Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Not enjoying "Tried to attack but missed"

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Kara Brae, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

sounds like we need to take kobolds as hostage and beat the crab out of them after roping them on a tree or rock XD

But on the other hand if we would still miss we would break our hands... wich would give us the opportunity to heal our selfs.

Crazy times we life in^^

Violation likes this.
  2. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I must say things improved after getting some glyphs. I still miss, but now i feel like fully charged auto attack is worth an arrow. Both free attack and aimed shot improved. Just fought a Ruffian and brought him down after 12 attacks; a discharge, a disabling shot, a piercing breeze (aimed shot + gust combo), a shock arrow (aimed shot + discharge combo), 4 misses and the rest are fully charged (or almost fully charged) free attacks, hitting for 30-20 damage, with a critical hit for 43. Crafting my own arrows is also reducing the impact on my economy (it's better to scrap the looted weapons and buy arrows with the ingots you can craft, than selling them to buy arrows).

Chatele likes this.
  3. Albus

Albus Avatar

I think part of the issue is people not having much idea if they are fighting a higher level foe that they will "miss miss miss" against, so they cannot easily tell why they are missing - am I out of range? Are my skills to low? Missing due to the level disparity (which happens only when below lvl 40 if I read things rightly) is probably not something people are expecting. It would probably be cleaner if "level" were removed from the equation entirely, since we have skill levels and attack rating independent of adventurer level? Not sure why we still need to protect monsters further causing extra misses for lower level characters, but I may be missing something (oops any pun was accidental there...).

4. Sir Osis O`Liver

Sir Osis O`Liver Avatar

I agree with @Albus. Either remove the invisible "Adventurer level" or make it obvious to the player they are in over their head.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

With all this "missing" against targets that clearly have no means or intent to dodge, and in some cases being literally fixed to the ground, I'm starting to wonder if Cliff racers will be making an appearance in the next release...

It seems like this should be simple, you have active and passive defenses. Active defenses are skills like Parry, Dodge and Block. You should activate these using focus and they last for some period of time. Each triggers a check on an attack, and if your active defense wins, the attack is negated and an appropriate message is displayed. To prevent defense cheese, you can only have one active at a time (maybe a grandmaster level skill would allow two at a slight penalty). Passive defenses are from armor and innate skills. Assuming any active skill fails, the attack would then check against armor for penetration (as it seems to do now) and if the attack penetrates, reduce the damage by some factor or amount.

Most of this seems to be in place, which is why I am confused as to why there is a need to drag a leveling system into it. Need some monsters to be more beefy? Add HP. Want the monster to just shrug off attacks? Add passive defenses. Want to retain some illusion of reality by having human enemies by a threat without making them armored in invisible gear that the player can't loot or having enough hitpoints to soak a nuke? Add active defenses.

6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Thats alot of arrows to take down I mob .... 12 attacks lol ouch Geesh if it took my 12 shots to take out a foe in real life, I'd be dead for sure .....

docdoom77 and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I've enjoyed having to figure out whether I'm in over my head, i have purposely not looked at my adventurer level since starting over.

KuBaTRiZeS and Spoon like this.
  8. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yeah, compared with real life its a lot... but they're less than fifty :p It's one of the downsides of any DPS system, one shot doesn't usually mean one kill (pretty sure i won't stand more than one hit of those two handed axes... yet in game i do!)

As i raise my skill rank in ranged i see less missing and damage increases, hence less hits needed, killed a grey wolf in 5 arrows all hits. Since Chris said that initally levels doesn't matter, it seems this failure galore is just the subjective evaluation of a fixed chance on hit (which at start is close to 50%, but we value more failures than successes). I still don't like failing that much at low levels, is pretty discouraging.

9. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I heard tell of a Samurai who once took a couple dozen arrows before wiping out like some ridiculous amount of archers, like 100 or so , of coarse once engaged by another samurai he was rather weakened and lost his head.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Night Fury

Night Fury Avatar

@Chris With bludgeon base @ 33 and ADV level 1 and knockdown @27 the 1 out 14 hit success rate was rather confusing. Then I read your post. So I'll assume the large grizzly was well above my level and the math came into play here. Oh wait, but the knockdown animation played when I missed the bear. Sorry, back to confused.

Thanks for the crazy work hours guys.

NF

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Rend's effects kick in on a miss as well. I'd assume at most skills that have a secondary effect aren't considering if the attack lands or not.

12. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That's true, Disabling shot always slows the target without taking in consideration if the attack missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.