New stuff on the addon store!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

:) i found that photo doing a google search on woodchucks so i can’t say definitively it is one, lol. the search results seemed to contain all sorts of critters :D

i did not know prairie dogs could be pets!

Witcheypoo and StrangerDiamond like this.
  2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

The only players who should be looking at this game as an investment are... those who took part in the Seed Invest.

Everything else, all the digital items, the boxed game and things that will come with that, everything else has no intrinsic value, like action figure collecting and reselling. If there's a market for it... great, if there isn't? Oh well, you have a piece of plastic sitting on a shelf in a plastic bubble attached to cardboard.

Nothing we acquire in this game has any "investment" value. If you want to invest in something, open up an IRA, anyone can do that.

Elwyn, Witcheypoo, Scanphor and 2 others like this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Tell that to Richard Garriott.

StrangerDiamond likes this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Cars are never an investment.

...and I own a literal limited edition, as in they originally only build 2000 of this model car and now? There's MAYBE 1400 of them left in the world. They still sell, with low miles, near what they originally sold for or a wee bit more, but it's still not an investment. They are a depreciating asset, until they are so old and rare that... maybe there is market for them at obscene prices.

Who wants to sit and care for a car for 20 to 40+ years though?

Witcheypoo and Mishikal like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Give all the bundle-baught merchants a kobold, viking, elven, and cultist skin \o/

And give the pledge ones a founder/benefactor skin #heraldry

6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Kicking in to Portalarium has never been an investment until the Seed Invest happened. Prior to that, every penny put into this game had been a risky endeavor for getting ANYTHING out of the money put in.

They released a game! It's fun, there's things to do, they keep expanding it. This is great! The money spent (that should be considered lost) did the job, kudos to all of us who kicked in and bought things while this game grew in development. Keep playing it, bring in others, or don't.

7. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Can you please share your sources ?.Also, it soesn't seem like the things added on the store are CRAFTED, not even paid with gold coins. And finaly, it somewhat contradicts the kickstarter reward description which is stating "expert level" exclusive stations. Note that those stations were not presented as "special cosmetics" but with the words "expert" and "level" which have a meaning. like. expert. level ?

Sonja and StrangerDiamond like this.
  8. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Source : Oxford Dictionnary
    investment.
    the act of putting money or effort into something to make a profit OR achieve a result

Seems like you cut an important part of the definition. For my company investing money in air conditioners in order to provide its employees with more comfort. Or a kickstarter backer who invest money in Shroud in order to get a good single player story driven experience.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  9. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

... if you note, I did point out that the results of having a game to play around in, has been achieved.

You're complaining about it as a monetary return investment. Unless you kicked in on the Seed Invest... you shouldn't expect or hope to achieve anything of value out of the game. All of the initial pledge awards and costs? That could have evaporated into "hookers and blow" and we could be sitting around a forum wondering when the first alpha will be released or twiddling our thumbs like everyone on the Star Citizen forums, waiting for a game so complex and time consuming that by the time it is FINALLY released... they will discover that they completely screwed themselves with hubris, because ain't nobody going to have that kind of time to wait 45 minutes to 4 days for a starship to delivered.

They'll go play something else and spend their money elsewhere.

We have a game. If you can sell the items in your account for some spending money... Cool, go and do it.

10. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I don't have a list of sources... but I've heard it said before in one of the MANY livestreams that have taken place over the years. Secondly, things that are added to the store are also purchasable later in game for in-game currency (COTO). Lastly, a crafting station with a special skin - would fit "exclusive" if it weren't re-produced in the game later - and "expert level" describes that the station is a +5 station which fits the meanin as far as I can tell.

Witcheypoo and Mishikal like this.
  11. Lace

Lace Avatar

So my 2 cents after reading all sides in the past 15+ pages

Crafting Stations
    As I stated, they had said years ago that we would have the ability to craft better crafting stations so the +5 is not the end game. Should the ones in the store perhaps been maybe +4 instead of 5 ... hmmm. Most folks craft in POT crafting pavilion areas, its social and a great aspect of the game. So making the one in the store lessor creates more inequality from that aspect. I went back and forth, but I think they are fine as they did it.

When we get the ability to create our own crafting stations, what would be nice is to be able to reshape the founder/benefactor stations into the new models, and retain the flags that are on the front of them. Anything less would in fact devalue them, and why would you want the founder/benefactor one when you could make a better one. Keep the skin of the station unique. OR with the 'upgrade' make the resultant fancier on the benefactor/founder ones distinct. That should end all the issues with those.

Commission Free Vendors
    RMT should have no affect on a games development or price points. The value of something is what folks are willing to pay for it at any given time. People perceived the value of a CFV at over a 100. Both sellers and buyers. The game has no commitment to perceived value. In fact I am pretty sure if you read the TOS, none of us own anything. I am thankful to be able to pick up a couple more. (still think it sucks pets and vendors count against each other in npc counts on lots)

I see a lot of homes with no vendors and that makes me a little sad. I am hoping to see this change, and bring more competition to the market, rather than the overpriced stuff I see for sale in many places, because they have no competition and the players have limited choices in purchasing.

In General
    I do not see this as a bait and switch as they have said several times over the years that both tables and vendors were not finite/exclusive. They seemed finite from the pledges, then came bundles, single sales was the next logical step in backing the game. I personally feel it is a very good thing for the players of the game, and I truly do not feel it was a money grab from them needing money as so many naysayers bring up. It was a QOL improvement for the 'have nots', and some of the 'haves' I have now learned are pretty mean spirited. You had your perceived exclusivity for several years of persistence and during all the wipe times. I am glad to see the game become more accessible to all. I just wish it had been sooner.

Folks have their hardcore feelings of being slighted and nothing anyone says will change that, just like you cannot change my mind. I wish you all well, and perhaps over time we will all see the benefit of this change and can look back on this and grin.

Elwyn, Witcheypoo, Alioth and 7 others like this.
  12. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Certainly not in everyone's mind. And when I say that, I would bet that the tens thousands of inactive accounts in this game is a proof of concept.

And yes... I did. My name is on the certificate, not my wife's name.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    StrangerDiamond and K1000 like this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im at work so cant go digging thru 2013-14’s forums but i showed up around R6 and remember them saying there would be other ways to get expert stations as well

And the pledge description mentions that stations with a special benefactor symbol on them that the new addon store ones do not have

Elwyn, Witcheypoo, Mishikal and 2 others like this.
  14. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

+5 what ? We are talking about relative values here. When you advertise a pledge whose cost is many hundreds of dollars with "expert level" in the description the intention is either :
    - to give the best thing or so to the guy who paid for the pledge (and of course, I never said that such promise was a good idea in the first place but that's still a promise),
    - to let the guy think that he will get athe best thing or so when, in reality, it will only be an average thing (and then it's an empty promise).
    Pick your side, comrade.

Sonja and StrangerDiamond like this.
  15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I play the game every single day. When the game first went to persistence? I couldn't play it very long, there were far to many bugs, to many other issues and systems just not ready for me. About 5 months before going live? It was like a veil had been lifted and each month since, they've added new things, fixed or corrected systems.

The game is VERY playable in comparison to way back at the start of persistence.

Then... why are you complaining about systems and methods that will bring in more money and accounts? As an actual investor myself, I do not see issues with these little things, especially with how the game has been working in practice with so many CF Vendors just available to everyone in a POT and how you can't walk 20 feet in most NPC or POTs without running into piles of Backer +5 Crafting Stations freely available to use.

Those are practically free right now, I would never buy a benefactor crafting station from anyone, because I see hundreds of them all over the place and I'll go use them, whenever I want. There's no need for them in my housing, if I wanted to add one for Role-Playing effect... they'd never be used, until the day we can craft far superior pieces, that is...

Mishikal likes this.
  16. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I only respond to things that I see... I'm not picking sides. If I were to pick a side.. I would pick the side of a gamer just looking to have fun.. I know that sometimes things are understood differently by different people, but I don't believe that there was any intentional misleading in the way it was listed.

Crowell and Nelzie like this.
  17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

If this is indeed the official policy of the game, then I would like the implementation of this to be more structured and consistent.

Currently, not all items in the add-on store are available for in-game COTO purchase.

Nobody knows when exactly the missing items will appear on the COTO merchants.

There should be an official policy on this, like “3 months after it is introduced into the add-on store it will be available on the COTO merchants”.

Some items have been missing for months now (while other items introduced at the same time have been available on the COTO merchants already).

This process should be transparent. And not made on the nebulous whims of Portalarium.

18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

It's been pointed out that the Founder and Benefactor stations HAVE identifiers that show they are different than the new Expert Crafting Stations AND all of the original pledge information NEVER stated that there would never be a new Expert or even better Crafting Stations made available to players.

Elwyn and Mishikal like this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am somewhat sure it's more like "when we have time, whatever we grab first".
    But anyway i agree with you. A transparent policy would be nice.

Woodchuck and 3devious like this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Kidz, be nice to each other. We wouldn't want to get this productive topic locked, would we?
    It's not like you are all running in circles over and over again.

Nelzie and K1000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.