1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

No Macros or Botting Allowed of any kind

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Doubt it.
    You would loose whose here, with no funding to keep the project going. And then you would have a 90% of your player base say "*fck that, * play other things while absolutly killing the reputation of the game going forward.
    A wipe simply isnt going to happen.

The *botters* and exploiters that are in play right now have almost no effect in the big picture.
    By release the.. 5% ? 1% of who it is here now, will be what.. 0.5% ? 0.1% of the total population when they start pushing for more members and start hitting population goals?

Big picture the people who are ahead dont really effect the game.
    A wipe would mean the end of SOTA.

Numa, Solazur and iansmellios like this.
  2. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

No, it wouldn't. We have had quarterly wipes for 3 years. The vast majority would understand. Disappointed? Yes. But also understand.

Mata likes this.
  3. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

different world after r32 filled with different people.

just ban and delete these accounts that keep botting and exploiting easy peasy.

4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

What's big picture? A month? Six months? Six years?

If you have to wait years for the balance, then you're going to lose those who it affects. So I guess, sure, it'll "fix itself" in the long run.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

You've also got a mass amount of people here that have been told this is persistence.
    Id find it pretty hard to believe if my group was the only one that would quit on mention of a wipe.

Also not nearly as much time or effort was put into those 3 years knowing wipes were coming, as what was put into after persistence.

I know its 90% of my group. And that last 10% would only be around to try to salvage some assets before quitting.

Big picture as in at least untill a month or so after release.
    Even with the changes it takes less then 30 days to hit *late game* for any serious player.

Meaning with release you have to expect more serious players will join, meaning that *mass advantaged small % of whose here* will become a very small percent of the current players very quickly.
    And thats neglecting current attrition and such.

Matt Harris and iansmellios like this.
  6. bribrii

bribrii Avatar

This is a huge change with huge consequences. Can we get it as the Daily Message for a few days?

Net, Boedy Arc, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This is not an option. Botting is a reality that we'll have to live with no matter how many times we wipe.

What we need is an effective response to players that we know are breaking the rules. I have never macroed or used a bot or exploited a single game mechanic. Casual talk of wiping the server of xp and items is unwelcome. My time has already been spent.

Numa, Bodhbh Dearg, Womby and 8 others like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

However people paid real money for silver(me $150 worth), xp runs etc. because it was stated there would be no more wipes. Also many people have played 60 hrs a weak to develop thier chars would a wipe really be fair. Not a fat chance!

Ill go even go a step further and say this type of talk is retarted and inflamatory. Fix the problem while the population is low and in a year all this will be mute.

Warnings were a thing a few months ago, now is the time for systems and action.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I imagine if someone bought COTOs with real money and traded them for resources, they'd be pretty pissed if those resources were wiped. Could be the recipe for an actual lawsuit.

Edit: looks like Ruin and I were thinking the same thing. hehe

10. eli

eli Avatar

what about a "report botter" in game action that makes the target flag pvp unless they do a captcha.. if you abuse the function too much it gets disabled for you.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Friends only mode

12. ThunderSAJ

ThunderSAJ Avatar

Resource Processing
    20 at a time? Why not 50 or 100 or 1000 if avail?
    At any rate keyboard or mouse that allows an auto load of 20 every so many seconds regardless of fail or success?????????

Archery, GM with sub GM's (My only GM fighting skills)
    If i wander into a 1 skull area with auto attack enabled and end up grabbing a sandwich due to ease of area 10 minutes later without leaving the area or logging out, will the solution be to make all 1 skull areas as hard as a 5 skull to prevent being able to take out the target that easy? Or make a person have to click anything and everything and take away auto targeting and firing that was built into the game by design? Players that remain would invent a new way to target and achieve same goals ending up back at square one. You frustrate them out to the point they leave (which may be an agenda to clean players out for a fresher cleaner release) or they double down to achieve the same goal through different methods.

Personally,

If i wish to risk my death in the game by walking away in an area that i earned enough strength and skill to handle with ease, or even afk. I see that as my choice to put my character in danger. Take the risk...
    But I am not looting or gaining resources unless there at keyboard, besides what little pool will be gained.
    Is that wrong and banable now?
    I enjoyed very much working my character up to level of this ability and its not a universal ability in all areas.
    Now i fear that is gone....... for the first time in a month, my computer will be turned off. With thoughts of a game i play side by side with this one is heavily considered. I understand fully loss of players is never a motivating factor but i fear your touching on a big topic with this one.

I am thinking about how nice it is to see people online in an "online game" even if they are not physically at their keyboard at that time. Once you remove the macro'er or threaten enough that people just log onto another favorite online game that has no such restrictions, (In my Case my two 12 year old Eve Online accounts) what your left with on a daily basis while the working world people go do their real life jobs is a sparse game server with small increases after work hours until that is even no more.

I fully understand that certain players are achieving goals that your in house projections figured would take years to achieve.
    I understand something must change, i think most people do.
    I saw a post earlier that made sense in its one sentence. This is months after the wipe. This did not just get noticed over the holiday weekend. Why now?
    Those that gained an UNGODLY advantage in the game, what becomes of them? (It seems they keep what they gained in the past. While restrictions get put on the world.) Making their position that much stronger.

These are hard issues and topics to wrap around. The fear is very much out there that a wipe at some point, even of just skills to try to even the world out is down the road once macro enforcement frustrates the Dev Team because to many accounts are being termed due to violation or player loss.

I would hate to have to make these decisions for so many who in several cases gave so much real world out of their own real world income (Myself and significant other) to crowd fund a game world they are deciding whether or not to only continue. But perhaps leave before it gets any worse.

I was told earlier tonight, "I played UO for 15 years and sold off and moved here, i hope a year from now we don't look back at this as a very expensive lesson."

We are asking DEV's. Please really think how this will be enforced very well before acting. Once you term accts and begin it will leave that lasting impression on the termed and those watching.
    My hopes for next 10 to 15 years is in play to me. Shroud is a great game and i play a certain way. A way many do.

Bodhbh Dearg, FrostII and Beli like this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

The problem with doing a wipe is that many people have invested a great deal of time in their characters with the understanding that we are in persistence. Personally, I feel that persistence should have occurred sometime in early 2017, but at this point, it is what it is. It's like a 'catch 22' in that a wipe would clear much of the issues created since persistence, yet on the other hand, it would only serve to alienate those who have invested a considerable amount of time in building up their character through legitimate means. All Port can do at this point is minimize the damage going forward.

Matt Harris, Elwyn, One Zero and 4 others like this.
  14. ThunderSAJ

ThunderSAJ Avatar

Paid into $1000.00 based on persistence.

Matt Harris, Elwyn, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  15. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I was asked to post my opinion about wipes. I'm a farmer and crafter that has spent months working in the mines and running around surface zones to get the exp needed for my ambitions. There's no crafting at a Control Point or even the focus of any of the exploited exp discussions, but a wipe would certainly destroy all the effort I've put forth. Sure, in the Adventuring EXP world, I could get back to my current level in no time, but not the crafting EXP. Other MMOs have dealt with similar problems, so why does SotA have to keep on wiping the world? Sorry if you came in late, so I did I to a certain extent, but the only thing preventing players from getting ahead is their own imagination, not Adventurer Level or the level of any other player.

Elwyn, Bodhbh Dearg, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There's no point in arguing this. There will NOT be a wipe. We've had these discussions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and ov.......

Either Portalarium will punish people, or they won't. They will not set us back to the beginning, or it will surely be the end.

17. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

No more wipes were promised, and this is an honorable company. Those who cheat will be removed (as they should be) timely, properly and honestly. Life is good, as we play by the rules. Without rules, we have no game.

18. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Sadly the reality is more near to this; Most will rage quit, and a few will move on..

They can't, and they won't, do a full wipe of skills/items because they know the risk of this. Like @One Zero perfectly said, we know, and I'm pretty sure they know it too, the last wipe was too early. Basically, it's too late for any big change now.

Elwyn, One Zero, mass and 6 others like this.
  19. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Trust in Lord British ...... he is a man of his word.

20. Delene

Delene Avatar

I don't think they'll do it.

My main character has spent about $3,000 in real money for rare houses and for an old anywhere town lot and other rares that I began collecting at persistence. I'm sure I'm only one of many, and I'm sure some people have spent more. I would never be able to find all those sellers because a lot of them sell under other names, and some are gone from the game after selling out.

It doesn't even make sense to punish the people who are trying to play the game correctly, in order to punish cheaters. That would be the ultimate griefing.

However, I am rethinking buying anything in the future. Just in case. Or investing so much in a game ever again. Having a scare like this makes be realize how stupid that is, when things can be gone in an instant.

mizztery, Elwyn, ThunderSAJ and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.