Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Taming Skills - Pets still kinda suck

Discussion in 'Release 66 Feedback' started by Shift, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shift

Shift Avatar

I would like to say thank you for all the work you put into the taming tree. I feel like it was a nudge in the right direction. But Pets still feel very underwhelming.

1) Pet Speed , pets are still waaaay to slow. In a Real Case situation they still lag behind they still move from target to target at a snail's pace. Have you seen an obsidian destroyer trying to keep up with an undead archer? Its pathetic They are constantly getting stuck behind trees and stuck on rocks and branches they stop to damage and when they go to swing the archer will move out of its range, the bear will then now stop again see when the archer went calculate where it is, again run slowly after it it stops to attack archer moves again, its gets stuck in a loop. . The Reaction time when I tell it to attack a target and the time that it actually engages the target is still takes way too long. The Speed at which it actually runs at a target when engaging combat is still way too slow. overall Pets still feel way too sluggish and unresponsive. My recommendation is that the devs play any modern MMO with a pet class to get some inspiration on how pet movement should feel. Also Please test your pets in a real world scenario without using gm hacks or in a gm hub hitting a training dummy that doesn't move.

2) Pet Taunt - Pets still can't hold aggro worth a damn. Especially the Obsidian Destroyer It doesn't matter how long I let it attack a target before I attack it.. It still can't hold aggro. take on more than one mob It still can't gather mobs and tank them. Once again I highly doubt a dev tested this in a real world situation. Please test pets in a real world situation with a real build , real gear without using gm cheats. My Recommendation is to give the Bear/tanky pets an AOE taunt that will generate so much threat that a player won't be able to pull aggro. Also Increase the attack pets attack speed as it is right now it feels very slow, again it feels very sluggish and not responsive. Let me heal the pet and play a support.

3)Focus Drain - I know Chris said that he was going to adjust this but. I think it should be removed from the game entirely I don't understand the point of it. Right now with just some GM skill my focus pool went from 700 to 314 when I have a pet summoned. I can't even really do many skills without being completely depleted of focus.

4) Pet heal - Now that pets have a larger health pool it would be nice if heal amount would scale up. at GM pet healing my heals are barely hitting for over 100 .. when my pet is taking damage I can barely keep up considering that my focus pool is gimped as well. My recommendation would be to have the heal amount be percentage based depending on the amount of health the pet has. Instead of a flat number.

5) Pet DPS - without specialization and everything at GM my obsidian destroyer is hitting for 30-50 damage and when it crits it hits for about 75. In my opinion this is still way too slow. You can't play support to your pet with this amount of dps g0. If you go to any zone that has mobs with over 1000 health and your pet is running around doing single target dps for 30-50 damage every 2 seconds and that's if mobs aren't running around like crazy archers. Even with Pet Specialization the dps goes up to about 60-70 and 100 if you are lucky with a crit. it still isn't enough to be able to kill most things. Recommendation Please try to balance skills a little better when you aren't specialized. Sacrificing 1 of our 2 specializations should feel special and extraordinary. It should greatly impact each skill in that tree right now its just a marginal buff at best. This applies to all skill trees in the game not just the taming skill tree.

Once again the new changes are a step in the right direction. But its still not enough. Still can't be a true tamer, Still can't play a support to my pet. Giving up a specialization for taming still isn't worth it. since you lose out in so much damage and survivability. Devs Please for the love of god test your game in a real world situation. Please Play your game. You spend too much time balancing and testing things by looking at spreadsheets and metrics. Please Get out of the Dev Hub. Get a real set of gear. Get a real deck. go out and go to an adventuring zone and play with your pet out see how fun it is. Metrics and Spreadsheets Can't Measure fun.

Sorry for all the typos and bad grammar I wrote this on mobile and English is my second language.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I assume you leveled the passives quickly to see if they make any difference? Plus this is only an adjustment they still have not implemented the full revamp of making pet skills active skills controlled by the player.

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

As Chris has stated multiple times now, pet speed is working. If you run a t super speed you canneasily outrun the pet. If you run to fast and outrun the teleport distance, guess what, it will teleport to you. There are two jiras for dev to look into why the pet lags when it starts to r7n and why it lags when it is told to attack.

The only pet that ismsuposed to hold agromworth a damn is the bear. There can be multiple reasons for why it doesn’t, just like with players.

Focus drain is the penalty for having Uber pets. It is there to maintain balance between you and your pet not being overpowered when compared to the things other spec’ed players can do. If your pet can dips, for example, like any other player without any help from you then taming becomes overpowered and everyone become a tamer. If you are using an Uber pet, you need to be gimped to balance things out.

If your pet is intended to enthe main damage dealer or taunted or whatever, you should have to work hard at keeping him healed. Incan’t Heal myself for over 100 most of the time, so why should you get that ability with your pet.

You aren’t supposed to be Uber with a pet unless you specialize and are gm’ed in the other things. At that point you’ve made the decision that the pet is your main weapon and you are just there to tag along. If you want to be Uber instead, your pet can’t be. It’s one or the other but not both.

Gia2 likes this.
  4. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Preach it brother, all this times 1000%!

5. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I just wish the keybinds for pets worked better. Having the pet attack target and it just sits there is a bit annoying

6. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Taming artifacts help, we don't have them yet but I tested them on QA and they help.

7. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

A shepherds crook or something held in the weapon hand that boosted pet stats and made them powerful would be nice.

The trade off then is we would not have a weapon/wand/bow in that hand or hands, so the pet could be as powerful as a polearm! ;)

Wilfred, K1000, Shift and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.