Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Night Vision Feedback & Drawback Ideas...

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Elgarion, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Love the night vision... I feel I can see much better and still detect much of the beauty and detail of the game, but I truly feel night vision is overpowered and will render other light sources irrelevant.

Suggestion: Ideas for Drawbacks to Nightvision, a.k.a why some other light sources might be better to use...

I got the idea from precautions to take when using some varieties of night vision goggles since you could damage them with excessive light or daylight.
    • If cast during daytime, player's screen becomes distorted, way too bright etc.
    • If Night Vision currently in use, and user attacked by Sun Magic, user has X% chance to be blinded for 3 seconds (as you level it, diminishes to 1 sec).
    • If Night Vision currently in use, user receives X penalty to sun attunement, indicating they'll take more damage (to their eyes) when attacked by these bright magical attacks
    • If user casts sun magic, they are susceptible to eye damage (player takes actual damage when using sun magic whilst under the effects of night vision
    • Perhaps bright light usage could leave the player stuck with temp blind spots on the screen. "He's got night vision on! Blast him with Sunbeam! (PvP)
    • Perhaps certain farming nodes are near invisible with night vision.
    Okie doke -- just some ideas. I worry that the mainstay is everyone runs around with night vision on, that its a mandatory skill to play the game effectively at night, and will have no drawbacks steering folks towards the other ways of illuminating their surroundings.

Numa, istyrl and Nikko like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you actually use Night Vision then you'll see the drawbacks that are already there. It doesn't need more.

Elgarion and discipleofweb like this.
  3. Elgarion

I use night vision constantly during nighttime hunting. Currently, it is a far superior method to see at night in-game. This skill basically makes the other light sources and abilities pointless... might as well remove them to increase frame rate if everyone is gonna run around with this tier 1 vision ability removing all night time difficulties presented.

The only drawback present is the color change. Dang... ouch. Not sure if I can live with so much drawback. I'd better use my torch or light spell or lantern to save myself from all this lack of color! :p ;) And heck, now the new version of it has better color, so the one "drawback" has been lessened significantly.

Another benefit to Night Vision... Farming nodes are actually easier in night vision since nodes stand out like a sore thumb with the skill activated. That is good reason to use night vision during the day, to help spot nodes. Kinda makes survey skills pointless too with Night Vision (and pointless survey skills are another topic altogether).

In-game, we're not using goggles, it is our eyes which are being imbued with the magical ability to see at night. Just as night vision goggles can be damaged, as such so should our eyes be susceptible to damage by making them more vulnerable to light.

Just a thought. No doubt, there'll be lovers and haters as there always are with every idea.

In my opinion, a hand-held light source should be the most effective as you are sacrificing an entire inventory slot to provide light. I'm definitely a player who loves the concept of risk vs reward. You want Night Vision? Take on some significant drawbacks since your eyes are now VERY sensitive to light.

4. Elgarion

Hmmmm... another pvp drawback, is that perhaps your eyes glow slightly, being a slight indication to someone sneaking up on you in the dark. Perhaps even visible when someone is stealthed ever so slightly.

Nikko likes this.
  5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Love the ideas, Elgarion!

Elgarion likes this.
  6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Freaky "Predator" eyes! That would ROCK.

Elgarion likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Really? Have you tried to find ore in a mine using Night Vision? How about trying to find nightshade?

8. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Well maybe we should have kept both vision, from level 1 to gm. I definitely love the new version, it looks extremely nice. But maybe we should have to learn it to high level to get this level of quality? level one is bright greenish basic vision, and gm the actual version from release 48?

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That was kinda my idea- at low levels, it looks like it used to, and then as you get closer to GM more color gets added in. It would never be fully in color, more like somewhere between 30-40% added in to the green. (And since it's a moon tree skill, maybe go up to 50-60% if the moon is up.) Otherwise, why ever level the skill? Longer duration? It's already long enough at level 1 that there's not much reason to put xp into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.