No Man's Sky is doing well!

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Astirian, Aug 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I've been keeping an eye on this one and I was very much aware of the flak it was copping when it first released but it looks like the guys over at Hello Games are doing really well now!

One thing that strikes me about the video below is the cohesiveness of all the systems coming together. While I don't really mind the Online grind in SotA because I treat Online like a garden personally, this guy's got some real good optics on it. (I know grind comes up a fair bit here).. Skip to 5:30 for his views on that.

But anyway, the point is, QoL updates really can make a difference over time. And Port's definitely committed to those which is nice to see.

One of the reasons why this is even on my radar is because I got an email about the update, and this is the sheer quality of the update page:

https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/

That's beyond (hoho!) impressive.

These guys have been the underdog as far as I know over the last few years and it just goes to show how perseverance in the face of adversity can pay off! :)

P.S: I know this thing had insane visibility before it even launched. However, I'd almost look at its approach to recapturing the customer as best practice at this stage.

Retlaw, margaritte, Montaigne and 4 others like this.
  2. Harry Online

Harry Online Avatar

wrong forum:D:p:D:D:D Steam is that way -------------------------------->

Brass Knuckles, Floors and Astirian like this.
  3. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Haha! I fear I'm on a wine assisted YouTube walk tonight. Just came across this vid and Daggerfall nearly killed its devs apparently so... ;)

That title looks like I'm taking a dig, I'm not, just getting through the Daggerfall part now and the sheer amount of work the devs put in. :)

4. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

@Astirian You may not have known this, but you need to post this in the Games Room section of the Forum.
    The General Forum is for discussing all things Shroud :)

Alleine Dragonfyre and Astirian like this.
  5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Oops! Sorry. You're right, I'm pretty bad for posting any random thought I have in General. :D

Where's the little Spider Watcher Man, can he move me?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  6. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

The big difference between NMS and SOTA is that NMS launched with a lot fewer features and less content than people expected out of it, so they could gradually add stuff and win people back that way. SOTA on the other hand launched completely overloaded with half baked ideas that were a dealbreaker to a lot of its potential audience, then went on a whale hunt, so now it's completely dependent on the tiny number of people in the world who think those ideas are amazing and shouldn't ever be revised.

I think it's much more difficult for SOTA to turn itself around, because it can't simply add more stuff when the reason it didn't do well in the first place is all the stuff that's already in the game that simply turns people off. Like you can't ever have a reasonable talk about reducing grind in SOTA, because it's simply blasphemy to think self destructing gear is stupid, or that power should be attainable through specialization and not just years of amassing XP. or that when you carry 5000 arrows maybe you're just not playing a game that should count them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Gorthyn likes this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The issue isn't so much with Daggerfall itself.
    The issue is encoded in Bethesdas commercial DNA. The flak Bethesda is getting now for pretty much all their recent products was a long way in coming when you know Beth history.

Jaesun and Astirian like this.
  8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah, tbh when it comes to Beth's latest stuff... I dunno. Daggerfall to me is a masterpiece of scope, imagination, technical genius and ambition, only second to the Ultima series for me. Morrowind was the first TES I actually finished. I started Skyrim in 2011 and only finished it last year haha! Fallout 4 I was like... um... Is this Minecraft for adults now? I could kind of feel the commercial driver in it ya know?

Just got to the bit in that video where Redguard and Todd Howard rock up... :)

9. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Pretty much any giant publisher is going through the same problem. A game series can become so popular that you simply can't grow the audience further by making a better game. Everyone in the world who is at all in the market for games of that genre is already buying it. Then the only way to keep growing is to deliver less and/or charge more.

Astirian likes this.
  10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Would it be bad if I started talking Outlaws of the Old West here. ;-)

Squirrel!

Astirian likes this.
  11. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I think NMS is pretty amazing now. When it first released there was nothing there, not now it has a ton of content. It turned out a decent game and one I continue to delve into now and again.

Astirian and Montaigne like this.
  12. Xee

Xee Avatar

I tried NMS in VR, I have to say it was the coolest game i have played overall in VR. There are a few nice ones but this one worked really well and has me excited for the future.

Astirian and Montaigne like this.
  13. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Loving it in VR!

Montaigne and Xee like this.
  14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

No Man’s Sky multiplayer has been pretty nice.
    I overplayed it the first time I bought it - so taking my time with it, but is an excellent game that has come into its own game - a bit like the Final Fantasy XIV relaunch had been.

Astirian likes this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The NMS Developers promised an amazing game on release. They failed. Years of very hard work, perseverance, skill, and patience the NMS Developers delivered a really great game.

NMS is reason alone to buy a Valve Index. INCREDIBLE!

Developers have two choices on releasing a turd. Flush it or polish it. Even a polished turd is better than nothing, right?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Shift

Shift Avatar

One of the biggest differences that drove No Man's Sky To be successful after the catastrophic failure it was at launch is that its being 100% driven by Sean Murray's passion and refusal to let it fail and the drive to fulfil a childhood dream. He's Stated Countless of times in interviews that NMS was a labor of love a dream and a passion project. I can't say the same for Sota. Sota Devs don't even play their own game. I'm not saying that sota devs don't work hard. They do. But its definitely not a labor of love and a passion project to them. They tend to make a lot of design decisions based on metrics. (Just look at how many times the New player experience has been changed.) Metrics Can't measure fun. I hate to say it. But the even the creative director Lord British seems to be missing in action for months at a time.