No Sexual Objectification of Female Characters ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by lesterley, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

wasn't that the "Mortal Kombat" era?
    Was that before or after the "night trap" era?

edited: Because poor literacy is kewl!

NRaas likes this.
  2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Around the same time; both released in 1992.

There are actors, entertainers, heck, even politicians who openly play and enjoy roleplaying and MMO gaming. The social stigmata and fear-mongering tactics have become far less common since the Internet, and especially global market shares, have continued to grow.

Just as a comparison, look how huge something like Blizzcon has become, or the fact we've watched gaming commercials during the Super Bowl. Geek culture rocks, yo. :D

Edit: Should also point out, Richard Garriott himself is a FREAKING astronaut, and visited the International Space Station during his trip. How freaking awesome is that for a selling point to someone interested? ;)

galacticwizard and Dadalama like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Times have changed. In 1992, many people still believed that video games were only for children and that mature content in games was less common.

Now, literally the majority of gamers are adults and mature content is more common.

4. Kazee

Kazee Avatar

Apologies if this has already been said, but back on topic:

This argument comes up often for the full spectrum of game forums, and just as often the consensus of the majority is clear: Choice is the key word.

Most players in a lore-driven sim or RPG do not want immersion-breaking, caricatured, ridiculously proportioned, hyper-sexual options for characters (male or female) nor do they expect characters to be swathed head to toe to hide their unclean faces and bodies from the world.

However, most believe that there should be a variety of options to present your (male or female) character as either sexy yet functional or, if they choose, homely and utilitarian.

As long as both options are present and the extremes eliminated, the vast majority will be pleased with the virtual world.

Iona, Sunsanvil, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Mostly on topic, and good for at least a laugh. (Placed behind a spoiler since it isn't 100% work safe.)

[​IMG]

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The "Flash" is almost living up to their name in that one. :)

Maka, Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I could have sworn I clicked on my SOTA bookmark and not /pol/ :confused:

I....I..........I don't even know where to begin here in this thread.

It's now my sworn duty to objectify men in SOTA. My Wizard is going to be so manly and masculine he'll break the game and flood it with OP items 9 months after launch. He'll be so beefy that when he walks down the street all the female characters will undergo spontaneous conception. 9 months later they'll give birth.....to guns.
    Then I'll even that out by getting him (?) a husband in game. Then go out and solo a T-Rex with my fist. So I can harvest his blood. It'll be used for ink to write a Bible for my husband to read after he's done cooking, sweeping and doing the dishes. But only the old Testament. I don't want him getting any funny ideas and whatnot.
    I'm honestly going to mention this in my stand up routine.
    But right now I'm going to go and try to drink the memory of this thread away.

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

personally i dont like super skinny, big topped barbie looking women anyhow i like a regular homely(as in average woman) classic women to me were beautiful, becuae they were "real" looking and the last thing i want when taking a woman out to eat is for her to go foricibly puke it up cause she thinks shes too fat! Those super model type women destroy self esteem of teen girls now a day! I hate that they have to base everything on what a fake woman looks like, and the crap she has to go through to get that way! Ok im done preaching! beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I can find something beautiful about any woman no matter what size, shape or form! :) Regular everyday average women!

Time Lord, Mata, Iona and 4 others like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Given RG's history as a game designer and the Ultima series, I don't think this will be a concern.

Zelek Uther, Maka and Time Lord like this.
  10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Oh ya. Let's just make Chuck Norris in SotA. :D

Time Lord and Orladin like this.
  11. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I would do that Caliya but then I wouldn't be able to get anything done due to too many party requests from the ladiez

Zelek Uther and Caliya like this.
  12. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

To be fair, there should be fat ugly half naked women as well... to be "balanced" properly with reality of course.

13. Kheldras

Kheldras Avatar

What is one mans knightmare is anothers darling... sounds like the right woman an orc can be proud of.. esp if she had nice tusks!

I only have the request to have armour.. well look like armor... stuff designed to protect, no chainmail bras... and not EVERY female cloth skimpy (see Guild Wars 2)... Im not prudent, such wear surely has its use (theres a bellydance emote somewhen? :D ), but not out in the wilderness or dungeon "adventuring", or even on the towns market.

14. mahjah

mahjah Avatar

Made this fan art in nineteen hundred and...too long ago. Troll rocking Firiona Vie outfit ;) She is objectified as an expression of her empowerment over men, one could say..
    [​IMG]

15. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Thanks for that. I haven't seen that before. Very amusing! :)

Time Lord and Caliya like this.
  16. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

That is something I'd like to have in SoTA, actually - wear clothes under your armour, wear robes over clothes/armour - like Morrowind, more the less.

Miracle Dragon and Mordecai like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Miracle Dragon and mahjah like this.
  18. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

19. Net

Net Avatar

I do not know, female superheroes usually have more covered breast area. Even Batgirl did not have bat nipples for some reason on her suit unlike both Batman and Robin:)

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

****Please be advised regarding the content on this video...may be inappropriate for viewing to some. ****Contains explicit and partial nudity******

So here is bless, altho quite a few showy females, still gives the option to coverup LOL I do love that video Tarsin so very funny. Thanks.

Wow how did I miss this, one of my favorite subjects?. lol It seems like an older post but that's fine.

I've read through the posts and can see the variety of points being made all valid and personal preferences.

For myself, I do not agree with the realistic point at all. I am roleplaying and pretending. I don't want it to be RL....please lol.

For our game we need tons of character style choices and customization .

I am a STRONG advocate for wonderful looking characters to fit each of our preferred style and body types.

I prefer to roleplay a beautiful, sexy, gorgeous maiden , but want to have many choices for everyone. I do not take offense at admiration.
    As to the many other topics re char look and char models, ,,,,,,,, I am fighting for wonderful and choices, ......so.... lol you will probably find me there. :D

Maka, Tarsin, Miracle Dragon and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.