Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPCs & last names

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I just noticed this shortly after Lum mentioned it on the forum. NPCs address you with your full name when they know it.. but that's really awkward is it not? You normally address someone by first name or honorific & last name. You never address someone directly with their full name unless you're their parent and they're in big trouble.

2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

So how you do determine the correct form of address for "Lord British"?

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Is Lord British his actual name? Then his first name is Lord according to the game.

We have titles. If I made my name Baron Baron Drocis Fondorlatos then I would rightfully be called Baron by the game.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

El Breezy.

Doom Angel likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Lord British being an obvious exception BUT.. Lord is a title.. not a name.. A simple check on the name to see if it includes a title used in New Britannia.. essentially any pledge title but Lord would be reltively common would it not? A Lord is addressed either as "my lord" or "Lord <name>".. so Hello Lord British is perfectly fine.. but from the NPC's perspective it would be "Hello <title> <name>".

Basically parse out the title and whatever is left is the name. If the title exists use formal address that includes the title. If it doesn't, informal address with just the first name works fine. Though in Lord British's case he's not even using a first name.. not that it matters in his case though.

NPCs were supposed to eventually be smart enough to respond to whatever title a player was using anyway right? So would that not include different forms of formal address based on title?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

May I present to you, your Excellency, Lord Cantabrigian British.
    May I present to you, your Excellency, Lord British.
    Presenting, Lord British

You know, things get lost over time. I think that titles and whatnot aren't something NPCs should know because they haven't been taught them. I think we should be allowed to tell them our titles as names without penalty to virtue though... so I should be able to say "Title XYZ" (any title I posses) (last name not revealed yet ;)) and have them accept that as an honest answer... is that currently allowed?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.