No Sexual Objectification of Female Characters ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by lesterley, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lesterley

lesterley Avatar

For the love of all that is holy (or unholy?) PLEASE provide a diverse selection of female characters - both player characters and NPCs.

<b>Give us fat women, old women, ugly women. Heck, be daring and give us a couple of <i>PREGNANT</i> characters!</b> (Shocking, I know.)

There are many us of who would greatly appreciate not being forced to once again endure female characters in an MMO that are impossibly attractive and impractically dressed.

Thank you!

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

If my wife plays the game (FPO only, I'm sure), I suspect her chief request 1ill f2
    that shoes be stylish and plentiful. ;)

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Variety is the spice of life.

(Which as some would argue also applies to shoes.) ;)

I can appreciate eye candy as much as the next guy but I have to agree on all points here. Especially the 'impractically dressed' part. Something of a pet peave of mine. And I hope Owain's wife would forgive me for this one as I don't know how she feels about this particular style but please NO SPIKED HEELS! Even fantasies should have their limits.

4. WrenXIII

WrenXIII Avatar

or thongs with spikes (and I'm not talking about "thong" sandals, though that too would not work well with spikes)

Mordecai likes this.
  5. DrHat

DrHat Avatar

If we are to have variety..truly, then I must insist on disagreement with the OP. We must have females who are, for all sakes and purposes, with considerably enriched bosoms, dancing hips and little clothing.

You can't just demand to only have the selection you personally like. If someone wishes to play a, pardon the expression, "woman of the night" then so be it, as long as you have the choice to pick from the other varieties you mentioned..

TL/DR: We must have all of what OP said +Sexual hot females too, let people then decide what they wish to play.

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Green skinned, ugly big nosed witch!!

The Cult Leader and jgrahl like this.
  7. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

How bout some beer bellies on those guys too.

Tarsin, Ned888, Golem Dragon and 2 others like this.
  8. lesterley

lesterley Avatar

Actually, DrHat, we're not in disagreement.

I never asked that the sexy, half-naked women be EXCLUDED from the game. Only that they NOT be the ONLY OPTION.

jhugg, Mata, Ceal Astra and 11 others like this.
  9. blackdaze

blackdaze Avatar

I enjoy modesty myself, I liked DAoCs style in that regard and perfectly fit the fantasy vibe. Women/Men in that game weren't over exaggerated and it really helped to build the atmosphere of the game and appeal.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

The Ultima games, for the most part, haven't tended to over-sexualize women. SotA should follow suit.

11. glambourine

glambourine Avatar

I truly love that the Ultima games (at least up to 7) gave you the freedom to (1) play a female avatar and (2) play with female party members who really were distinct, living breathing people. Katrina, Mariah, Jaana, and Julia always felt 100% legit to me: they weren't "female characters" so much as "characters," and I don't think any of them were even *sexualized* let alone *over-sexualized.* They're cool people to adventure with. It's sad that this is still a way in which the Ultima series is unique, even today: I can't think of other female characters in mainstream AAA titles who seem as real as Jaana. Please let this be SotA's guiding principle when creating "female NPCs"!

12. DrHat

DrHat Avatar

In that case leslee, I am happy to side with you on your initial point :)

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

UO had armored bikinis, but they were optional. You could also wear regular armor.

sheetrock1 likes this.
  14. ReleeSquirrel

ReleeSquirrel Avatar

You could wear a shirt under your armour in WoW, too. Not many people did, though.

BillRoy likes this.
  15. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Can we wait for more than 3 pieces of concept art are released before we start second-guessing the designer's chauvinism?

Montaigne likes this.
  16. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I peeked in on one of our new Concept Artists the other day as he was working on some new character sketches. I think you will be quite impressed when it is finally ready for release. It very much demonstrated that female Avatars can be strong, sexy, and clothed, all at the same time. :)

majoria70, Ned888, violation and 3 others like this.
  17. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Key point. Don't genderlock any item. Doesn't matter if it looks like it's designed for only a woman or a man to wear, to be egalitarian both should have the option of wearing it. Especially if the stat buffs are better. :p

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't care what universe you're in.. if a guy's wearing a sporty leather bra because it has better stats that's pretty messed up.

19. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

And if he's wearing plate and mail with a pink floral design etched into it because it's less prone to getting chopped to pieces then the bland leather armour he's already wearing?

I don't know about you, but if someones coming at me with a sword and there's a shield next to me with a love heart on it, that's not enough to stop me using the shield to avoid being stabbed to death.

I'm comfortable with my masculinity, and the appearance of any protective gear is completely secondary to the quality of it's function.

Also I can't help but wonder what your opinion on guys playing female characters is. I know there's a pretty huge double standard their amongst a lot of players.
    Making sure equipment isn't restricted makes sure know what claim bias towards one side or the other.

dragon8u likes this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There's a difference between using a shield in an emergency and running around with it proudly putting it on display. So that's not the greatest arguement to make a case with. In either case, if you want to go out of your way to be offended this isn't the place for that kind of debate.

As for people who play characters of the opposite gender. It depends HOW that character is played and why. I've known guys who played women for all the wrong reasons and I've known guys who's done with a good deal of respect because of the character was interesting. You can take that however you will.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.