New Profession: Bee Keeper

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by dgoodge, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgoodge

dgoodge Avatar

Is there room in the game for a new crafting profession titled, Bee Keeper?

Bee Keepers could:
    • Craft Honey for:
      • Mead
      • Food Recipes
      • Small Health/Focus regenerative boost for a short time if eaten raw
      • Enhance Potions
    • Craft Wax for:
      • The wax components in other crafting recipes
      • Crafting candles/candelabras
    • Craft different types of wax:
      • Produced by different types of bees
      • Plant based waxes...?
      • Supplement bees wax with plant wax to make different kinds of wax
    • Use Dyes to:
      • Craft colored wax
      • Craft colored lighting effects from candles/candelabras

Risks of Being a Bee Keeper:
      • Low level Bee Keepers could potentially take damage when they fail a Bee Keeping check and agitate the bees.
      • The damage could be substantial in the early levels, and taper off in the higher levels.
      • Beehives need to be tended, like some plants, in order to mature.
      • Bees could have a limited number of uses (representing their lifespans)
        • Higher skill level allows more uses/less loss during the Beehive tending process

That's the basic idea off the top of my head.

Is this a viable idea? Is there room/desire/need for another profession in the game?

- Handsome Dan
    EVL (Every Virtue is Lasting)

2. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Missing the most important part of beekeeping. It helps make the plants around the hives grow better. Drop 1 beehive and it could increase results from a portion of the plants being grown in your lot. More beehives could affect more plants. Too many beehives and it starts spreading into your neighbors yards and stinging them. 8^)

All kidding aside, I would love this mechanic for the wax, honey, and the pollination of the plants I'd be growing.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Love it. I doubt they will go for the wax thing though, since I think its part of the game plan for the economy that we cant produce the basic fuels.

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, they just make it "beeswax" and make it for candles or food additives or a hundred other things other than a crafting fuel.

Apiculture has been brought up a few times, especially as it could tie into agriculture. Keeping bees near plants could produce higher yields, more pollinated seeds, and various types of honey (apple honey, clover honey, etc etc)

In fact, I think I asked about apiculture in the hangout for the release that brought in the first run at agriculture.. and was told it was "a good idea but not in scope for Ep 1".

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

No, not without them must be NAKED like in one of the Ultima single player games. ;)

7. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

You must be referring to the bee cave in Ultima 7 Black Gate ;-)

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This is an idea well past it's prime!
    [​IMG]

(Resurrected Thread)
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord Approved~

Witcheypoo, 2112Starman and Bow Vale like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Great, hope is part of brewery

Witcheypoo and Time Lord like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well... the answer is YES when @Browncoat Jayson asked...
    The trouble is ...hrm... when?
    Maybe one needs a timelord to find out in which timeline such a thing could exist...
    [​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I remember this topic coming up in a telethon like 2 years ago and "the jira was opened".

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Rereading the suggestion again (after Time Lord’s usage of his resurrection abilities) I still think it could be an interesting possibility but I think this will be just possible if breeding in general is developed. If breeding is there this could be an adaption of this mechanic. But I do not think we would need male bees as they are without further benefit and simply assume that males are generated by the way...or do the bee keeper should manually seperate them out to maximize the production?

At low level skills you would mostly be busy taking care of the bees that they do not die. I think this would be the base work till e.g. reaching skill level 60 and as a new beekeeper you would often have to buy some new bees or even a new colony of bees, between skill lvl 60 and GM you are most of the time able to let the bees survive and at reaching GM you have good possibilities to easily create new bee colonies if you like to do.

Beehives could have different sizes. The smaller ones would be the starter version while the larger ones require more skill to be used but maybe the numbers of bees in a hive should be smaller than in RL. Maybe small ones take up to 10 bees + 1 queen, medium ones up to 20 + 1 queen and large ones up to 30 + 1 queen as I think with hundreds or thousands of bees the management would be too difficult. :p
    The size of the hive could also define the production and reproduction of the bees.
    Small = 2 bee larva are developed within 24 hours, 1 wax per 24 hours per bee, 0.1 honey per day per bee
    Medium = 3 bee larva are developed within 24 hours, 1.1 wax per 24 hours per bee, 0.115 honey per day per bee
    Large = 5 bee larva are developed within 24 hours, 1.2 wax per 24 hours per bee, 0.125 honey per day per bee

A bee hive would require at least one queen that may live one ingame year while the bees maybe just live one ingame month. To have more than one queen is just for a short time possible…maybe one ingame week or lesser. As long as there is a second qeen you are able to take one queen to a different hive to create a new colony. If you do nothing the younger queen will replace the older queen.

Normally just the bees are dying (illnesses,...) but if the percentage of bees is below a value (e.g. below 25% of the size of the beehive) there is a possibility that also the queen is dying.

Harvesting honey and wax is directly influencing the population of the beehive e.g. taking too much and there might be insufficient bees in the next month….so basically your avatar has to find a balance between taking resources out of the hive and keeping enough bees alive.

Illnesses and infestations could influence the hives population/production and you may need crafting products of other avatars (a cure potion for bees (alchemistry), …)

As already mentioned bees and agriculture could profit from each other but as bees can fly in a large area I would suggest to create “scene wide buffs”… this might be too complex but this is just a suggestion. ;)
    The buff for bees depending on the average value of agricultural planting sites in the status bloom or harvest (last two stages). A check each hour is e.g. counting all fitting planting sites in this scene and this value is used for all bees in this scene. If e.g. the production timer of a hive is triggered the for this hour set value is used.

0-50 planting sites = 0% higher chances for a not returning bee, 0 % lesser chance for illnesses, 0% more production of hives

More than 1000 planting sites = 10% higher chances for a not returning bee, 10 % lesser chance for illnesses, 10% more production of hives

The buff for agriculture could be calculated each hour too and could count the value of alive and healthy bees in the scene.

0-50 bees = 0% higher chances for illnesses, 0% lesser chance for pests, 0% more crops

More than 1000 bees = 10% higher chances for illnesses, 10% lesser chance for pests, 10% more crops

As greenhouse planting sites are sealed up they may not count in the calculation as there is no way bees could get into or get out of a greenhouse…maybe for bees in greenhouses just the planting sites/bees inside this greenhouse count.
    Agriculture and bees would benefit and if both would like to have a good income the interests have to be coordinated. (e.g. crop rotation)

Maybe even the scenes climate/weather could have an influence on bees (and crops too).
    Tropical zone = whole year 110% base production for bees
    Temperate zone = 125% base production during spring and summer, 75% base production during autumn, 25% base production during winter for bees
    Permanent frost zone = whole year 25% base production for bees

storm/blizzard/hurricane = -75% to base production
    rain/heatwave = -50 % to base production
    sunshine = +25% to base production

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  13. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

I like it....

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.