New stuff on the addon store!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Very well said envy. I actually think this is a good thing that CF vendors and crafting stations are available through the addon store at more reasonable prices. It s just the way it s done that leaves to be desired.

Hornpipe and Woodchuck like this.
  2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Thanks @E n v y That's more straight and to the point. Several thing could have been done different here.

Now on to all the other wild speculation.

I Never mentioned any secondary market in my post. I Never said anything about RMT.

But what I WILL point to is all those who have posted on their $500 $1200 $ 3100 pledge / bundle or any other person who went out of their way to spend $$ on pledge rewards and bundles to get said RARE Items and now what's the point in ANYONE buying a bundle?

Why spend $1300 when i can put it together for say $500 separately ... that's a $800 LOSS. That's simple business 101

Let's take LOT Deeds as a good example of things going on . WHY would someone go pay $85 for a row lot in the store when they know they now get one FREE if they complete the game?
    Or the fact that there are so many on the market that you can get them for less than 1/2 the store price on a secondary market or IGG CHEAP.

Killing The Market. Their Own Market.

Now I'm no one special.. I'm just a guy who plays games and calls things like I See Them.
    I would venture a guess that many others saw what i did as per all the comments above.

Thanks

Bom, Sonja, 3devious and 9 others like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Tax Free Deeds.

4. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

As I Pointed Out Including Tax Free

5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

If noone buy bundles, then tax free deed prices will skyrocket. Because thats how economy 101 works.

Witcheypoo, Nelzie, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  6. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @EMPstrike, The comment was to show that there could be a difference between the pledge item and the add-on store item.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Howdy o/

Yes but the crafting stations each look different already so i wanted to point out that in the case of the tools, the rarer ones have a weaker bonus as well as looking different

Witcheypoo and Sher Shadowleaf like this.
  8. Vampiero

Vampiero Avatar

Here in lies the problem, this is a niche game, with HUGE expectations set out from the start, it is completely crowd funded, therefore the world is thankful to all who could pledge, and all those who have backed and supported this game for so many years.
    Eventually though, if you want the company or the game to be successful to more than just those of you who can afford it and or did back @ the kickstart and pledge, then you have to adjust things so as to make it a viable market to the "average" even "casual" client. I know this is a bitter pill to swallow but that is the simple truth of it, either that or accept the small population, plan on it getting even smaller, prepare to fork out even more, and probably larger amounts of money to see this thing through.

I was excited to see I could actually go purchase a CFV when I came to the forums today, until I went to the store and seen the price, I couldn't afford a bundle before to get one, and although I could afford to purchase one now, I feel it is a crazy price and will not. The real money cost of this game it outlandish, I would love a town or city lot, and tax free would be even better, but food on the table, real world bills, and quality of REAL life comes first.. It would be more advantageous for the port to place items on the store to sell, not to make there bills with one or two purchase's a week.. and yes I know there bills are more than that, since you can't read sarcasm.

If a new player came in and seen that over the course of the next few months they could buy city lot with and put a keep on it for under a $100 and then spend $5 per or so to put vendors on it, then wow...I would imagine that the population that has boomed a couple of times might have stayed, and grown with each boom not dropped off after the story lines do, since after that its either grind like a maniac, or spend real money, but...
    The new player arrives, enjoys the game, meets some "great" people makes some new friends, wants to get a nice pad, talks to his friends to learn how, goes the to Port Store, HOLY SH#IBALLS batman.. I make 17.00/hour and you want me to pay 375.00 for a deed and home.. their heart dies a little because, well rent, car payment, food.... guess I ll finish the game and get the free row lot deed, and be unhappy that although I work my arse off in real life, I cant even have what I want in a game.

This game ready or not released, and the real money your asking for is HUGE, and the anger expressed by this community is unsettling considering you all should have known that eventually these components you spent huge on to "fund the beginning of New Britannia" would have to be made available to the general public if the game where to survive, and should be offered at a reasonable price, especially with a game that teeters so close to the edge of extinction as this one seemingly does.

9. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

I'm a little worried about hanging about now. I play games to get away from things like money, war, world problems. It seems like everyone's a bit hung up over making and losing a buck here !! *Stumbles around in pain and confusion*

Witcheypoo, Mishras, moko and 5 others like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I feel you, Keldorn... The easiest way to avoid it is to just avoid the forums.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Only the people whose brains lock up when they see that and think that must be the ONLY way to do it. It is not. You can buy generic houses and "regular" player vendors for 20k or so at an NPC, or even craft one. Even the more desirable types of houses (greenhouse row, shop row, village inn) have a crafted equivalent. You can get a (bound to account) row lot deed for finishing the main quest line. A regular player vendor will cost you over time, but that depends on how many 10%s are worth $30-$40 for you. And many players will share housing and vendors with you.

Just because a Rolls Royce costs six figures (or maybe seven?) doesn't mean that there aren't Scions and Kias that cost in the low five figures. Nor does it mean that driving a Rolls will automatically get you a six figure income. (the equivalent of pay-to-win)

They money they are asking is 40 bucks for the buy-to-play game key. Anything else is completely optional, but it would be nice to pay something to keep the lights on. Almost everything that can be bought in the store can be resold by another player for in-game gold.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Sonja and Arradin like this.
  12. Vampiero

Vampiero Avatar

No need to insult humanity. My brain didn't lock up when I seen the store price's my brain said, yep this game is a money grab. I have shopped around in game, I know the things I can purchase off of other players, I was helped out in the beginning with a free place to lay my head, I did finish the game and get my own row lot deed, and I do help buy offering out a level of my home to help out other new players. The HUGE difference is that I am not monetarily invested in this game as ALOT of others are. I see it as a game from a slightly more than casual players point of view. I have spent a couple of hundred dollars on the store, and I actually pay a monthly fee by choice. So no my brain didn't lock up, on the contrary thinking that only getting the 1% to spend ALOT all at once, instead of thinking about getting the 99% to spend a little all the time sounds like a locked up brain to me.

13. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Oh but I'm sure that there are not so many people who think that lowering the price of CF vendors and crafting stations is a bad thing, like you. Personaly, I'm all for such an idea in the absolute.

Problem is :
    1. Everyone should be able to acquire those directly with in game gold instead of COTOs and no, @Elwyn , the game SHOULD NOT need more money now it's released, backed with millions of dollars and after almost 6 years of development.
    2. All of this should have been stated from the start, like many other things about this game, in order to avoid much disappointment.
    With such move, Portalarium made two mistakes in my opinion :
    1. They lowered the trust that most people can have about how much they can get back from every item in game, given the fact that RMT have been allowed and that it's now one of the biggest aspect of this game (whether you are for or against it).
    2. Yes they made things more accessible to new players, but mostly, they put the marketplace in competition with them in a surprise move which means that they did not fix the Pay-to-Win aspect at all. They have just sorted things out to their own advantage (a commission free vendor or a crafting station is free of charge for them when a marketplace guy has to buy it before even thinking about selling, sometimes with heavy losses). I mean, is everyone here really thinking that paying $39 for a CF vendor is a good deal in the absolute ? It's the price of a game as a whole !
    Funny thing here is that a lot of companies get heavily bashed because those seek to stifle the second-hand market. But here, Portalarium can do that and many people are fine with it. Let's say : Why not ? I will wait some further months just to remember everyone their own words when they will see what's next. :D *grab popcorns*

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  14. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

And with each release, Portalarium added new items that quite possibly exceed the total amount lost. Shooter Jennings items was a huge bonus for about 200 people. Healthy dose of new Livestream reward items from the release. Looks like DragonCon 2018 cloaks are going to be ultra rare... People getting involved still seem to benefit greatly.

I'm trying not to argue, but I'm not seeing a holistic view of the circumstances. You say "Killing the Market"-- it might be wounding, or it might be strengthening. Some changes in a few places to encourage spending, participating, and the economy shouldn't collapse the entirety of any SotA market. Arguably, it changes the Bundles "Buy and Strip" RMT a bit for profitability, but "Killing" is a strong word.

From yesterday, Discord, Blood Bay Channel:

Atos
    Yesterday at 10:51 AM

BTW, pretty well known that I stay out of the money and sales side of things but I know Starr put together a spreadsheet of what you got in the bundle and broke it down as best he could by price and then added 50-100% to make sure bundles were still a steal.

---

I see there is a disagreement in the bundle value here. However, it appears that Portalarium already attempted to address this issue. I have no opinion because this is a spreadsheet argument combined with a basic question of what type of packaging players would like to buy their items with.

Sincerely,

Engineer

Witcheypoo, Verit, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Perhaps showing this 'breakdown' of prices would help settle the perception that its no longer worth spending on a bundle and instead buying the individual items?
    It seems that way to me, but I haven't added it up.
    You know, like in the actual bundle or whatever - for everything that can be bought on its own, put the cash (or coto) price to show the savings.

I'm not overly bothered about the whole thing personally. I paid the money to get the things but mostly because I wanted to support the game, not because I needed more crap. I've gotten to enjoy my deeds, cf vendors, pets, furniture, tools, tables, whatever - for nearly two years before this big "value depreciation" but as I have no plans to ever re-sell any of it, its entirely moot. I can see why people who are playing the game for the purpose of making money have an issue with it - its pretty clear. And yeah, it sucks if you bought a CF vendor last week for $100 and today its worth $40. But I mean, this is in-game goods, not investment bonds. Anything can happen. You can spend a boatload of money - in game gold or otherwise, on an item that gets nerfed or the drop rate changes, and guess what? Its now worthless. Crap happens. But I don't see any "promises" being broken here - the pledge items are still unique, they still have collector value and rarity and prestige and whatever. Having different items with the same functionality I have no issue with.

The bundle stuff? Irks me a bit more, because while the "value" of the individual items may not be high, the investment level required to get them was significant, which kept them scarce.
    I personally wont be buying any more bundles unless the price is significantly lowered, because just looking at the shop I can cherry pick the deed, the cf vendor, and the few deco items I want and spend about half the list price. The main appeal of bundles was they were the only way to get certain things and the value of the deed/vendor (on the player resale market, at least) made it a reasonable investment even if your purpose was not in fact reselling. And I feel I've gotten my use out of them so I'm not drowning in regret, but I don't think they're a great deal anymore, either. I've always felt the main carrot here was the tax free deed - if I want deco, I'll buy deco and be choosier about which items I pay for.

16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think it's all they have left. The game seems to have been in a death spiral for some time. Sacking half the studio should have been a marker everyone recognised, yet oddly I sense some people still don't see it.

Sonja, 3devious, Pikegirl and 5 others like this.
  17. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Then I apologize, I misread it.

Mishikal likes this.
  18. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

(Quote someone else)

(Rant + Disagree) - Concession
    ----------------------------------------------
    Reality - (Ego + Experience)

(Veer off topic)

(Insert wall of text here)

(Insert numbered list of ideas here)

(Funny picture goes here)

(Agree with someone)

(Rage quit thread....until tomorrow)

That is all I have to contribute today. I hope it made you smile.

Have a great day everyone!

19. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Your WHOLE post speaks a lot of sense but i didn't want to quote it all as it would take up a lot of space!

All true...BUT...a new player doesn't know this or should have/ or would investigate to find these details out. people generally look at a new game to play, i go by here how i would do things, is to read a little on the game on the store page/website, read reviews(not good in this case), look at the release date, and judge if its worth their time. For me if i was a new player there are a number of warning signs that would put me off playing.

1) Already released, in fact we on Release 57. I know this is not totally true as 75%+ of those releases are pre release but the high release number is off putting to a new player i imagine....57 months behind is likely what it reads to a new player. Personally even though it is a badge of achievement for the devs and us, i would get rid of the release number as it signifies that people are t0o late to the party. Other reasonings in number 3 as to why monthly releases/main content delivery needs to change.

2) Looking at the store page and seeing those prices. You want me to pay what??? for something that is generally free in most other games?? Decorations that can cost the price of a AAA game ( getting better in most cases now)….Good luck getting someone interested in your world when the cost of entry for even the house (lots) left that others have either not wanted or have already paid and are not even using...New players are being asked to pay comparable amounts for the worst locations in the game, if they were good locations and the game was healthy, wouldn't they already be bought up is how i would be looking at it...

For episode 2, i would have the new lands housing only be bought with in game currency, meaning every one has a fair chance at ownership But this still would have issues due to the fact that old players have a serious advantage in terms of monies earned and knowledge. Again, not attractive to a new player as they miss out on anything perceived good and left to pick the scraps up, but still fairer and more attractive to the type of gamer we need to now attract, not the ones flushed with cash wanting to purchase house deeds from the store ( i think we likely have most of the worlds players already in this case, or had them) but those that will actually play the game and let their actions speak. A method of maybe only having lot deeds drop as random loot for the new lands on any type mob would help equalise players, ie: play more, have more chance at something and would attract players.

3) Reviews...They are not good unfortunately and with the method of monthly releases this imo will never likely change much or be a veeeery slooow uptick at best. Personally id scrap most of the content from each release and bundle it all up for an expansion. This would have many advantages i feel:

A new expansion is a new dawn, a time of monumental change, a time of 'this is a great time to start' a new game/return as people are then again on an even'ish footing. People are more willing to bypass overall rating to see if the most recent ratings are encouraging. Review sites are willing to relook at a game if a major new expansion is released, not the case with monthly releases as mostly this just a slight change here and there and not worthy of a new review. We NEED hype, an explosion, a BOOM, not a dribble of new content ( i love monthly releases and hats off to the devs for all they have done), to attract a BIG group of new and returning players. Monthly content while exciting to us players already in the game, is not to ones not playing, and also has the effect of making them feel too far behind....They don't want to read 57 massively long posts to get up to speed...They want to see that the devs have made monumental changes to the structure of the game and it is now a game that is again welcoming to a new player...

From RMT to the store, the market has been overpriced and not attractive to new players. The market in its previous form ( we need MORE changes) needs to die and a new fairer method where people play the game and are rewarded for their efforts need to be the norm....imo. Sure people that have 'invested' in the RMT side of things are going to get burned...but if we carry on the present course their ship is going to sink anyhow, with injecting new blood then they have a hope of keeping their heads above water. There is no point in being the richest man in the graveyard, and in this case the graveyard of a game.....

Witcheypoo, Xandra7, Gorthyn and 8 others like this.
  20. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

This channel on their official server? I'm not seeing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.