Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPE You might consider making Kyle a little easier to find

Discussion in 'Release 40 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's the first quest in Aerie, you want players to be happy, not to be running around lost.

Right now there are two blacksmiths who give very little information to the player. They will naturally be the people she goes and talks to, as she was sent to find a blacksmith and talk about the dagger.

For both of them, clicking the one relevant word, [Bonesteel], does nothing.

To get an indication that there is a 3rd person that runs an Ironworks in the town (not a mention of being a smith, but the name of the business, so player may totally miss this reference) she needs

• Talk to Henry Steel
      • Click the [Steel] keyword
        • Click [best]
          • Click [Kyle]
            • Realize that in the sentence talking about [Aerie] Steelworks, Steelworks is the important part, not the blue highlighted keyword.

Ways the player could get frustrated because of running around with this quest:
    1. Going to the other blacksmith, the one on the right, and not finding anything about Kyle, and thinking this is the only blacksmith in town
    2. Going to Henry and clicking [Bonesteel], leaving because Henry doesn't know anything about it
    3. Not making the mental jump to steel being important
    4. Not wanting to keep listening to Henry talk about being the best
    5. At [Kyle] choosing [back down], and not getting back to Kyle (I believe this is the least dangerous, at this point I bet your metrics show a spike in completion)
    6. Getting distracted by [Aerie], the bright blue causing Steelworks to disappear in the background
    Any of these points the player could fall off the quest for a period of time. I realize that we want people who can think and to not hold their hands, but this is the very first quest. NPE?

I suggest putting in keywords asking about [blacksmiths] and making [Ironworks] a keyword. This would be more in line with "asking around" instead of just following Henry's train of consciousness and hoping it ultimately reveals a clue.

I suggest being able to get information out of the blacksmith to the right as well.

I suggest somehow making it seem like the player is dragging the information out of them. This would still be done with relevant keywords, like [blacksmith], [there's no other blacksmiths are you serious?], [who do i talk to then], [if I find out there are more blacksmiths that you aren't telling me about I'm coming back there and shoving my boot up your ass]

If you are trying to make a point of Aerie being dishonest or closed and you do it wrong, the new players are going to miss the point that everyone is a jerk in Aerie, and instead think you have poorly designed quests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.