New to the game but starting to get a feel for it

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by sarbonn, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

Hey all. I recently bought the game and started exploring a bit of it. I will admit that it can be a bit confusing at times, especially maneuvering around the bigger map (kind of got lost and couldn't figure out how to get back to where I started).

I was a HUGE fan of all of the Ultimas, including the very first ones (was one of the early game designers before the industry pretty much exploded (ironically, during my stint in the service...came out of the service and the industry changed overnight).

I have been really looking forward to this game, and unfortunately, I didn't even realize there was a kickstarter going on for it until it was practically over. But I will never forget the enjoyment I had when Ultima Online was released. It was practically a religion to me at that time (created a couple of player towns, served as a counselor, had a comic strip called The Adventures of Little Sarbonn (the noob that hung out with pkers to ask them really stupid questions just to see if they'd murder me), and notoriously became one of the first grandmaster shepherds when the skill consisted of walking around and double clicking on sheep for hours and hours to make them change direction while the skill rarely ever increased).

So, this is my introduction and hope to start seeing you all in the game. I'm definitely in noob mode right now because there isn't a moment I'm playing where I don't find myself thinking, "why is this happening", which believe it or not, is actually a really cool thing in a new game.

2. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome @sarbonn !!

Feel free to add me to your friend list and whisper if you need help or advices in game. Happy hunting and safe travels!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Sara Dreygon, Lace and majoria70 like this.
  3. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @sarbonn, add me as well. In game name is same as forums. As for getting lost on the overworld map I fully understand that. I keep the map open in a web browser in case I need to orient myself or check out a town. The address is https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/. Whisper in game or PM me here if I can help and welcome to New Britanna, the Hidden Vale, and .......

Sara Dreygon and Lace like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @sarbonn and welcome and please add me as well. I am happy to help and answer any questions. I do understand about getting lost I frequently am lost ;), but luckily some special friend will rescue me quite often ;). You will be so amazed when you find out all you can do in this game. It is pretty massive. Development will continue as it releases officially March 27 every month we will get more added to the game. And for example things you can do You can be a merchant selling your wares, play and sync music, hold pvp events, create a theater and have plays or events such as fashion shows, game shows, doing quests, having concerts or you can jump into building your character and learning about the deep deck building system and all of the above to name a few things. Also future fun things coming in game as boating, treasure hunting mounts, and so much more.

Edited-. Oops wears verses wares lol. I corrected this typo to make it selling wares also called goods, junk, merchandise etc .;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Luca Xante, Sara Dreygon and Lace like this.
  5. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

6. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome adventurer! feel free to add me also if need any help:)

7. Lace

Lace Avatar

This right here is so helpful, many of us been playing for years without this feature (and we survived though painfully at times at least for me a somewhat directionally challenged person lol)

If you know what you are looking for in information sotawiki.net can be a huge help, there are a few tricks to finding what you want but is constantly updated by a sleepless group of managers and only gets better when players contribute.

There are folks who put on a title above their character name called 'Hospitaller', always feel free to ask them questions, and I myself as part of that group try to make informational videos about the game which you can find by going to Youtube and just doing a keyword search of Lace and Sota. I don't do step by step things like others, and jump around topics, but you can always send me a forum request @Lace or friend me in game via Lace Delamorte and ask real time questions if I am about.

In addition there is a community created effort established via SotaHelp.org where you can find all kinds of new player aid.

I know this is alot to absorb and some of us been playing for years already, but I think you will find that 75% or more of the community will bend over backwards to show you the things we like about this game and why we have stuck around and keep playing for so long.

Take Care, Happy Hunting and Be Safe.

majoria70 and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

Thanks all. I appreciate the responses. I'll be puttering around today in game for most of the day. Currently in the Blood River beginning area because I don't really know how strong I have to be to venture into higher level areas.

And one question: I figure there's a cap on skills, like UO had, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to display how many points I've already used. I know K brings up the skills, but there's no total on that list, so is the only way for me to figure it out to pull out a calculator every time I glance at my skills, or am I missing something extremely obvious?

9. Lace

Lace Avatar

Hmm this is a more complex question in my understanding than points.

• You hunt, you kill you get xxxx xp points.
    • Each time you use a skill which you have turned ON (k for skills green arrow up), part of your xp is sucked into trraining that skill. The more skills you have with green arrow up, the more that total xp is divided and distributed, meaning to focus on something, turn others off or you will see many things go up slowly.
    • The more xp in your pool, the more xp goes into the skill(s) you have set to training its a percentage, 10% of not much is not much. So turning things off, building a pool or focusing depending on your situation may let you see the gains more rapidly.
    • Regardless of what you train, don't train, all xp that goes into your pool or into skill training becomes part of your adventure level which affects your hits and misses aka Tiers or Skull zone levels. Hit C for character and mouse over your name to see your adventure level.

This is a super simplistic view of it but works

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

a hard cap per skill of 200, which would take YEARS to get, as each level gets more expensive. no total cap, just the expense.

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Look out for hospitaliers in game they have a kinda pink title, but to be fair, if you /z <question here> chances are someone will try help, if you ever see "Lana" on you are welcome to ping her for questions

12. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Greetings and Welcome @sarbonn,

it's absolute normal to feel lost sometimes in this huge world.

You will learn fast - use the ingame map.
    And if you walk on the right path, it feels as sure as to be in Oz ;)

13. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

The skill thing is making a bit more sense now. Watched a "starting out" video that kind of explained it, although it was a bit dated, but it still made sense. I'm starting to get a hang of the lunar rifts right now (like the old moongates, if I understand them correctly).

I'm Dervis McSarbonn in the game, so if you see me, be sure to wave.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  14. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

I watched one of your videos recently (the one on mining in Etcetera or something like that). I still haven't figured out mining yet because I've never seen a mining node to even try to interact with it. Nor have I seen a forestry node, so it's kind of confusing if you don't run across one to understand what you're looking for.

15. Lace

Lace Avatar

okay hun will see about doing a vid for that

Sentinel2 likes this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Welcome Dervis McSarbonn :)

sarbonn likes this.
  17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family!

18. Sentinel2