Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No penalty weekends or days.

Discussion in 'Release 48 Feedback Forum' started by Jefe, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That's what I figured.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Besides that, dying and going to the ankh without an extra penalty becomes too useful a way for players to skip content. Like ghosting through control points.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, so, what's your point? If I always gain back what I lose, why should it matter to me?

Barugon likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think the current "soft cap" sufficiently limits skill gain beyond GM and the death penalty is WAY overkill.

Nikko likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not arguing for the current death penalty, I was just saying to Quenton that going to the ankh isn't enough.

The current one I don't think is good for a lot of reasons. But I'd still defend what I'm saying that the current one doesn't matter for a lot of people. So you have some people who feel it a lot, and some people who shrug it off. One reason is the decay cap. What you want is a penalty that is the same for everyone, so it doesn't stop mattering just because you play a lot, and doesn't hurt casual players the most.

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Cuz a lot of us wanted death to be like Ultima/EverQuest, where you actually have to find a rez, then find your corpse, then loot yourself. The compromise is you lose some exp :-/

( @Chris drop inventory to corpse on death! drop inventory to corpse on death! drop inventory to corpse on death! Its good for the economy! )

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Death should sting enough to make you cautious, but I'm firmly against 'permanent loss of what you have earned'. The game is grindy enough as is, and permanent xp loss is an outdated concept.

Dying - a 5 minute debuff/timeout would be sufficient to discourage it, a 5-hour xp loss setback is excessive, and players are essentially punished for the more time they invest in their character. In 5, 10 years time, even the casual players will be losing MILLIONS - probably months of progress. Its not sustainable.

Divorce the idea of "skill cap" from "death penalty" - these two things should be separate.
    Death should be inconvenient enough to not be used as a shortcut or a triviality but not so harsh as to discourage exploring, trying new content, or challenging yourself, as it currently does.
    Solo-grinding trivial content for hours as an "entry fee" to doing anything more interesting gets old and while some of the older, hard-core gamers will embrace it, its not going to appeal to the wider market at all. That's why they don't list "PERMANENT XP LOSS ON DEATH, LOSE DAYS OF PROGRESS!" on the front page as a feature.

Gregg247 and FrostII like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

From your lips to their ears....
    Not sure what it's gonna take for Port to understand what's happening here......

kaeshiva likes this.
  9. Thief

Thief Avatar

Sounds a great idea. You can replicate that by dying in the mage room at The Rise. Go back to an res point then get naked. Try to reach the room naked. Please just try once :).

10. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

At my level, the the first death of the death penalty is one full solo mage room clear worth of XP. This is a lot to me considering most of the time I login with only enough time for 2 or 3 runs and then have to log again. I can do the mage room and the skeleton archers/warriors in the lich room above without any worry of death. The real problem I have is that I like to explore and find new places to grind all the time. A few deaths trying to learn a new area will set me back a lot considering my limited play time. This usually keeps me farming the same places. I like feeling that I have made improvements every time I log in. That I accomplished something in the 45 minutes i have. I don't want to log in and loose 200k in XP and then log out.

This doesn't matter to everyone. I have a friend who dies all the time. I tell him to pull back and he says that he doesn't care. This does matter to me though with my currently limited play time. If they keep the death penalty they way it is, a no penalty weekend would be nice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I wouldn't, Id say goodbye to my perishables, and head back to town to pay a crafter to make me some more gear. Id also like perishables to include gold, for gold to be a physical object with weight you have to carry, and thus also risk losing when you die. So maybe I care more about my inventory than sword and cape, and have a real risk when farming.

Or, Id use stealth, and creep back to my corpse. *assuming Subterfuge gets a pass and stealth skills are more functional*

Or, Id try and form a group of fighters to come assist me with recovering my perishable items.

Im also not advocating a SotA thats completely soloable. Id like players to need to interact with each other to acquire goods, services, and groups (for things beyond "slay the dragon"). I also think this game is incredibly easy, in terms of dangers the world presents, and its so forgiving that its getting to the theme park border now.

12. Thief

Thief Avatar

I totally agree. These should be true for full loot

a) more players online (so we can request help)
    b)standard gear is ok to kill some mid-high mobs (to get our loot back)
    c) no big xp loss in case of death
    d)clear crafting system (after spending 6k copper silver and gold I should at least get a proper set... )

Black Tortoise likes this.
  13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Yeap, the need to recover items from death will likely lead to people hanging around public forges in major town centers. Id like to foster a game culture that harkens to the persistent crowd found at the West Brit forge (from UO).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.