New sandbox mmo from UO designer

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by eli, Oct 6, 2019.

1. eli

eli Avatar

What do you think its impact will be on sota?

Many, including me, have been extra supportive of this game due to our love or nostalgia of UO.

Will this project take some of that support?

Will you love sota more regardless of how this new game turns out?

Will taking the "UO successor" pressure off of sota allow it to find more of its own identity?

Or is this no different than any other mmo being released?

Curious to hear the community's thoughts.

Edit: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...-designer-raph-koster-making-new-sandbox-mmo/ for context

2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I think it's too early to say if this has any effect at all on Shroud. For one, if they only just now announced that they are working on something it might be years till they come out with a game. After that the game has to actually be good for it to matter, and even if it is good it might not really be in the same niche as Shroud, since if they are shooting for true mass appeal they will almost inevitably have to go to sharding or instancing. Shroud has some unique features like owning property in NPC cities that can't be replicated in a game like that.

Aurelius Silverson and eli like this.
  3. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

Well it depends, they need a few things, a vision that can be executed with a working business model. Depending on how they release it, make sure the game's mechanics and world are completed and in working fashion... with that alone it has a chance of cannibalizing SotA's player base maybe... heck I for one, would be ok if EA finally did a UO2, my standards have gotten really low, I know.

#nomoremoney

Boris Mondragon, eli and arcdevil like this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Avatar

Maybe some. But, not for a while. MMO, especially good ones, take years to build. After all, MMOs are the most complex type of games to code.

Sure. Gamers come and go from games all the time. MMO gamers more so.

I don't know about loving SOTA more. But, I will say that it has been more than a decade since I've found a game as enjoyable as SOTA. Even WOW only managed to keep my attention for a little over a year. Well beyond that with SOTA.

I've never seen SOTA as a successor to UO. When I first heard about it, I got the "if UO was built with modern systems" kinda vibe.

MMOs are tough to build. I sure hope they manage to Playable Worlds does manage to build something different. I like different. It's one of the things I like about SOTA.

5. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

It's quite someway off but will certainly be keeping a close eye on it as I loved UO and SWG so fingers crossed.

In the meantime Legends of Aria is scratching my UO itch and I must say am enjoying it alot !

Cordelayne, Deathadder, eli and 2 others like this.
  6. ephialtes

ephialtes Avatar

I am intrigued by how its approach to solo play and game narrative will compare to SotA.

“We’re definitely supporting solo play, it’s critical to reaching the breadth of audience we want,” Koster affirmed. “A game being soloable, and a game building community aren’t at all incompatible. As far as story – we have a team with veterans from DC and Marvel and Disney, we’re very much interested in creating a new fictional universe that people can fall into, and we’re using best practices we’ve learned from our time working with comics and Hollywood IP and the like. So while it’s still an MMO world, we are paying a lot of attention to narrative.”
    https://gamedaily.biz/article/1263/...-worlds-lands-27m-to-create-a-new-kind-of-mmo

At least, it is supposed to be a game not a descendant of Second Life.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-worlds-has-a-different-mindset-on-engagement
    "it is a game first rather than a virtual social space, a Facebook Horizon-style project, or a descendant of Second Life"

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

No Lord British = no ultima online sequel. Simple and done.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ohh damn, I’m a major Raph fan.

Raph 2020

Alleine Dragonfyre and amarious like this.
  9. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Avatar

hope they make a good and fun game...

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

It's not going to be a UO sequel or even related to UO.

Raph Koster designed most of the systems in UO and Star Wars Galaxies. I'm extremely excited!

@eli No need to pick sides. A lot of us play multiple games. I'm playing Borderlands 3 right now ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:08 AM
    Cordelayne likes this.
  11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Update - sounds like they are about to change LoA to a full PK gank fest (crazily in my opinion) so will probably be leaving that particular game behind very soon :(

12. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I like quite a lot of Raph Koster's work on the theory of games design, so I'll be very interested to see how much of that comes through in the final version of this mmo - but it's a long, long way off, and I can't see it having much impact at all on SotA.

I doubt it'll even have much direct relation to UO, the journalists always mention every time they report on what Raph is doing,it because of it's status in mmo history, but this is a completely new thing he's doing now. Sure, the 'lessons learned' from UO will be there, but alongside all he's also learned in the past decades from other projects plus his own thinking. The development team mentioned so far is intriguing, the Yahoo Finance writeup lists :

"Joining Koster and Goldberg, who will act as head of business, strategy, and corporate development for Playable Worlds, are Dorian Ouer (Chief Technology Officer), a veteran comic book illustrator for Marvel and DC and award-winning art director for MMOs, Mat Broome (Studio Art Director), Brian Crowder (Lead Server Engineer) and veteran developer Greg Costikyan (Lead Game Designer)."

So one name also from way back in UO development (Brian Crowder), and I recognise Greg Kostikyan from a long history of boardgames and RPGs as well as some computer gaming (I suspect his influence bled into SotA in a couple of ways as several of the devs mentioned his games in passing on streams or the forum - especially from Paranoia, where 'the computer is your friend' ).

13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I never liked Raph Koster's philosophy about UO, and I believe no one else did either... His closed mindedness of change (PK switch) was the main reason his contract was never renewed...