New server PvP + Multiplyers Only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abydos, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

In my opinion, the whole concept of a PvP Multiplayer Only Server is utter and complete nonsense. That is if Portalarium has any hope of producing a successful game. Doing what is asked for would split off a few players at extraordinary expense to Portalarium with zero benefits to the game, their livelihood, and our donations to the development of Shroud of the Avatar all for the pleasure of a few that would soon find an empty world in which to play.

2. lordbacon

lordbacon Avatar

very good idea +1

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think teminology is important here. Basically our "modes" are like servers. What could be done is just add another mode. We could have spo/fo/mpo/ and hardcore mpo. This would not segregate anyone, they would not have ti make different characters and they could play any and all of the modes still.

lollie, smack, Abydos and 3 others like this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that it is a psychological issue. PvPers would still know that there are people playing in the same world who cannot be attacked. But on a different server, all players could be attacked.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

On the Hardcore mode it "could" be forced pvp mode. Or full loot also. Its just an idea :)

6. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

We dont need another server. When a good ammount of players will play many of them will play PVP too.
    But we need to solve the problem of SPO mode. When guys who play SPO can easily switch to MPO mode it is bad, when guys can use resources they gain in SPO mode in MPO it is epicfail, when mines are single player locations it is again epicfail. Really the problem of SPO related to almost all aspects of the game. Its impossible to build healthy mmorpg universe when there is transfer of resources and exp from SPO. It is probably main, core problem of SOTA.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

the thing is this is not supposed to be an mmorpg, its not even an mmo really. Yes you have mutiplayer but its not nor never was supposed to massive. With the instancing and the filter system you are not going to be able to see (x) amount of people at one time.

8. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

A MILLION times yes!

I might even start playing again instead of dealing with the Barbie Playhouse Online we currently have today.

9. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Best part of that was all the whining and crying stopped. We were free to kill each other at will and most everyone was adult enough to handle it. If they weren't, we ran them off the server.

Heaven.

10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

People seem to think PvP is about risk. That's not even amount the top 5 reasons.

PvP is about player agency. Its allowing skilled players to affect outcomes and differentiate themselves through skill, rather than RNG or grind.

Trying to remove PvP completely guts the game into a dollhouse and grindfest.

UO cut the world in half because they couldn't figure out. But we've had 20 years of examples on how to make PvP meaningful.

11. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

So is playing dress-up with dolls and houses.

Portalarium is going to have to offer a bit more if they want this to blossom into an actual game. So far it's not looking good.

Oh right, I forgot:

It's not finished. It's early access. This is an alpha. They're not done yet. More to come. Soon™

Sir Cabirus and Apollyon9515 like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

...but noone has got it right, yet. There is certainly room for improvement compared to any game that has come before, especially in this genre. Hopefully, LB and Chris won't be afraid to innovate here.

13. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

What a spooker suggestion. Then they would be like ghosts in the same world, you cant see them, but you KNOW they are there.....

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Would this server have different mechanics, systems, rules? Or would it exactly the same only 100% PvP and always multiplayer?

15. CharlieChaos

CharlieChaos Avatar

Im confused why can't you just flag PvP and not worry about the people you can't attack BOOM! open world PvP for you problem solved @Darkstar send me my commission check for solving this issue.

Seriously though they did mention they will be talking about PvP at the last telethon and I am one of those waiting for some type of faction system and Alliance chats and what not but I don't see the need for a whole server or different instance. Eventually people who want PvP will start to gather around certain area's and you will see fights

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

A couple months ago I told a PvP guild not to bother with SOTA, not for lack of love, but because extreme PvP gameplay is just not part of the vision. Adding new worlds or full loot is not going to change that. It has to come from game design. Players have been promised optional PvP, that pretty much sums up the pecking order.

There is still PvP of a more casual variety. Nothing is perfect. Make the best of it. There is plenty of awesome stuff.

lollie and smack like this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

There aren't enough PvP-flagged players to even warrant a separate, segregated world that is PvP-only. If you build it, they will not come. PvP needs more love in the game before even considering this or even a simple PvP online mode (filter) like SPO/FPO/etc.

Plus, everyone is poor as hell and the economy is broken. Nobody's gonna risk what little they have in PvP if they can't even sustain themselves in PvE.

Elwyn, Duke Avery and Tahru like this.
  18. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

You can shout about it all you want, it aint gonna happen period. Its not in the design model, it is a single world server model, where the central server coordinates and authenticates and clients do some of the work hence allowing
    this system to work.

If however you are asking for a Different Mode then that is an entirely different question, ie solo/friends / mmo pve only / mmo pvp only / mmo mixed.
    There would be no reason for them to not consider this, they may disagree and dismiss it, as I think personaly it would seperate the playerbase more and not achieve anything, but if thats what your asking for then its a different matter.

19. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Ofc it would separate the player base that is exactly what's being asked for. I want to be separated from pve carebare land. Being on the same server and Co existence are nothe the same thing.

20. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Adding a PvP mode is a pretty interesting idea and sounds much better to me than the current (or any) flagging system.

Abydos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.