Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Novia overworld - POT 'smoke' now has no meaning due to devotional light

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Raven Swiftbow, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

IMHO, by adding the "spotlights" from the devotionals, all of the ambiance that we had before with the smoke rising out of the POTs depending on how many people were in the POT is lost.

Very sad. :(

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree completely, @Raven Swiftbow
    I have enjoyed the chimney smoke from towns on the overworld.
    Dear Port, please tone down the circus spotlights that you've added to the devotionals.
    I understand and appreciate the concept of making them visible on the overworld, but would prefer that they were less "obtrusive".
    There must be a compromise there somewhere, no ?

3. Selene

Selene Avatar

I agree, the beam of light looks too much like the smoke and I find it hard to distinguish between the two.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

The beam of light in SotA reminds me of Molyneux's games such as Black & White 2 and Godus.
    The beam of light should NOT be altered nor removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

what beam of light!? :D I swear I have not even noticed... beam or light or smoke... guess I'm too busy running from point A to B... now I have to check.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hm...

From a player's perspective, I'm not sure it there's a point to making them visible, unless you can tell them apart. A player just passing by on the map doesn't just want to go to a devotional, but a specific devotional. Yet it really wouldn't be that easy to distinguish them since you can have 8 in the same town. It made more sense to me when we were talking about the Titan statues, because you could easily distinguish the three titan statues from one another. The Titan statues a town has should really display on the OW map, though, in any case.

From a story perspective it makes some sense, though. If the idea is that Cabalists are drawn to them... then it makes sense to make it visible.

Or I guess maybe players could distinguish from them whether or not they want to live there, in a POT that can be sieged.

I would say that the glow even within the scene makes me less likely to place one myself.

I think in general the POT representations could use a lot of improvement, though, and fleshing out. So they look larger the more lots there are. So you can see things like Titan statues and moon towers (are they serving a purpose?) So you can see mini-representations of major homes like airships and castles. So templates with a built in wall will show the wall (I'm not sure you can represent accurately player built walls). So this is maybe a bit of a side discussion, but I'm thinking that the better the POT representations, the easier it will be to distinguish the effect of a home's smoke and the devotional glow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.