No EXP from a Mountain Troll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neoandrew, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neoandrew

neoandrew Avatar

Hello guys ! I'm kinda new to the game so maybe I'm just saying some bullshit. But yesterday I went exploring with 5 friends and we got a troll encounter near the Crags. when we got in, it said it was a Tier 10 adventure. We then thought we'd get raped in seconds, but we tried anyway, at least to see how hard is a T10, since we had only seen T5 so far. We tried fighting him and got 1 of them down, but then it gave no XP at all. Is it a bug ? Or is it intended ? I thought maybe we didn't get any XP because I was the "strongest" of the team, and still was only AL 46. Anyone ? Thanks !

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Post any questions like this in the bug forum. Of course you should get xp and if you dont, everyone would want that fixed :)

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Maybe you used up more than he gave? Did you have any skills training during the fight? I ask this because it is a possible mistake and I tend to hunt the troll encounter alot and my EXP pool usually does go up.

4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Most likely the situation.

If you were training any skills during the fight, it's very possible that you spent more xp than you earned during the fight.

This would show a net loss or no net gain (depending on how many skills you had training at the time) when the fight was over.

You need to think of your XP Pool like a temporary memory bank. Kills/Quest XP goes in, but using skills that are set to "Training" will constantly draw from that pool to level up. So the Pool is like a bank that holds XP until you use it up.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and also, depending on the size of your group, the net XP gain from killing one of those Trolls might not be much to spread around the group. There is a % bonus per group member over 2... but then it gets split between x number of players.

For example, lets say that Troll normally gives 1000 xp (just making this number up for explanation purposes - The troll gives much more than 1000 xp). If you solo that Troll, you would get 1000 xp. The group xp formula has changed a few times, but I think it is currently: +10% +15% extra per party member divided by the number in the party... or 110% +(15% * N) / N.

So Party bonus goes like this:
    2 players = 110% + 30% / 2 ------ 140% / 2 ------- 70% Each equals 700 XP per person
    3 players = 110% + 45% / 3 ------ 155% / 3 ------- 52% Each equals 520 XP per person
    8 players = 110% + 120% / 8 ----- 230% / 8 ------ 29% Each equals 290 XP per person

As you can see, the number of players that need to share in the XP can drop substantially, even with the group bonus. If there were no bonus applied and there was a party of 8 players, that 1000 xp would get divided into 125 xp per person.

Sorthious likes this.
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yeah I would also agree most likely scenario is you had net zero gain in your adventure pool.

Could be a bug though, so I'd say try and repro it. Right before it dies, pull up your skills screen with "K" and see if you see it go up at time of death. Also make sure you are looking at the tab with adventure XP, and not producer XP.

It's a little tricky to get a hang of at first.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Interestingly, I saw the same thing yesterday while killing the trolls. Then I realized, I was looking at the crafting pool. (Not that you did the same thing, but it's a possibility.)

Sara Dreygon and eli like this.
  7. neoandrew

neoandrew Avatar

I was leveling some skills for sure. But my skills are really low, I had like 100k pooled exp. Before killing it, we were killing some weaker mobs and they were giving EXP, more than what I was spending. We were all anxious to see how much exp he would give, so everyone had his skill tab open. And everyone noticed that.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Were you party'd ??

9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

100k isn't necessarily much. Skills take XP exponentially. It takes only like 4000 or so to get the average skill from 1 up to 40. It takes a lot per level at 80, and it takes around100k per level at 98-99. And that's just for average skills, there are some that take 10x (or maybe more) of that amount. Innate skills are constantly leveling as you do almost anything and will suck your pool dry like a vampire if you're not careful. Then multiply by every skill you have set to training mode.

Basically, if you had any skill at all training at 80 or so, that could explain the situation right there. Last night I had an 8.2M pool (hadn't decided what I wanted to train for a while) that I burned down to 7.2M in about 20 minutes by taking a skill from 91 to 100, along with a few levels of one of the 10x innate skills that was in the upper 70s.

It is a good idea to stop skills when they get to 40/60/80, depending on how much you are using them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.