Newbie looking for advice...When to actually start playing this?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Hexos, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexos

Hexos Avatar

Hi all,

Backer here. Long time UO player, but starterd my love affair with Lord British's work back on Ultima 6.
    I have been very casually following development since the KS campaign, but not paying too much attention to it because I don't want to build up too much hype until it gets closer to release. Been burned out on beta testing MMO's in the past and don't want to tarnish this experience.

So I am wondering...when should I actually start playing? It's my understanding that there will be no more wipes, but i don't want to start so early that I get miss out on early game polished content. I'm not in a rush to take this journey, and when i do I want it to be "mostly" complete.

Any advice?

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they do plan to have an official launch sometime after the full quest line is in and tested. if you don't want to beta test, that'd be the time to jump.

Acred, mass and Hexos like this.
  3. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Let me put on my honesty hat here for a minute,

It's a tough call. We are in persistence right now, which kinda makes you want to play in order to begin leveling up and catching up to all the other crafters/adventurers, but there is indeed a lot of polish left to do in the game. The story-line is not complete, but getting more so with each release. Still a lot of issues that they have to work out to make the existing systems fun enough for people to actually play it. Nothing very special loot wise, unless you are already adventurer level 100 or above. Mostly right now, it's just grinding for the sake of leveling, so you might as well wait until there is more fun actually in the process of playing.

Not trying to be overly negative, if you aren't worried about playing catch-up level wise, definitely wait until closer to official launch.

4. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Well, to answer based on my experience only, which is not objective and might not apply to you, when do you want to start having fun?

Acred and Grumpy like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

After this, like everything else, around a year after release, when it's really polished and complete ;)

@Hexos
    Referring to Grumpy's quote: Do you have a job, a family a real life?
    Don't try to compete, don't try to catch up, honestly it was impossible 4 weeks after persistence!
    And now it would take me 5 clones of myself 24/7 playing to get 150 Grandmasterys.

You can enjoy the game without that, what you maybe cannot (atm, if they don't nerf or limit something) is beeing competable in PvP .
    That's what i think, I know some will contradict.
    The Truth lies in between!

Grumpy is right on all the other points he mentioned!!!

Wait!!!

Acred and Grumpy like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Hexos. It really depends on a few things. Do you like having a say before the game is developed a certain way? Do you want to try out new changes and provide feedback for getting them implemented better? Do you have a lot of patience for an unfinished game? IMO if someone is not playing, they don't provide all the feedback that is needed, but great ideas are appreciated of course.

So there are quite a few things to do and some questing to keep us busy. We can grown many things, fish, explore dungeons and do some quests, kill bosses kills(group content), and see new content each release, Myself I keep really busy in the game. For me I'm still waiting for content that connects the world more. Content which will be quest lines, lots of side quests besides story quests, achievements, tasks that take you all over the world exploring, perhaps looking for that certain type of fish, or a missing person etc. ;). So my opinion is only you can make that call. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol surprise, surprise j/k. Well it depends on temperament. Is this person a grumpy person or a patient person? Just thought I'd add that. I do hear what you are saying but I meet all types of players in this game. Some are having a blast and others are not. It depends on how they view it all, not how we view it, just sayin ;) and not criticizing what you say just adding. :)

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You are totally right here!

I had to evolve my attitude to the game when I was complaining about several things - especially the catch-up thing and about PvP and such...
    But then i found it more or again amazing like in the first hours knowing nothing. And i really knew nothing as i only knew the Name and Richard Gariott was the Name. I just repelled it all when Infos reached me. Heard of an instanced world and was eye rolling.

I am here since Mid of August 2016 , short after persistence and i have a lot of fun playing it and be part of the process, hope sometimes to make a viable statement ... etc...

Still learning the game and just the Harpsichord wake up my interest in more crafting, beside a bench and a flute or some scrolls :D
    I'm just heading out to try to solve my "quest" and going to engrave a tool.
    Wohoo I can do it, saved some material, have the money to buy the right recipes, know where to research ingame and all that.
    Of course a little help from the community (forum) was necessary , but yeah that's it.

Soon i will play for a small audience maybe, already crafted the stage, decorate it a little bit.... do my tasks...

@Hexos the game isn't polished , it's not ready , alot of not , but also a lot of what? Amazing !
    Yes, but it all depends on oneself a lot, of course it does.

Fanboy, no, just played UO on a RP Share for some month back in 2000.
    Wasn't a backer or whatever, just followed the recommendation of a friend when he said it's not for everyone, but for you (me).
    And he was right. Also, i already mentioned I was going through some suffering (what @Grumpy said it's necessary :eek::rolleyes:;))
    Yes in some way he's right, sure.

You clearly stated you aren't ready to beta test and want a polished game, then my advice is wait, although I am still amazed by this game, as you maybe get from that post :p

Have Fun - Stun ;)

Acred, majoria70 and Stahlknecht like this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I would start just adventuring and test things out. Skip the quests until they are polished to keep that part "new".

Acred likes this.
  10. Nemien

Nemien Avatar

I have been playing for about 2 weeks or so and have had some fun. Taken it a little slower the past week. But I would recommend this game as it is now, especially if you liked UO. Its very much like UO but for modern times. The game is quiet a bit of grinding up skills at least so far but I kinda like that, I find it refreshing to not be guided from one quest chain to the next. I was able to find a couple zones that are appropriate for my level, I go in fight and work up skills a bit, loot till I am overburdened, then head to town and sell and repeat. There is also crafting in place to do but it seems to require a fair amount of gold and resources so I have only dabbled in it so far. I would be curious to know if there are any 2 or 3 skull (difficulty level) dungeons as so far I have only found outside zones for adventuring in my level range and feel there is a lack of variety (but clearly more is in the works). So in short I would recommend this game if you were a fan of UO but if you start now go in with the understanding that there is some work to be done especially in variety of zones and also most people I come across are much higher level, I have made a few friends but there aren't many people in the zones I go to to play with. Hope this post helps your decision.

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

ive been playing something like 8 months or so, my suggestion is, try it.. if you dont feel happy enough cos its not ready yet, you can always delete your toon, however, you will have learnt some about the game.. The more you learn, while things will change, you will have some idea of where it was..

The answer is really subjective and Im sure I speak for many of us, but we'd be happy to see you in game if you care to join us

Acred likes this.
  12. Hexos

Hexos Avatar

Thank you all for the great input. I think i will wait til release after reading these responses. I trust that the game will be great(without my help hehe).
    I may start learning and dabbling as the official release gets closer. Glad to hear that folks are having fun with this!

Acred and Stundorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.