Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Nightshade Pass Troll

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Jordizzle, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Fighting him is a punishment. You spend all this time stacking glyphs and damaging him and then he runs away from you just far enough so that he resets himself and then runs turbo speed back to his spawn point. The best part is that he regenerates a lot of health each time he does that. Seriously it's a waste of time to fight him because of this, and a waste of focus, and food, and armor and weapon durability, and reagents. He's a big bad troll, why is he running away from lil ole me any way? I know regenerating health is a good thing but c'mon it's unfair as hell.

Alexander likes this.
  2. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hi @Jordizzle,

Have you tried this with a group, or only solo? I'm not stout enough to try it yet--just wondering.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I play solo most of the time, but I've seen him do this behavior against groups also. It's like he's trying to run away far enough so he can throw his rock..but he goes too far then runs back to his spawn point at 500mph and gets a huge health Regen. It's crazy.

4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

If you fight him on the bridge, he will not run away. You need to try to cc him and give full dps.

5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

maybe so, but they need to fix it - have you logged a bug Jord?

6. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I have actually seen this on many of the higher level mobs like the Phoenix does some crazy racing back and forth stuff as well. Gives some great chances to archers to crit like crazy on them though. My summoned phoenix does the same action which is kinda crazy. It's like he decides he is not a tank pet so he flies away to cast a fire ball that can be casted where he started at with a lot less down time between casts.

Alexander likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This happens to me often and I sometimes wonder if this was intended as part of on AI improvement. (If it is a bug, hopefully this gets looked at). Either way, the best trick here is to hit him at his spawn point, and when he decides to run away, just stay where you are and most of the time he will run right back to where you are at the spawn point. The odd time, however, he will throw boulders instead. By waiting for him at the spawn point, his health regeneration is minimal. At least, this has been my personal experience with him.

Jordizzle likes this.
  8. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

you have to reach a level that guarantee to kill he on 60 secs maximum (stay near the respawn point to be sure he not run too far.. for this troll the respawn point are the ruins)

if you can't kill it on 60 secs come with another friend to speed up the killing-process

P.S. i don't know if it's fixed but someone on forum opened a bug for the XP points not given if the troll kill you falling in death... i hope that on a party of 2.. the XP can be gained... (a ghost can acquire POOL?)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Alexander likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You did see how a Jobe Soloed Torc - same mechanics so all you really need to do is stop running him to the end of his leash.

That mechanic was put in to player could just run backwards constantly out of range and just run back in and attack him again without them regenerating when I ran back to spawn point.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ns pass troll i find is harder then ravensmoor troll when it comes to dodging or dealing with.
    Short leash. Quicker move. And damn is he rock happy. Also find he turns on a dime.
    Basically hes not archer friendly. Need to tank em before or on bridge. Or jump the river till he breaks and falls throigh bridge.
    Most mob mechanics, especially bosses neeed work.

Note : pretty sure jobes technique doesnt work on this troll as he moves faster. I ve tried kiting and find he runs to fast n throws rocks to easy. ( id quote but im on ignore for who claimed that anyways )

Alexander likes this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I usually take the NS troll on at his spawn point. As a tank, I hit him with body slam to stun him, then repeatedly hit him with thrust and anything else that pops up on the deck. I jump when he is ready to slam down on the ground. Coup to Grace for the final kill.

12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

The same technique works, I've soloed him 3 times, but making sure the fight happens in a spot where there is not a straight line access to the bridge end is key. He will try to run, but if not a straight line then will turn and fight again.
    The speed of turning is irrelevant as long as you stay 'inside' the troll. Worst mechanic ever, but I did it to prove that some sort of collision needs to be implemented.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Core problem is that SotA combat system is a raging garbage fire. Sure, we can all use it and abuse it but enemies have telekinetic attacks, ranged attacks phase through matter, enemies snap back to their spawn like they have giant rubber bands glued to their backs and fighting high level melee enemies looks like a Benny Hill sketch. None of this would have passed muster in a single player game in 2006, never mind today. But the game is still in development, so I'm sure fixes are inbound any day now, despite these problems existing for over a year by now.

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  14. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

The troll will still run at random times to the end of his leash and rebound. Not sure what is triggering it but, doesn't seem like where you fight him is the issue. As even on his spawn point he screamed *squirrel* and ran over by the wolves until he hit his rubber and and came back.

He uses stomp way to often, which I think should take into consideration with how many people are fighting him. Solo, it is easier to jump the stomp than to avoid that quick slap. The foot to face and the big swing take way to long to start and are too easy to avoid.

Also be nice to see a middle ground troll with about 6-8k hitpoints. Instead of the next jump that takes you to 11-12k. The large ones are easy to avoid but I can't do enough DMG to kill him. I could refine my deck for DPM and see what I can do but just tried the big one for the first time last night Solo and didn't have a lot of time.

15. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

It is not where you fight him that keeps him from running, it is where you fight him that keeps him from getting to the leash point that matters.
    On the bridge itself works. In a little ditch by his spawn works.
    I think they added this run away and leash feature as a bandaid to the problem of stupid AI fighting behavior.

16. Acred

Acred Avatar

There's more than one way to skin a cat (Troll).

@Womby said:

A Caverns Cinematic Christmas Card

(poem by Acred - click the screen to freeze the scroll)

‘Twas the night before solstice, when all through the land
    Many creatures were stirring, including a band
    Of intrepid warriors, their mimics and pets.
    They were out on a hunt. Some were noobs. Some were vets.

Searching the Vale and daring the Passes
    They came to a place with strange plants and crevasses.
    They soon heard a roar, then what did they see?

A troll like a mountain, so fearsome was he.

They munched down their bark bread. They chugged down their beer.
    Grabbing armfuls of ammo, they gave out a cheer.
    As the first snowball hit, the troll froze in surprise
    But he soon returned fire and caused their demise.

One by one they went down, most still holding their mug.
    The troll looked at the fallen with a laugh and a shrug.
    “Find the Ankh, silly warriors, and come back in the light.”
    “Merry ventures to all, and to all a good fight.”

Womby and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.