No Binding everywhere!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Go at it.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, the problem is I have explained my position, every few months or so when this conversation comes up. And alternatives and compromises have been discussed variously on the forums.

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Rather than having multiple bind points just be available as a small cash sink I would much rather this be rolled into a new crafting skill under alchemy (since its light in skills compared to the rest).

Just spit balling here but how about making the whole rune thing completely viable?
    For example have a new skill for scroll making. At level 1-50 you can mark runes that teleport you to tier 1 zones, 51-70 you can now mark tier 2 zones etc
    This opens up a whole new possibility for selling these to people who want them. Become a professional rune maker and sell runes for all the popular zones. Hell if you want a cash sink in game have the runes need a component to make which costs 100g from an npc which would be much more of a cash sink than purchasing an extra slot.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Same conversation and I know it's frustrating to repeat yourself over and over but.. different people and short memories are also a part of discussions. There's always the shameless plug. ;)

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am again very happy about the change. I think the cost to teleport to scenes could be in reagents and gold but I'm still a bit sorry we cannot mark these spots with a rune type system to make it more interesting. If you did not have a blank rune or the right amount of reagents you might have to hold off on marking. It gives the idea of needing to be prepared more viability. Little details will matter but at this point I don't expect those with the small team.

During the livestream they did talk about clicking on skull poles to bind to those spots which will be fine but still it would have been nice for it to be something like in UO if you had blank runes in your pack you could mark the place and what if you had to have the skill to be able to mark but of course I don't expect details.

I just think it is a good thing and something that has kept people from playing this game is how hard it is to find anything or find it again after leaving the scene. This had to happen. It is one thing to let go of and just move on. As always we can try to ask for details and animations but in the end it will be what it will be unless the devs have a moment to fine tune details later.

Witcheypoo, Scanphor and FrostII like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

The frustration is when its the same people who don't understand you :D I know some people think my comments here are distracting from the topic, but all I really want is to make sure that the discussion here counts.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Thanks for that Bowen and I agree with your sentiments. The siege bypass is a good example, and I think the reason why we got a "bypass" button is that it was probably the easiest solution to implement. I'm not sure its the "best" solution either, and agree that there are/were other equally viable alternatives. I felt much the same about the random encounters. My "personal" objection was sitting through lengthy load screens when I had zero intent to actually participate in the content I was loading, since I could simply walk back out of encounters or run through a siege. There was zero risk to my character, it was just an annoying time-waster when I was trying to get someplace. I always approached this with an either/or proposition: Make it MEANINGFUL or make it SKIPPABLE. Making it skippable being, I think, the far easier implementation. We've seen more meaning added to the random encounters, such as unicorns and such or rare spawn monsters, but the reality is that this hasn't helped either. If I'm on my way someplace and get an encounter with unicorns - I'm not going to sit there and try to kill them myself. I'm simply going to walk out, just like I do when its Tier 1 bandits who aren't worth the time it takes to kill. I'd personally love to see more meaningful content added to Novia. Pop-up quests like, help the crashed caravan by harvesting wood to fix their whatever-wagon-part that rewards enough gold to be more lucrative for your time than wherever you were going. Or a rare resource spawn, like say, a T5 cottonfield. I will absolutely stop what I'm doing and deal with it. If there were nice things on Novia, that the player would miss out on, by using these "bind points" to fast travel, for example, I don't think we'd even be having this discussion. It would be a choice to save time at the expense of missing out on something else. Not just convenience for its own sake.

I'm also with you on the "convenience for the sake of convenience" but I also feel that "inconvenience for the sake of inconvenience" is equally damaging. I'm not against a certain amount of needed effort, even tedious effort, if it is going toward some purpose. I'm strongly opposed to making the game "easier" in terms of what players must do to achieve goals. Loadscreens however, achieve nothing. I don't get an achievement for sitting through 1000 of them, they don't improve my experience in any way, and I firmly agree with the dev decision to reduce the number of scene transitions a player sits through in an average play session. I see no downside to this.

8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

While I don't disagree, it doesn't really matter.

We now have the world bank, so moving stuff is easy. We've thrown open the gates of the control-points, so it's not like there is anything slowing down movement there. Even if the city you're going to is under siege, the siegers will kindly step out of the way and let you pass. They might as well say "Oh, sorry for the inconvenience!" We all aready have huge roving teleport lists... oh I'm sorry, I mean "friends lists." With all impediments to travel already removed in such a tiny world, mounts and boats already lacked meaning; they are purely cosmetic at this point.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Chatele likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Now that is probably the best argument I have heard so far in favor of, and also touches on something I was mentioning earlier (like page 2 or 3) about Portalarium simply not having the resources to implement a 'better' solution in many cases. Which I suppose is the price we pay for playing SotA over a high budget title. It frustrates me to no end to rely on the quick fix when there are other options that I at least am willing to wait for. Though I think I've established enough times that I'm usually in the minority. :)

kaeshiva likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd love to explore something like this further - if the 'crafter' of the runes/scrolls/whatevers had to physically go to the location in question to imbue them with its location, or if say, harvestble nodes in that scene had a chance to drop some sort of component unique to that scene (like, say, Elysium Mines rune essence or some such), then I see potential viability in an alchemist cranking these out. "Filling up your book" would be akin to filling up your recipe books to learn all the different binds, and you could take on the task of doing it yourself or buy/sell/trade them. I even envision people selling them as packs "all the mines" "all the T5s" "complete sets" and so forth. And who doesn't want more crafting cash sinks? I know we all do ;)

Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Very good point. This does indeed fix a problem with teleportation in Offline mode, as the Teleport scroll was useless and Recall only allowed for one fixed location. With this change, now Recall is much more useful.

This has been discussed before and something I'd like to see too but they would need many more Rifts, and different kinds of Rifts, to really make this useful. Limiting fast travel to only 8 NPC towns and requiring additional game mechanic / skill doesn't achieve the QoL changes they are trying to implement. Recall exists, is heavily used, and can be extended to support any number of fixed bind points. But yeah, I would like to see the Rift travel system extended too.

While having UO style Runebooks or some similar new system would be great, it would be a brand new system they'd have to build out. Perhaps they will do that some day. But given the current reduced team size, leveraging and extending the current Recall system of bind points is presumably smaller in scope and cheaper to implement in pursuit of their short-term QoL priorities.

Witcheypoo, Lady Kathleen and FrostII like this.
  12. Micmatty

Micmatty Avatar

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but isn't this a good thing for people who have vendors it could increase your sales! Imagine someone liking the stuff you sell and binds to the town your in specially when your in some random town.

13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Bind if you want to!
    Bind around the world!
    :p

14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

*Dances*

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In theory but you need to also account for market prices, overall demand and population. Some think this will help with population but I think that's a mostly theoretical opinion at this stage, too many factors involved to say for sure. With a high enough population this would be a moot point as you'd have enough people in the local area to sell to.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  16. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Personally I think it's more of a PR decision than a gameplay decision, since as you say, it doesn't really matter functionally so much anymore. After all, the playerbase has been debating this exact subject for years without much concession from Port so it's hard to believe that it's player opinion one way or another that really swayed the issue now. But an issue Port is now dealing with outside of the scope of gameplay functionality is having an underdeveloped, non-content area sandwiched between most of the developed content zones.

While technically the time on the overworld may seem insignificant compared to the time spent elsewhere, the quality of a person's experience tends to be based more on accumulated perception than absolute reality, and the constant routing through the overworld is a recurrent episode of lacklusterness that skews and detracts from appreciating the full game's potential, which probably hurts new players' emotional attachment to the world and subsequently their public reviews which other potential players might be making decisions from.

So, in my opinion at least, allowing more bypasses of the overworld to maximize time spent in more developed areas until its development can be brought up to a comparable status seems a decent marketing/production decision independent of its actual gameplay merits.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  17. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

You can bind if you want to,
    You can leave your friend list behind
    Cause your friends don't bind
    And if they don't bind
    Well they're no friends of mine

18. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

(emphasis mine)

If that were how this is going to play-out, it would be one thing. It's not though. Those areas will just have no traffic, so they will have a hard time justifying the resources to fix areas that no players are going into anyway. Rather then turning them into an asset of the game, they'll become an opportunity lost.

Krissa Lox likes this.
  19. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Oh, I completely agree with you there! I would personally love to see more of a push for either addressing the overworld sooner rather than later or dropping it entirely to focus on other priorities instead of fence-straddling it indefinitely for nostalgia's sake, but I don't have much hope of such an effort gaining much traction at this particular time.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I really just wish they went with the rune books. Coulda been a new scribing tree. Coulda had rune libraries. Coulda contributed to the economy and not just a gold sink. Coulda been cool.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.