No, there are no PKs in SotA. Or is there?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bambino, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I really miss the UO experience. The main reason I pledged was because I thought this was going to be a revamp of UO. The U4-U7 experience I would have thought to be the single player offline mode as U4-U7 where single player games. When they stated that they wanted to bring the U7 - U4 to a multiplayer game it made me think of a revamped UO with a storyline and all the virtues and anti virtues in working condition. I loved the cruelty of the world, the pk, the anti pk, all of the role play involved. So after pledging and waiting and seeing how this game has been developed I feel like it has betrayed its base. The PK is scorned at a social justice level. Everything is so emotional here, and not like a fantasy environment that UO had been. I have been made out to be a truly bad person when in all honesty I have just tried to make my points and be understood. I am truly Ravicus, the hated. When I started this game, backing it, I was one of the people that bought one of the first 20 POT's. I had huge plans for RP/PvP and wanted my town to be an evil based RP town. I was playing on being an anti virtue character. This game does not however condone this really, at least in RP. There are PK's that are out there, that kill ruthlessly, and I love it. I am glad that this still can be done. However you cannot do this in a RP environment like UO was able to. Its not the same feel to me. Its kind of like forcing myself to log in to grind, to be able to compete. Nothing to do with a Role Playing Game. Its more of like an online chat room with avatars. Its really sad to me how this turned out now, after official launch. I am sorry to everyone that I have hurt, sometimes out of frustration and anger, and sometimes out of pure honesty. However, the PK in this game will be anathema to the modern vision of the dev's and the community elite. I wish you all luck in overcoming this.

Bambino likes this.
  2. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@redfish: So, you would agree that PK in SotA has been redefined from UO? "We now hinge being a PK as following dishonorable rules of engagement?"

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bambino

Well, I think PKing was always about griefing other players. The only change in SotA is they put in a system where you basically consent to be griefed...

Whether that does away with the concept of a "PK" or not I don't know... but I think this is a lousy PvP system at any rate.

4. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Griefing does not require PvP, but PKing requires PvP. But, I am glad you agree that non-flagged players attacking flagged players is griefing.

What are you not liking about it? Balance? Lack of alignments or a justice system?

IMO, the core mechanics in combat is hands down the funnest I've ever encountered in any MMO. This game is not a button masher (although, for some it can be). Thanks to the spell weaving system.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bambino,

I think we need a justice system, plus meaningful PvP contexts -- for example, bounty hunting, taking over control points, capturing a player with contraband etc. Some faction system would help, too. I did a post about at least the first half of that here.

Bambino, Bigg and miroko like this.
  6. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

PKs, as defined in the UO realm, do not exist in SotA. There are no innocents to kill. We have PvPers that are scorned for engaging in dishonorable rules of contact. It seems much of the community is redefining the word PK into just that.

Tbh Ravicus, I think the RP landscape for murders, pillagers and cut throats is what SotA does best. There is much more love for RP, Adventuring, and PvE than PvP across the board. I guess I should ask, what about SotA makes the PK RP environment sour for you?

Btw, you have not been forgotten. I still think there is still room for the Ravicus Domdred you intended to be. I for one was excited to see how your PvP RP and PoT would pan out.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

A lot of the old UO bunch here seem to have the idea that PvP should be in some way "honorable".

Elrond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.