NPC crafting merchant (e.g. the one in Castle Atos)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ConjurerDragon, Nov 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

NPC Merchants have a certain number of articles available.

The crafting merchant in Castle Atos e.g. has 6000 chunks of coal to sell.

When I buy 100 he has only 5900 left. Or so it seem, as when close the deal andI talk right again to him he has 6000 again.

What is the sense of having a limit if that limit is not limiting? Well, o.k. it does limit that you can buy only 6000 coal *in one purchase* - but then you can buy the same 6000 in the next minute again, so...

Why not make it a daily limit instead so that it actually means something? It´s not gamebreaking, as the players are supposed over time to buy more and more of their stuff from other players vendors.

For a comparison: In the german single-player RPG series "Das schwarze Auge" (no, do not translate that literally, it became "Realms of Arkania" in english) there was a city under siege - and there the merchants in the city actually had only a limited supply of goods with only a trickle of new goods arriving and the players party being paid handsomely for risking their lifes as blockade runners running arms and armour and even food through the ongoing siege...

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Because it's just a gold sink for crafting. Players can't gather enough fuel to be able to sell it to other players. So the devs would have to add all fuel nodes to the game, and then make a reason why players would gather those instead of other materials. So while you're suggestion seems simple, it actually would be very game breaking for me, because I wouldn't be able to purchase enough fuel to craft anymore.

Lained likes this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I can understand that reasoning - however then any limit shown (e.g. having 6000 coal to sell) is meaningless and a waste to display if the NPC merchant can sell those 6000 again and again without pause.

Adam Crow likes this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I see your point, but I think the limits are there so we don't purchase 500000 coal on accident. So they do serve a small purpose.

Anpu likes this.
  5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Now I want SO MUCH to "accidentally" buy 500000 coal. Sadly my purse is still too light to afford that. So I´m already limited. And if you would accidentally purchase 500000 coal beause of a much higher gold account (I mean first moving the amount over and then confirming is already a stop-gap to prevent accidents) then we would need a weight for gold so that noone could carry around so much...

Have I mentioned how in the old game Pool of Radiance (the first one) I had to leave thousands of copper pieces lying in the hoard because the whole party of 6 lacked the strength to carry it back to town to change it to a higher value / weight currency like Electrum or Gold? :D

Adam Crow likes this.
  6. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

There actually is a mechanic in game where the price goes up the more a specific vendor sells in a short amount of time. It pretty much only comes up when a new recipe comes out that is only sold at one or two vendors- if you buy later in the afternoon of that first day you would likely be paying a premium. So presumably if you buy a vendor out of coal enough times then he will also start charging more. Not sure how many times that would take though since I think that is calibrated for a larger player pool than we currently have. I haven't seen prices rise on fuels in years.

Ravalox, Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Google says it means The Black Eye. :D not Realms of Arkania

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Well, the german name IS "Das schwarze Auge" and uses the symbol of a "schwarzes Auge"
    [​IMG]
    And because someone sensible noticed that the literal translation into "The Black Eye" has a completely different meaning in english it was named "Realms of Arkania"...

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

You said

So I did. :D so it is all on you for making me look it up. :)

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.