Novel by Tracey Hickman

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackghost, Mar 5, 2019.

1. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

Those comments you quoted are, in my opinion, all fairly mild snark all things considered. I find it troublesome that posters are bascially recommended to walk on eggshells just to get answers to a completely reasonable question - or risk the post being locked.

Bom, Stevvcash, Amelli and 1 other person like this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The issue here is: what ever people are trying to tell here, you don't get blocked for asking what's up with the novel. That just doesn't happen. Either you did a really serious shitpost or it was the final shitpost in a long list of shiposts.

Cear Dragon likes this.
  3. Ulrich Alpenglow

Ulrich Alpenglow Avatar

I think we need to not kid ourselves, at least I am going to stop kidding myself. A post was made about stand up corners not being posted for a whole 9 days and it got a dev response within two hours.

If they can step in and respond to a post about a nice, but pretty inconsequential thing like stand up notes, but not touch any of the various book threads (where the devs get tagged many times), we kind of know the answer. The books aren’t printed, aren’t being close to printed, and may never come. Sucks to just be ignored though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Bom, Stevvcash, Amelli and 2 others like this.
  4. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

While my original answer may have been a bit snarky the reality of what I am thinking is even worse. Simply put, I think that they don't have the money to honor this pledge reward.

The printed novel started at patron level, so as a rough guess they may have something like 4000 books to produce and ship. Given they have already shipped most boxes, this could be a cost in the region of $50,000 just to inhouse produce and ship? I'm just guessing numbers here, btw, so take all these numbers with a grain of salt. With all the staff layoffs and the (temporary?) transition to officeless work I just don't see Portalarium as having this cash lying around atm.

Bom, Amelli, Asari and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Everybody is free to voice concerns, especially as topics like the book (remember all the explanations given for the delay?) - otherwise I think your advise from mom would apply to your statement as well

6. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Well. I also miss the printed books (although I would also skip them for some of my entitled accounts in change for some ingame stuff), one citizen pledge box and the COTO reward for one month, which people, who translated the game in cooperation with Travian, should have gotten around September last year.
    Also an NPC for one of my pledges, which was confirmed by Lum for Estgard back in March 2017, is still nowhere to be found (unless he hides well). Or did anyone see a guard named Maximilian there?

The overall behavior as I feel it is not a really good base for a trustful relationship.

*Salute*
    Olahorand
    The Rebel Duke

Bom and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Trady, you actually do far more harm always white knighting. People with very valid concerns and questions tend to get even more disgruntled when they receive a condescending and/or patronizing response from community members such as yourself.

Your type of invalidating response very likely might be what makes them leave the game permanently. The last thing SOTA needs is for more of the community to leave.

Instead of rabidly defending everything you deem negative, how about you ignore some threads when people are posting very valid and constructive feedback. Rather than helping the community, responses such as yours cause a great deal of harm to both the game and the community.

My mother used to say, "You talk too much, shut the hell up and go to your room!"

Arianna, Bom, disorder and 15 others like this.
  8. Ulrich Alpenglow

Ulrich Alpenglow Avatar

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but yes, maybe don't wade into nearly every thread trying to invalidate legitimate concerns. Not a good look.

Back on topic, Chris gave some kind of update on his stream today when a question was posed about the books, though more of a non-answer update -

"Starr had something lined up with that, but again the same problems we're having even me finding people who know they need boxes and are supposed to get boxes, uh, we have the same issues with that. But the last I heard the plan was once we get all that stuff settled out, that'll be the last thing that get sent out. But right now it's obvious, I don't even have a good list of addresses..."

If anyone can parse what in the world that means, I am all ears. Does it being a shipping problem mean the books are printed and signed already? Because that would be actual good news.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Bom, Asari, Jens_T and 5 others like this.
  9. Ulrich Alpenglow

Ulrich Alpenglow Avatar

So this issue isn’t legitimate- is that your position?

It’s cool you love the game and support it- no problem there. But your fairly constant Pooh poohing of issues as nothing but trolling is what people above are getting at. It is very disrespectful that you lump anyone who raises a voice as sitting around complaining all day. Not all of us are the reddit “trolls” you seem to have a crusade against.

I see you made an edit - “You guys ignore me, I’ll ignore you, problem solved”.

That would totally take care of it, but means you will have to try and not jump into any perceived comment you deem as doomsaying, even when it isn’t. Good luck, I predict a day before reverting to the posting history I see. Again, we aren’t all here to just crap on the game and say it is ending, we just want things to work better.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Bom, Amelli, Cyin and 6 others like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

Patently FALSE, and sheer lies by someone who is by far the most duplicitous individual I have ever had the unfortunate circumstance of interfacing within this community!

I absolutely have posted on Reddit, I will not deny that, BUT NOT ONCE have I called the devs names or made fun of ANY of them. I have voiced my displeasure and disappointment with the development of the game but never have I done a single thing you are espousing.

It is exactly toxic people like you that contributed to me leaving the game. Anyone who wants to know the truth can look at my Reddit posts and discern the veracity of my statements.

Arianna, Bom, Hornpipe and 14 others like this.
  11. Ulrich Alpenglow

Ulrich Alpenglow Avatar

@Cordelayne, I don’t anyone needs to look beyond your posts here and your reputation in game to know the truth. While you and I may no longer play the game, and really never met in game often, you were a champion of this world. Somewhere my husband’s house in Serpent’s still has your picture on the wall.

Bom, Amelli, Asari and 4 others like this.
  12. Ulrich Alpenglow

Ulrich Alpenglow Avatar

I am no one important, and my husband would say the same about his activities for this game. But he ran countless events that supported this game directly by giving away rather substantial prizes during in game events to players of this game, while also raising similar amounts for charity. He did it to cheer this game to others, all while helping Port financially. Go search Rauchbier Platz in this forum and you will get a sense of what he gave to this game and community. The fact that he doesn’t anymore I guess makes us irrelevant, but I still can ask for the book signed by Tracey that I would like with our pledges to close out this chapter. As a fan of Tracey I should be able to get that.

I know Cordelayne through his history with this wonderful community and our guild, even if he doesn’t know me, way beyond a mere picture.

Blackghost, Bom, Amelli and 4 others like this.
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

Of course I know you silly. Who could ever forget all the raffles, games, prizes and parties you and your crazy husband used to put together! :)

14. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

Asari and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Asari

Asari Avatar

This is SO true and so frustrating.

But didn't they just recently say that they have no money problems and now actually have about 10,000.- per month for marketing?
    I think good marketing would be to actually send all the pledge rewards they promised to people who made their project and their jobs possible. Just a thought.

wow...

Bom, Duke Olahorand, MrBlight and 3 others like this.
  16. Asari

Asari Avatar

Where did Lord Trady of Blix and his posts go?

Bom and MrBlight like this.
  17. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

All posts deleted and username changed. Lord Trady is now "Floors"

Bom, Verit, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  18. Asari

Asari Avatar

thanks for the info. That's quite weird.

Bom likes this.
  19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Hard to understand why some people do that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  20. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

I have been waiting 8 years for a GoT book, maybe this is the new normal.

MIdnightvalkyrie likes this.