Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No Melee Engineers Anymore...

Discussion in 'Release 53 QA Feedback Forum' started by Sir Leonard, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Seriusly, not just a single melee one?
    Great, this will make me wanna just skip sieges forever from now on. :(

I already did it with the mountain version, now will do it with all of them.
    Good luck for ya archers/mages who won't spend 2 minutes chasing down people around while ankle snared.

Sieges had been by large my primary exp source. Now i guess I'll just go back to doing K'rul endlessly again. Anyway... ;(

Lace, Archer, Arcanoxer and 3 others like this.
  2. Sir Leonard

PS: I've been playtesting this and... yeah, really this "experience" is just more of a nuisance than anything else. Disliked from the bottom of my heart. :/

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Not from a practical point of view, just a general feeling, I always thought it was cool that they were both archers and melee.

Sir Leonard likes this.
  5. Sir Leonard

I personally will never understand why an engineer should also be a marksman... instead they should throw some grenades, fight with hammers (yeah, fixing catapults and smashing heads), call reinforcements (summon a lower minion or aggro the vicinities?), build some machinery... or have automaton pets... at most, shoot with rifles or crossbows at a distance and switch weapons for melee. But never have the same mobility or mechanic as a ever-running archer. Anyway...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Lace, Chrystoph Reis and LoneStranger like this.
  6. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I know the melee ones had some AI problems with the current live release but I also feel this is a very annoyng way to fix that. I hope they reconsider as sieges are generally one of the things to at end game.

Archer and Sir Leonard like this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i could solo sieges before, if i was willing to die nine or ten times to do it. it was always the archers that killed me. no more sieges for me.

Lace, Archer, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  8. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

The Archer engineers in hill sieges run around a lot more than other Archer enemies. I wonder if this is intended. The time it takes to chase them down as a melee character, even with stuns, is crazy.

Lazlo and Chrystoph Reis like this.
  9. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Swarms of archers in sieges is NOT FUN.

By Tor, Archer, Arcanoxer and 2 others like this.
  10. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Archers would not be as difficult if they behaved properly... like not being able to shoot while a melee person is hitting them. Blocking with a bow will greatly increase the damage to the bow. Limited ammunition (encumbrance, etc.). And this should apply to Avatars as well. Increase the damage of a good hit in the back. Allow passive shield carrying to actually block shots as well, active blocking should make archery not hit at all unless flanked.
    Never mind, repeating things over and over and over does absolutely nothing, just makes me play less.

11. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

Perhaps they can tell us why they decided to do this....
    Because as previously stated I don't think I would do sieges if its all archers I had tried a mountain siege before that had all archer siege engineers and immediately left, it is not fun at all....
    So maybe a little insight to this change might help us understand

FrostII and Tamsen like this.
  12. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

As an archer myself I am not happy either, because GUESS WHO IS WAY UP EVERYONES HITLIST!

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

NPC Archers hit me 10x harder then melee and mages... without a doubt. I think the npc's are far to powerful for their given levels (and the melee are to weak... which is probably why they changed).

Elwyn and discipleofweb like this.
  14. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Our original design for the Siege Engineers was for them to be hammer-wielding melee fighters. After testing and updates, we realized they needed to be ranged fighters, instead. This is because catapults--which require an NPC to fire them--rely on the stats/skills of their associated NPCs in order to attack at range. In other words: In order for the catapults to be able to properly attack enemies at range, their NPC "users" needed to be ranged attackers.

While we did switch all the Siege Engineers to become ranged attackers, I accidentally didn't remove the hammer from some of them. That meant there were some ranged attackers that didn't have a ranged weapon, and were instead trying to use a melee weapon for which they had no skills.

All that being said, please know that we're paying attention to comments about these changes and will be talking about what changes or improvements would be best for sieges in the long-term.

Lace, Elwyn, Sentinel2 and 9 others like this.
  15. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

Since you have been playing with enemy behaviors maybe you could incorporate that into siege engineers, and give them some bludgeon skills since it does make since for them to have a hammer for repairs.... but they could perhaps be a mix melee at times and range at others, just a suggestion

16. Draugur2

Draugur2 Avatar

Just cleared a camp on QA. Siege equals NOT FUN. As a melee fighter I spent all my time chasing the dumba** mobs around while they used disabling shot on me. Sure I get thats a valid tactic but I'm way over level for the camps and it was more like swatting mosquitoes. I get why you had to changed them @Sannio but something else needs to be done. What if it was a mid tier like boss that we couldn't attack or he couldn't attack us until the rest of the camp was cleared?

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, melee needs to learn and use body slam as often as possible.

discipleofweb likes this.
  18. Draugur2

Draugur2 Avatar

That wasn't the point I was making @2112Starman. Thanks but I know how to play the game.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Sorry, you said you have to chaise the mobs around all over the place as a melee. I played a Bludge for over a year and a half and I got around that with using body slam so I didn't have to chase them. Sorry to offend you bud, just trying to help.

In PvP, archers who ran, jumped and hopped around in PvP were the easiest for me to kill as a melee, just chain body slam them and they dropped in seconds.

20. Draugur2

Draugur2 Avatar

I was being completely lazy about it when I was doing the camp, which I should have stated. The mobs are green to me and die in a couple of swings. In pvp that would be a different story of course. Sorry about that Starman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.