Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Not enjoying "Tried to attack but missed"

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Kara Brae, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm trying to like the combat system, but I am struggling with every aspect. As a mage with cloth armor I spent 99% of my time running from mobs, so I started over as an axe-weilding warrior with plate. Voila, I can now kill wolves in North Valeway one at a time, though I miss a lot. If I venture into a more difficult area like North Ravenswood, I miss 99% of the time before I run away or die. I've tried increasing my distance and reducing it until I overlap the enemy, but the result seems to be the same - 99% misses, even when the enemy is standing right in front of me and doesn't dodge.

(btw the red numbers designating hits confuse me. I can't tell if the enemy has hit me or if I have hit the enemy, so I find myself looking at the scrolling chat window to see what happened.)

Although I managed to level my adventurer skill to level 5, it is really no fun and very frustrating. If the enemy is too high level for me, I would understand if I only hit it for one damage point, but to keep missing altogether when the animation would lead me to expect that missing is not an option is too unrealistic.

2. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

One thing that I just read was that camera direction affects if you are facing a mob not the actual direction your character is facing. Apparently it's a know bug. I think that was causing a lot of my frustration. I haven't tested it yet to be sure.

thoregundi likes this.
  3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I was/still am having a lot of trouble with misses as well... There was (is still) one Large Grizzly Bear that is giving me fits so I believe it also depends on the mob (the normal Grizzly Bear I kill very quickly without many misses)... even with the levels of pole arms that I've gained (60 in base skill) I still miss probably 3/4 of the time against the Large Grizzly Bear and die once before I finally kill him... early on it was much worse with 95% being misses and me having to resurrect 15 times before I could whittle him down and kill him.

I think the miss rate might have to be lowered some and maybe you just do less damage if you're "unskilled" but don't miss all of the time... the 95% miss rate would have been VERY discouraging if I was a new player even if this is a work-in-progress (which I understand that it is).

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I have finally been able to put some time into playing and really it is wonderful. I did not take is so bad having to die for the good of it all. About level 47 my bludgeon skill started reaping rewards. I went from not being able to kill a grizzly bear to being able to kill a grizzly bear in just a matter of a few levels of the bludgeon skill. So for any struggling just keep it up and you will reap the rewards. I love free attack for one thing, when I am using my bludgeon skills and others my focus is getting eaten up, but if I stop using them for a little and just free attack my focus starts coming back. I know things will be tweaked a lot. Chris said it probably will be awkward right now since it is a work in progress. I do like where we have gone so far. Im looking forward to what this release will show us and the developers in improving the system even more. I want to cheer **go Shrouds, go Shrouds** from the rooftop because it is so amazing the progress we are making. :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I'm quite happy with current state of combat system, but fighting a grey wolf in a zone and being able to hit him and get a timber wolf in another to do close to no damage is frustrating. The only reason i see to this is adventure level being considered when the maths for combats are done, so you hitting a creature that's more powerful than you is next to impossible.

I'd like it more if my chance on hit only depended on my attack skill % and not my "adventurer level". It feels redundant having both.

Albus, Moonshadow and Lord Soliwilos like this.
  6. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Quite so. I think the "adventurer level" shouldn't even be visible for players. @Chris

Albus, Hazard, Ember and 1 other person like this.
  7. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I really hope this is a bug. camera angle ≠ direction of attack.

Widsith [MGT] likes this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i'm enjoying the added diffuclty personally, combat feels more like combat, i've actually had to use combat tactics this release ..... +1

Lord Soliwilos and Ember like this.
  9. Ember

Ember Avatar

I agree with this.
    And I totally agree with this!

And I'd like to add that I do enjoy the changes SO much! Combat is a bit frustrating, but we've only just this release switched to use base. Once the devs get things balanced out I can see how much more rewarding this system is going to feel!

Albus, Lord Soliwilos and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Well I LOVE it that you have to actually fight certain things and cannot just run out into the wilds and take on an Elder Wolf, L O V E I T.

And yes you have to FACE your target (they need to fix it with spells asap), another GREAT thing, NOT camera angle (but their needs to be a snap to front button)

I wish very much that they started us out with this so players were not given the ability to just crank our elder wolves.

and yes magery and archery are still VERY difficult to flush out

Lord Soliwilos and Ember like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Mages are not fun atm.........you cant do any damage with them.

It will get better im sure.

12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Combat hit chance didn't change at all for PVE this release with one exception. Previously we gave you a flat 90% hit chance. Now it is 50+ half your skill in the weapon. So at 80 skill you will be exactly where you were last release (50+ 80/2=90).

The only way that level factors in at all is if the creature you're fighting is more than 10 levels higher than you then you lose 1% hit chance per level beyond 10. Very few creatures are above level 40. The exceptions obviously being guys like Riei, liches, and trolls.

For players, the hit chance is the same but with R21 there are now active use defensive skills that can make you not hit. I say not hit instead of miss because those will give a message for parry, block, or dodge instead of just saying miss. Parry and block also don't stop all damage.

Albus, Moonshadow, Doom Angel and 3 others like this.
  13. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

We asked for melee love and got some which is great but...still needs some tweaks. I agree that something is still off about the range and there is still no adequate range indication for melee. The amount of time I spend chasing after ranged enemies and swinging at the air is obnoxious. Most of the time I just let them go because it's not even worth chasing after NON-stop runners.

Having to Tab to target, then either double-click or press T to initiate auto-attack is also making things more tedious than they should be. 1. Double-clicking is a pain because of the camera angle...the avatar is always in the way. When you're fighting small creatures this method is awful. 2. Using T instead feels unnatural, it feels like an extra unnecessary step and frequently will just stop I guess when out of range, so then you have to start the process over again. It is way too tedious and T feels like an unnatural reach from where my keyboard hand usually rests. in the WASD corner. Targeting an enemy and being in range should be enough imo.

Yeah...this has really been bugging me. Here's a thread I started about it a few days ago which is interesting now because those that are color-blind are chiming in with their feedback.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Unfortunately Using free attack as an archer still eats my arrows for crappy dmg .... and I can't afford to loose any arrow for ALL the reason peeps have posted ..... would be nice if it did not use my arrows :(

docdoom77 and Duke Andaluz like this.
  15. Ember

Ember Avatar

Those 'not hits' appear above the target in scrolling combat text as 'Miss' as well as in the Combat log as "(Name) tried to attack (Target) and missed.". Will there be an update in the scrolling combat text and/or Combat Logs to say 'Parried', 'Blocked', or 'Dodged'?

Soulicide likes this.
  16. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You mean the perry/dodge text that already appear around your toon when you successfully perry/dodge or is it something else?

17. Ember

Ember Avatar

Oh no, I meant the scrolling text that appears above the target.

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This was my experience too. No offense meant to the team, but try out some nicely-done archery games (like LOTRO) and see what makes them fun. SOTA's archery is still missing a significant fun factor, even if the arrows were free.

Zassik Dreadmort likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think they already do say parry and dodge. Its just a very rare occurance to actually do either in pve

4EverLost likes this.
  20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

So for new players... who have 0-20 skill and need to kill things to get experience and need experience to get skill point and need skill points to hit things... oh wait... I see where there might be an issue with just saying that I don't think I need to keep going ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.