Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No XP or Leveling?

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Mithryl Elves, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mithryl Elves

Mithryl Elves Avatar

I'm sure its listed somewhere and I just cant find it or am I broken?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm pretty sure XP just isn't in yet but I haven't been able to participate in the tests due to certain concerns.. but.. no leveling. At least not in the traditional sense. You get XP and train up stats and skills.. but you don't "level up" as it were.

BillRoy likes this.
  3. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Honestly, I wish the general "level number" is removed from the game completely. If the training up of skills work as they have talked about, then a level number would not matter since a "level 50" vs "level 75" would not and should not mean more "power" for the "level 75" but rather more training in what could be a variety of skills, but master of none. I would rather see a title of "Journeyman Fisherman" as a reflection of my highest rated skill rather than "Level 50"...boooring.

Maxe, gtesser, Amberraine and 3 others like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Bowen Bloodgood is correct, there is currently no leveling in the game at the moment.

The devs have provided a set number of skill points which you can apply in any of the currently available skills.

I believe they have mentioned this is intentional, and will probably remain this way for a while.

They want us to test all "levels" of the game, and given the limited access for testing, having to "level up" every time would be time consuming and counter productive. :)

BillRoy likes this.
  5. jrb9249

jrb9249 Avatar

I agree with TEK--leveling has always struck me as somewhat of an immersion-breaker. Seeing "Grandmaster Mage" brings me further into the game while seeing "Level 50 Mage" does just the opposite.

mikeaw1101, Maxe, gtesser and 4 others like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Leveling is fine by me as long as it's not done the way it was done in Bethesda's games where monsters level with you, or in WoW where there are "gates" where certain areas are only level x and up.

I think you should be able to run into stuff in a game that is way too powerful for you.

I've always done this in my tabletop RPGs - the players can always run away or escape (If they try and make their rolls that is) . This way they never know if they "should" be able to beat something and it increases suspense on otherwise mundane encounters.

Since SoTA is going for more skill related design, maybe we can dispense with levels completely

BillRoy, Amberraine and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I think there does need to be a way to measure progress, but I like the idea of titles such as Apprentice, Journeyman and Master far more than a number for your 'level'. :)

I also like the idea of running into things you can't handle, or at least not alone. Even if you have made it to 'Master Swordsman', maybe you don't have quite the right knowledge, tactics or equipment to defeat a particular enemy. I don't mean that I want to see this become like other games where you must have X gear to defeat Y monster and have no hope otherwise. But there should be things that are tough and require a group with different skills, working together and trying different tactics to win. For the single-player game, perhaps there will be companions to help (has anything more been said about that lately?), or the encounters might be scaled down due to the fact that there's no possibility of gathering other players to help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.