any given mob might be for you to defeat.

Having said that, what's much more important than AdvLvl is your use of the skills that you have... IE, someone with a much lower AdvLvl than you might be able to defeat something that you struggle with, if that someone is wiser in the choice of skills and their use than you might currently be with your choice and use of skills.

SotA is now F2P, so you don't HAVE to put out any real $$ if you don't wish to. However, to have a great game moving forward means that dev's must be paid to do it - and the cash store (as you call it) is where that $$ for development comes from.

If you're down and out and just can not afford any small amount of $$ to help with the bills, then just enjoy the game while it's here and don't worry about it.

However, if you're able, you might consider what many have done and that is to join the Rewards Program like I did. In my opinion it's WELL WORTH IT. It's $9 / month and the 900 COTO's alone is worth it to me, not to mention you get ALL the Livestream Stretch Goals, and a bunch of other stuff every month. Plus you get to feel good that you're doing your share to help pay the bills and move SotA forward. (Here's a link so you can see what you get every month ).

Regarding loot drops, you and I are in complete agreement that Chris (the lead dev) needs to be WAY less stingy with what drops, how much and how often.

In the end, I hope you have a good time with us.

I'm Robert Frost ingame, so feel free to add me as a friend and whisper if you have questions or just to say howdy.

Ataniiq, Sentinel2, Frogtown and 3 others like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Frogtown. First off as mentioned this is a totally crowdfunded game. Don't pay attention to the crown store if you don't want to since a lot of things in it have a craftable version. Also you can even buy cotos in game for gold as well.

And not all player towns are empty. Check Wizards Rest behind owlshead in hidden Vale for example. A lot of players put a lot of work into their towns to make them great places to live or even to visit. I created School of Rock for the public to tour and also as a place to go and enjoy the music system the game has. Also I created Jump for joy jumping course for entertainment. Point at signs to read them.

Also there are themed towns, role-playing towns, and even strictly merchant towns. To know if a town is empty before entering while on the map point at the name of the town or scene and you will see a description like how many player vendors it has, if there is an Oracle, quests, and which devotional shrines the town has.

Also the teleport to zone scrolls do the same thing for every location you visit. Place them on your utility bar to see details of each scene to remind you of what is in them. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Sentinel2, Frogtown and FrostII like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to SOTA!

Frogtown and FrostII like this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Loot/Gold is typically better in higher tier areas. In the beginning it’s pretty low, but you will get more eventually.

You can also purchase COTO’s from players from the gold you get in game as well as selling the loot creatures drop. You can also find COTO’s in game. I just found 16 a few minutes ago! :D

Frogtown and FrostII like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome!

You can get an idea of whether the town is inhabited (player town, not NPC town) by how many houses are on the world map. You can also tell if someone is inside by looking to see if the lights are on and smoke coming from the chimneys.

7. Frogtown

Frogtown Avatar

Oh wow. I did not know that. Thank you!

Vladamir Begemot and FrostII like this.
  8. Frogtown

Frogtown Avatar

Update: Still addicted, this game is amazing. There is so much to do... Also, major shout outs to the streamers and the folks on Avatar radio... the community is great and really helped solidify this addiction.

One question though, how are people making their own fancy heraldry things?

9. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    They got them as part of a pledge, or they purchase the item from the COTO Shop. You can also find people
    selling them for in game gold from time to time as well.

You go here to design it. You can use reconstructed ones or upload your own following the rules.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=84132

I'm not 100% sure if you have to buy a voucher to do the design or not. anyone care to chime in?

10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Heraldry is available for a fee. I don't remember how much it is currently. Mine came as a pledge reward from the kickstarter days.

And Welcome!

11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Found it https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=55262

Under "Heraldry Unlock Voucher". Goes for $25

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ahh. Ok. I was under the impression Heraldry was made available for anyone with a voucher now. Not sure where I came to understand that. Thx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.