Noob tax free housing Question

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by kozmoh, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozmoh

kozmoh Avatar

So ive been playing casually for about a month now. And im considering buying a tax free house.

Honestly , i think the tax thing is a bit ridiculous and is probably a big turn off for folks that cant afford a tax free lot.

So my question is : Is there any plans to eliminate this tax in the near future and replace it with a monthly sub that would be determined by the house size you have?

Follow up Q : I would be happy with a row lot , but i dont like any of the ones available in the bundles. Can i just keep the generic ones i see that are available or do i have to use the house deed in the bundle?

Follow up Q 2 : Why cant i use a taxe free lot in npc towns?

Thanks for enlighting me.

Cordelayne and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Probably not happening, but you can buy crowns of the obsidians in the add on store and use those to add days. It's not automated though, so you have to do this manually.

There are some for sale as well from the housing vendors. (they are usually located above the bank) A few are craftable as well. Also you can opt to keep the house when you claim a lot, just do not switch houses or it'll be gone until you unclaim and reclaim the lot.

Lot deeds from bundles are for player owned towns only.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

I agree that tax can be very burdensome and that the high cost of entry makes housing (even taxed) difficult for most casual players. If you choose not to purchase please check out my town - I've acquired numerous tax free lots of various sizes that I'm allowing avatars without a home to use exclusively. There are others who offer a similar service too. We want to give you a chance to try before you buy, and we hope you'll enjoy our towns and choose to settle the permanently. Link at the end of this post.
    As @Athanil mentioned, the housing merchant sells basic row homes for gold. If you like a plain look you may also be interested in crafting a row greenhouse home. It has the rustic look like the default row house but the support floor is all glass so you can choose to use to to grow crops without an 'indoors' penalty. The material cost is pretty steep but you can buy one form a player for around 30k gold (last I checked).
    There are tax free lots in two flavors (well, three actually): regular, POT and founder. Regular can be placed anywhere, and are often called this although the tooltip name will just say "tax-free lot deed". The POT version can only be placed in player owned towns but is a lot cheaper. Finally, the founder version is placable on water (there are no water rows homes though). The bundles only come with POT versions, the others were part of pledge bundles. They're only available on the secondary market in their tax-free form.

And now here is the shameless plug for my town: Knight's Watch... https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...house-still-available-in-knights-watch.81737/

Astor

4. Tamsen

Tamsen Avatar

Not all of us have an entertainment budget that allows for a monthly sub. I don't like the taxes either, but I can earn the price in IGG just by playing the game; it doesn't cost a dime in real money. If they instituted a monthly sub, a lot of people would be forced to stop playing, including me. That would be a great shame, because the people who play this game regularly tend to do so from a deep love of the game.

5. kozmoh

kozmoh Avatar

Ill check it out!

But do you mean that you give away tax free lots? or you lend them for a while?

6. kozmoh

kozmoh Avatar

I cant totally understand . So considering that , they could at least offer both alternatives. I just dont have the time or the desire to manage a budget for a game. I have more than enough to manage irl lol.

7. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

I retain ownership but I have the o9ts placed and they have a house on them. I'll add you as the sole 'tenant' which means that I won't have access to any of your items but I ultimately retain ownership of the house and the lot. The town has a mixture of row and village lots that are assigned for this purpose.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...house-still-available-in-knights-watch.81737/

8. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    I have a taxable row lot and I treat it as a kind of sub I buy crowns of the obsidians per month which works out to be a very cheap sub. Also you could buy those crowns from players. Its just a lazy part of me and it is easier to just buy them on the add on store.

Cordelayne, Rennik, kozmoh and 3 others like this.
  9. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    I do understand what you are saying but if say they introduce a monthly sub say for the prize of 5 crowns of the obsidians that would cover you for a month for a row lot. That is what? the prize of a pint of beer maybe. We have to understand that the guys who work hard to give us this entertainment have to live and to be paid

10. Crandall

Crandall Avatar

The Oracle grants you 500 gp a day if you get the right answer - that is one days tax on a row lot. You can pay the gp directly (which makes the tax 3500 gp for a week - or purchase a Coto for gp at about 2500 gp and use it for the tax, thus saving 1000 gp a week.
    Every month there is a Release mini-telethon that offers you special items and possible prizes for $5 - which is also what 5 Coto cost = 5 weeks of row lot tax.

11. Tamsen

Tamsen Avatar

This is why I very rarely post on game forums. I knew I'd be judged. <snip>

I had written a whole paragraph in my defense, but it would only have brought more judgement from people who don't know spit about me or how much money I already spend supporting this game, yet feel the right to gently reprimand me for putting my two cents into a public discussion, and to feel superior to me because they have a larger disposable income.

amaasing and Cassandra Corax like this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

To be fair, SOTA does have backers who fall into that category you mentioned above but they are in a distinctly small minority compared to other game communities I've been part of. The responses & discussions here can be heated over here but overall the threads are civilized and actually have content worth reading.

At any rate this thread isn't about you or me - it's about helping @kozmoh surmount his current obstacles and challenges. I hope you do stick around to contribute since I think your opinions & thoughts do matter.

hint: I also think the rents are too high, the new starter zones help somewhat due to extra gold from quests but ultimately the rents in backwater POTs or NPC towns should not be equal to the ones you pay in Central Brittany or Ardoris.

Cordelayne, Cassandra Corax and Nick like this.
  13. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Numa likes this.
  14. Curt

Curt Avatar

Visit the town 'hometown' that's near soltown it shows all available houses study the row houses and see which you like.

All row lots comes with a default house btw.

Numa likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they've had to split it up. some of the older ones (the pledge houses maybe?) have been moved to (i think) the tropical island template sample, accessible from the hometown docks. these houses are still worth seeing since players may be selling their extras.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  16. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I am too lazy to post a pic of "the rent is too damn high" guy but no one needs to own a lot in this game. Well unless you want to be a farmer... then you should get a lot. Nothing prevents anyone from doing anything else in the game. Lots are beneficial for storage and placing a vendor. Other than that, the only other costs there are would be a computer and internet. I promise not to get on my soapbox about performance in this thread. I too find rent off-putting but there are so many free alternatives that I would encourage Portalarium to make it easier for people to find each other.
    Hey @Alley Oop, what is that other town called? I never walk anywhere but can get lots of places if folks on my list are there. Hometown is not a metropolis? I haven't been there in many months so I'm out of the loop.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the templates linked from the hometown docks don't have town names, just the template names.

3devious likes this.
  18. Crandall

Crandall Avatar

Not trying to judge you, just offering one gamer's opinion.
    Gamer here = Retired disabled veteran living on fixed income.
    Do you want a place you can do deco, store items, and use as a base?
    I will provide that - no rental fee.

Numa and 3devious like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol, you know I couldn't resist...LISTEN! Did you hear it? Some child's stomach growled 'cause they were hungry. The rent, is TOO DAMN HIGH! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.