Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Not everyone can create their own Adventure. A suggestion.

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by Aartemis, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

So I have had many people who have tried Shroud and liked the game, but felt very put off by its lack of clear direction. Some players, like me, have no trouble finding their own adventure each day, but there are many who want the game to help them decide direction.

Questing is certainly a way to do this, but lets face it, the current system seems to be very meticulous and hand crafted with a one at a time creation method. That just is not going to fly in the short term as there is tons of work backlogged I am sure.

How about a "bounty board" for lack of a better term. Using the current in game assets, build a Bulletin Board which spawns "tickets/posts" for things to kill. The Tickets would be Tier Based and color coded for difficulty. The Avatar takes the note and the quest is assigned in the journal. Another note spawns on the board in time.

In Phase 1 the bounty can be completed as soon as the last mob is killed and automatically rewarded. It could also be resolved via a drop box where you place the note along with the bounty item requested ... Red Sashes, Wolf Teeth, Bear Fur, etc. Resolution could come via in game mail or at the point of turn in.

Phase 2 could have the player seeking out the NPC who created the bounty for turn in, or built into the current quest system using a Dynamic Database using any NPC and eliminating the Boards completely.

In the short term, this would create a plethora of much needed short tasks that could be done in quick order and help supplement the questing and story lines. Boards could be placed in all the NPC towns. One set of development time, many, many bounty quests created.

2. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

This probably doesn't need to be much. Once a player gets guided into combat situations, they should naturally realise they need to start getting their favoured skills raised, and then proceeding with the plot (or crafting or whatever) comes from that.

3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Well I think that is the point I'm trying to make, Sandbox Life is great for some, but others need/like a Structured path to that daily routine. The Story Quests are great for what they are, but for the daily activities of grinding up skills, not everyone "naturally" feels comfortable making the choices of where to go adventure on their own. The structure of daily activities and "bounty board" could bring that structure to Shroud for those that like this method of play preference. I mean I know 3 people right now that would be playing Shroud if it had more of a daily task structure to help find something to do. I know you can't please everyone but it seems like a low development mini-game system that could yield a large return in player retention.

Fei Akhart likes this.
  4. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I know it'd be a lot of work, but couldn't players host these quests on their own right now with the help of a Bulletin Board, Vendor, land and some advertising? @Bayard ever thought of anything like this for the welcome center? Maybe to gather 50 hides, and your vendor would pay slightly more gold than an NPC merchant? I know it could get exploited, but if it's not worth the exploit and was made known that these were beginner type quests, it could work. Just thinking aloud since we're probably not going to see a system like this in-game before launch. :)

5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I mean, yes it totally could. In fact you could almost say that a Fill Order is a cheap mans version of the same thing... This person is paying "x" gold for 100 hides... There it is, already in game...

Getting people to use fill orders is not easy, its so hidden and certainly does not jump out as how powerful this tool can be to a young new adventurer. And it really is.

Vendor Heat Maps, Unique Clothing and other Visual Identifiers to help players recognize at a glance the potential would go a long way towards boosting a player driven version of this.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  6. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Yes indeed and is already happening in the OWC!

The Welcome Table is easily visible as you zone in and has a vendor that says, "I buy resources" with buy orders for cotton, woods, tin, etc.. Sales show that new folks are finding and using the service so raising the buy prices would have the effect of a providing several worthwhile 'fetch' quests. I'm not concerned about losing money on the orders since it's helping players and that's why the OWC was built! I'm also not worried about someone exploiting since higher level players have much more lucrative ways to gain their coin.

Great idea and I'll raise the OWC buy prices to get started.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.