Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Not going to stop asking for english labels

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by mike11, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I really think we should have a english/runic toggle for those who dont want to look at the runic mess of a font.
    Its fine fine for magic and stuff but I need english on my gui pls.
    Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Fatty, Arianna, Svahn and 9 others like this.
  2. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Agreed - I can understand the desire for an immersive world with its own fonts and all that... but having it on a basic feature like the overland map makes the game much less accessible. Trying to coordinate where on the map we're going with my girlfriend who is in the same room as me has been annoying, let alone trying to coordinate through the internet once the map gets bigger. This is what it's like now:
    "Meet me at Kingsport"
    "Huh? What's that?"
    *Walk over, point to the name on the map*
    "Oh, I've been thinking of that as Choosefart"

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It seems all of the mouseover text labels are in English (the door from the Clink to Owl's Head says "To Owlshead" for example), so I would assume similar items will be added to the overland map at some point. I like the actual ribbons above the towns being in runic; it definitely adds to the feel of the world.

The same runic will be on the map you receive (physical or digital), so learning runic is the best way to navigate.

smack likes this.
  4. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

Personally I like the runik alphabet. However, a lot of online gamers (particularly casual gamers) don't want to have to learn another language (even a fictional one) to play a game. Is why many awesome Korean games stay Korean. Believe me, if a couple of games I know of had English language modules, I'd be throwing money at them, too!

Either provide a mouseover text for all runik letter, or give the player the ability to toggle between runic & English (and perhaps by expansions adding other languages as necessary) especially since it is the "common language" of the land.

Now, it would be _really_ cool if we had the ability to insert our own personal alphabets (particularly for mages) that cannot be instantly translated - perhaps a skill or language that a mage can teach to an apprentice (as founders can teach emotes to others). Yeah, I'd make a mage for that! :) Similar to the heraldry feature, but to submit & add our own character set. Hmmm......

*jumps to dev+ forum for a bit*

mike11 likes this.
  5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I like the runic, it's the same in French, Spanish, Japanese. No need to change anything, it's the written language of the land.

I do however like the idea of mouse over to change to earth language.

6. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Amen to that!

mike11 likes this.
  7. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

throwing in my vote for some english labels as well.

I do like the runic stuff, i'd be happy if the english was even just on mouseover, but it needs to be there somewhere.

Doppelganger likes this.
  8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Avatar

Another vote here for English language; I like the toggle on-off idea. Both preferences could then be satisfied.

Mata likes this.
  9. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Yes for toggle.
    Please add an option to choose between runic and normal languages.

Mata likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Popups on the towns would be fine; its no more than you get while walking around in town. I don't think you should be able to switch out the runic characters. For one, its there for aesthetic reasons so there is no reason to change it. For another, its more work for QA, localization, etc. for no real payoff. I didn't see them releasing an English version of the Ultima VII Map...

[​IMG]

Alexander likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Now that the overland map is realistic, should we even have labels for cities? Or should it be assumed to be a zoomed out landscape rather than "map"?

If we do, I think it would be better to show the coat of arms rather than have a text label anyway. Ie, like on Conrad Gyger maps,

[​IMG]

selbie likes this.
  12. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

We should keep runic.

Translating runic (and the study of language) are treasured aspects that make Lord Britishs world unique from others.

I implore those averse to learning runic to try it. The difficulty in decoding drops sharply once you notice a few of the letters are similarly shaped to modern English equivalents.

The bypassing of such challenges via toggles etc. would leave the world bland and nondescript from its generic counterparts hence redundant. More crucially, it would deduct from your rewards any sense of accomplishment and gratification.​

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Nobody has to learn any languages.

What's next ? Quest labels ? Exclamation marks over NPCs heads ? Not reading any lines of dialogue so as to quickly get the quest log done ?

Tsk Tsk :)

Alexander likes this.
  14. Wolfshead

Wolfshead Avatar

Why not have a tooltip that explains what the runes say? Very simple solution and works great for localization (different languages).

If the language is in runes then why not have players and NPC's speaking in runes as well? Where's the consistency?

15. selbie

selbie Avatar

I tend to think of runic in terms of how Latin is here, rarely used, but with strong cultural roots. Keep it present in the game for a challenge, but it certainly won't dominate.

16. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Runic is the original but the original had a translator in the books with the game, All we need is a in game translator we can pop up.

Alexander likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Towns names seem like a good "common" use of English. I previously support full runic, but I'm now seeing that the value of that is defeated by the annoyance of constantly trying to remember what the runic letters mean. I'd be in favor of a mouse over option for COMMON interactions like Town Names, and the "for sale" signs. But then make the Runic permanent with no mouse over for uncommon things like quest clues, Easter eggs, or parts of the lore.

I still like the idea of having to translate from runic, but I might also like it if once you've successfully translated it, the game remembers that (just like NPC's learning your name) and it unlocks the English mouse over for future use.

mike11 likes this.
  18. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Names on maps and building signs and road signs are examples of big irritations for x amount of people if they are only presented in runic.
    There should be an option of at a minimum mouseover popup.
    I am quite sure the devs will see the benefits of adding that.

19. herradam

herradam Avatar

I'm not sure why anyone should be against a toggle. If I choose not to have runic characters in my game play experience then I'm not sure how that affects you.

mike11 likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

What if I don't want easy mode ? A toggle I am fine with.

Alexander likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.