Not a big fan of the HEX system overhead map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamino

tamino Avatar

I have news for you: the Kickstarter began 3/2013. It's now almost 6/2014.

The promotion of the campaign and the preparations for it began long before that.

No exaggeration has taken place.

You're really grasping at straws.

2. tamino

tamino Avatar

Move along then. There's no way to substantiate anything you've said because it's false.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

The problem is promising what you know you can deliver. Richard is an honorable and trustworthy person, who wouldn't promise what he couldn't deliver. Chris Roberts likely wasn't being dishonest or deceiving anyone either, but that is because of the financial backing he received prior to even raising funds. Everything the team has done shows the integrity of their word to attempt to follow it and appease the community as best they can, even when the accidentally made contradictory promises. (The founders/royal founders debacle)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Even if you take their fund raising from their 0 starting posotion we are only 2 months into the 1 year. 1.5 years... im not sure how long a year is from your world but here its 12 months, 1.5 years is 18 months, we are at about 14 months. And yet you claim "No exaggeration has taken place."..... This is how I feel about every argument and "fact" you've stated in every one of your posts. well beyond what most would consider "honest".

Time Lord, Kaisa and Ravenclaw like this.
  5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Does this post have anything of value to add to the conversation? Or are you just trolling?

And that is as about as polite as I can be with a comment that basically boils down to, "agree with me, argue with me or shut up". Regardless of how you word it, it still seems rude.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  6. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Does this post have anything of value to add to the conversation? Or are you just trolling?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  8. tamino

tamino Avatar

I have never said anything like that. I've simply challenged people who come in and say derogatory comments to instead say something of value and to keep it to the discussion at hand instead of detracting from the discussion with negativity.

9. tamino

tamino Avatar

No exaggeration has taken place. In fact, the journey to here has been over 1.5 years depending on what you consider the start of the campaign for Shroud of the Avatar. I don't know about you, but I've been following since it was simply a letter from Lord British which was much longer than 1.5 years ago. You're being quite pedantic.

10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Well now that the conversation has devolved, let's nudge it back on track a little. Blink1123 had some good points about how it would be nice to travel from one hex to another without using the overhead map. I agree.

I just don't see it being realistic for many reasons, mainly due to the lack of about 30 million dollars to properly fund a project of this size. (See my earlier post quoting actual modern day game development projects).

There are some who feel they know how to run the business better than the developers and I say good for them. Prove your theory by creating a game of your own and make it the rousing success you claim this one should be if everyone would just follow your advice. I wish you all the luck and success in the world. But until the costs and potential losses are yours, I say we let the experienced owners and developers do what they think is best. Offer an opinion but don't tell other people that their opinions don't matter when they disagree, that is just rude and offers nothing of value.

As to the sense of exploration on the overhead map, there were a few things that was still to be added which hopefully will help add more natural transitions back and forth and create a better game play environment on the overland map. It may never be as immersive as a single world map but if done right, may provide an enjoyable alternative.

11. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

That is one example. I could make an entire tamino thread of comments that have strayed from the 'discussion at hand'. I quoted the original thread and gave my opinion, how about we get back on topic, what do you say?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. tamino

tamino Avatar

Nothing is wrong with the posts you've quoted. I stand by them 100%.

You're taking my posts out of context. They were responses to other people's derogatory and antagonizing posts.

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I believe the 10-20 million dollar amount mentioned by the devs was in regards to creating a seamless open world style game-space.

From the way Brink1123 worded their original post, they would be fine with each hex still being a distinct instance, simply with six separate exits that directly link to an entrance in the adjoining hex.

That could be done with some simple level constraints: Namely most maps would need six exits to allow the traversal. Some maps could have fewer if the adjacent hex were unpassable (such as the Mountain or Ocean hexes).

Now Lord_Darkmoon brought up an excellent point in one of the other threads, in that to reduce the monotony one would need to create a significantly larger variety of level maps.

Creating say a unique map for each hex would definitely cost a significant amount of cash (one would need to ramp up the level-builder department heavily in order to actually achieve any sort of reasonable release date).

But I suspect it could be done for far less than 10 to 20 million dollars. :)

Time Lord, Xaronzon and Ravenclaw like this.
  14. tamino

tamino Avatar

You've just said yourself what I've been saying all along and I agree with the above statement 100%.

I have never said other people's opinions don't matter when they disagree. I've been presenting my opinion and debating topics with people.

I do call out the people who aren't adding to the discussion and dragging it down whenever I see them and I have seen plenty of people roll into discussions posting nothing but attacks and derogatory comments. It seems to be a common occurrence around these forums.

15. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

NRaas - Great comment.

tamino - Still not on topic.

NRaas - I remember hearing, I think in the posted video earlier, that each instance is not limited in size and can be as large as the developers want them to be. That could make for some very large and very interesting areas to explore when the Devs have more time for content creation. :)

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  16. tamino

tamino Avatar

Agree but I think it's unnecessary and a bit limiting to require each zone to be a hex with 6 exits. EQ was built as a patchwork of zones with varying exits in places which made sense for the layout of the scene and this model worked very well and still maintained immersion.

Also, you've pointed out something I've yet to touch on but have been thinking every time someone tries to make the argument that single-scale will cost more than dual-scale. It's important not to confuse single-scale with seamless world. A single-scale world with separate scenes is less expensive than dual scale world with separate scenes by virtue of the fact that you don't have to create the separate layer of gameplay. However, when Chris Spears talked about single scale vs. dual scale, he was comparing single-scale seamless world to dual-scale with separate scenes. He did not, however, compare single-scale with separate scenes to dual-scale with separate scenes and herein lies all the confusion.

I think the true monotony comes from having a small variety of maps repeated. So no matter what, to reduce monotony, you need to spend money. The difference is in how you split it all up.

Joviex and Ravenclaw like this.
  17. tamino

tamino Avatar

Yeah, I addressed your post which was obviously referring to me. Remember this: I'm not the one who started that whole massive distraction in the first place.

18. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Well we won't see a unique map for every hex, but in one of the QAs they did say they are building a "library" of maps for all the different zone types. So while we will not see a unique map for every hex we will hopefully still see a decent amount of variety. Right now unfortunately though it seems only a few different scenes have been created so I think the amount of scenes repeating themselves is FAR worse then it will actually be in the finished game.

Being able to exit a hex from anywhere you hit the "border" of a adjacent hex would be pretty cool. Not sure if they have said that is possible or not though with what they are trying to do/their budget. Would be nice though if it can be done.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  19. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I think we will see scenes of varying sizes once this is all finished. Some will be pretty small but I would not be surprised to see some really big scenes as well.

Time Lord and Ravenclaw like this.
  20. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, definitely some sort of ocean-side map, and the missing swamp map at the very least, to round out the Hidden Vale. In addition to hopefully reiterating on the rather boring road maps that were added.

I fully expect the level-builders to be quite busy over the next nine months adding some additional flavor to the mix. :)

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.