Night Vision is too effective

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Vodalian, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Night Vision is one of the ways to see in darkness, and I like that there are different methods. But I think this skill is just too good. You see as clearly in darkness as i broad daylight! The Light skill is much more limited. The only situation I can think of where Light is better is for mining, since Night Vision makes it harder to spot the nodes, but other than that no competetion.

I see several problems with the way this works:
    1. Nightvision renders other lightsources fairly pointless.
    2. It takes some aesthetic value out of the game - a grey/green world is less intimidating and immersive than having just a small lightsource against the compact darkness of the night or in a dungeon.
    3. It's feels unreasonable/unrealistic that you can see such long distances with Night Vision.

However, i see the problem with trying to make Night Vision less effective without just making it annoying in some way. One change could possibly be to lessen the range of perfect vision with Night Vision on. I would like some kind of limitation, but maybe this would upset too many other players? Just wanted to throw this out there.

Edit: I just wanted to point out that everyone of course has the choice to use Night Vision or something else. But me and I'm sure many others have a hard time to make choices that make me less effective compared to other characters. So the fact that this choice is available makes it kind of lose/lose for me: being gimped compared to others or having a less pleasing personal gaming experience.

2. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Disagree - Nightsight needs to be expanded with other filter colors, I want the mono-chrome orange style so I can relive the monitor I played Ultima 6 on oh so many years ago.

Also, it's pretty hard to see resources in some scenes in Nightsight mode.

Maybe a scenario where nightsight during the day starts to blur things and you have shift out of it or the light coming in blinds you.

V/R Brickbat

Net, Bob Kelso2, Bow Vale and 6 others like this.
  3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Totally agree. It is almost like hunter vision in FarCry Primal. Super effective, yet you miss a lot of the beauty of the world. Night vision during the day works better than full daylight in forests. Silly, powerful.

Ok, people will complain because we got used to a nice thing, but it should be adjusted for balance (not a nerf).

Olthadir and Vodalian like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Totally agree with the OP.

I turn on Night Vision for 90% of my playing time now. It's way too effective and there needs to be a significant change.

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The only thing I want for Night Vision is bright flare when encountering another light source. If you are using a nightsight, fire or light spells should be temporarily blinding.

Brent S, Net, Jimmy Cliff and 7 others like this.
  6. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

The only reason I do not use Night-Sight is that I decided my character was not going to pursue that magic tree (yet). Definitely noticed the step down in effectiveness using Light in persistence as opposed to Night Sight in pre-persist. A torch though, now there is an unloved light source. I'm thinking torches need some love. Maybe a solid focus bonus? I dunno. But nightsight > light > torch it seems.

7. psteg

psteg Avatar

Leave it alone. The last time they did anything concerning night time vision, they made it too dark. You guys run out of things to complain about?

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I just want to drop in and note that if first-tier magic required reagents and different schools used different reagents, this would also be influencing the discussion about trade-offs of night vision vs. light vs. a torch.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i like the new effect with some orange in - if you want to have the range somewhat reduced i can agree, but if it is the same like a torch or the light spell its totally worthless like so many skills, especially in the Moontree. The only worthwile skill in that tree is celestial blessing i guess and to some degree nightvision.

btw stll waiting for shadowwalk be a buff and no timed skill. Somewhere you said it will be a buff, if you do any action you become visible, but invisible gain if you stop doing things until the buff (with a long duration like the stat buffs maybe) runs out.

btw if we are blinded by lightsources while using nightvision it will be completely useless, because you wont see anything then in the most dungeons.
    Nightvision is something to be able to see at night, nevertheless if there a some slight lightsources. Ok if there is someone who blinds you while using nightvision and have a short flashbang effect, but to nerf it this way is a bad way.

I would rather like that the range is decreased and increases with higher level.

10. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

"Night Vision too effective" should read "Light spell should be more effective". Less negatives. More positives! :)

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Agree that range could be lowered... but that is literally the only feedback I gave that was ever acted upon :p It was way too dark for a long time I would actually wait until the night was over to start playing again.

having some kind of infrared effect for living things that emit heat would be amazing if some technology allows :)

then reducing the range would have less of a sting, cause you could still see beasts around even if they're blurred.

Vodalian and Numa like this.
  12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

In FC Primal the hunter vision does this by making the model wireframes a bright shaded yellow. The draped textures are gone, but the wireframes are plenty detailed enough to know what the "thing" is. A nice highlighting feature. Make that shading a red/pink gradient and you have infrared vision. If you are interested I'll take a screen shot of the differences tonight.

Vodalian and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That would be amazing, the effect would be diminished very much when stealthing, or hiding behind bushes... or behind a fire so that would add a nice tactical spin :)

Vodalian likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Maybe not all lights should affect nightvision, but the light spell should be blinding (give an edge to the light spell), and some fire lightning spells also, so people could use those tactics against the advantage nightsight gives, sometimes forcing us to shut it off.

Vodalian and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

16. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

If you believe it breaks your immersion or you dont like it for reasons... you don't have to use it! If any change should happen I feel you should get more colours added to your vision the higher level the skill it.

CatherineRose, FrostII and Stundorn like this.
  17. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I agree, when i start building my character im going to GM night vision right away since its so OP. Better get it before it gets nerfed!

18. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I really cannot agree with the OP... I can't really call Night Vision "too effective". I primarily use it when hunting in dark forests and caves, but can't use it when mining because I walk past resource nodes. So it has it's uses as it is.

However, I do like some of the posted ideas on how to improve it a bit... like, if you have Night Vision active when the sun comes up, your view would brighten to the point that you'd have to turn off NV in order to see. Also, things like torches and campfires and the like should be blinding with Night Vision on.

But don't go nerfing Night Vison... I use it too often! :D

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well it also seems to me that like all Moon Magic, Night Vision should have its strength during moonlight hours, say maybe just the its degree of effectiveness is limited when the sun is out. Of course, not sure how that works underground, or how Moon Magic works underground generally.

Rennik, Numa and Vodalian like this.
  20. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I got a pair of blinders just for you boss :)

But really.. let us work this thing out...I mean.. it's MAGIC. Magical sight should e at least as good as one could get from nightvision goggles. I too have been using NV, cuz night is just so dark you can't see squat and I run my dumbass right into places I regret. As has been mentioned.. the "light" spell just kinda blows outside of using it for mining. Maybe they could work on that so the higher lvl your skill the wider radius of the light (in other words.. put that sparkling thing up higher instead of being right there in my face blinding me while still being a poor light source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.