Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Numerous dead npc's in Owl's head gives a very poor impression

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Sirius Sternwarte, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Towns need infirmaries :)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

People behaving like idiots, players jumping around all the time, players naming themselves 11roxxor!?& are some of the reasons I prefer single player games.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, its no big deal; everyone knows this is a test period. I think people are commenting on how it may be a problem for the release game.

Personally, as far as home decoration is concerned, I would let people put junk outside their home to their hearts content, but also make things subject to be stolen by passing thieves and being damaged by weather :) Make them deal with the problems of the real world. Course, supposedly unique items like the Throne of Bone is another issue.

Killing NPCs is another matter where you have to decide between player restrictions and realistic consequences in the game world. Guards will probably be a big part of this, if they don't choose to restrict player actions.

4. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

At least during testing periods, they should be invincible or have quicker respawn times. I waited for Handac to respawn for quite a long time before I got bored and left. It would have been nice to be able to buy wax and do some textile crafting.

5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Well, then, killing all the NPC's in multi-player has been proven to break the game for everyone. You can't purchase crafting materials from Handac, and you can't complete quests. Next.

I was bit by a bug that got rid of my inventory-- including my backpack. I tried to make one in mult-player, but couldn't because Handac was dead. So, I went to single-player to do it.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I wasn't condoning the killing of NPC's for our game, I was only commenting on positives for testing purposes. I know what you mean about NPC's , it was happening to me also. I shared your pain. I'm sure all that will be addressed when we are in-game.;) Mostly the thread is on the abilities for players to decorate their houses as the want, which I do believe they definitely should be able to. Freedom /free to be/something for everyone is what I want in this game. For those who want to say that is driving them away or into offline or single online they probably would/should go there anyway. Not everyone is a social butterfly. I have my moments also.:)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I can't say I agree with you. Freedom to do whatever you want brings out the worst in people. There should be freedom to do a lot of things, just not everything.

Phredicon, Time Lord, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  8. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

It's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of behavioral issues, which is why a solid single player game is still ideal. That's what the original ultimas were...memorable npc's and companions, towns with real identity, not worrying about clothesless ridiculously named characters running aroung killing npc's. Kind of a big drawback to multiplayer online gaming.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I agree that for the purposes of testing everything is free game and should be pushed to the breaking point. I was however alluding to the frequency of idiot behaviour later into the weekend. It might be a timezone issue but more likely it's a combination of boredom and/or frustration and a game world that is in an imminent state of server wipe. I don't entirely agree with RG's philosophy of one character where you play yourself. I see a game as an escape - sometimes I need order and sometimes I need chaos. i want players to have the freedom to behave in the manner they choose as long as the players they affect have the freedom to react. I'd happily have my character spend the night in the clink for brawling if I had taken the opportunity to show a town griefer the back of my hand so to speak.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

But of course Rune you are correct I do believe in freedom to create can be so different for others. I was not clear in my free to be part. So here is some clarification. Ok FREE to explore, FREE to drop things, FREE to decorate your house as you like, FREE to have your character look as you like, FREE to enjoy the game to the fullest...... NOT FREE to disrespect others (or unless consented roleplay),NOT FREE to kill others without permission, or interfere with another's enjoyment of the game on purpose, (some of that is in their own personal taste, but to the best of our abilities we are not free to do that). Hopefully I captured it in a nutshell lol Cheers;)

11. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

And who is responsible for THIS?!

[​IMG]

You can slaughter as many sheep, rabbits and horses as you like... but the only cow in the world?! This will not stand! I demand a Trammel for cows

Time Lord, smack, Numa and 3 others like this.
  12. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

Re: Throne of Bone.

No one went through the lich dungeon 60 times. They simply opened up the chest on the top of the stone wall in the city section of Owl's Head and looted it out of the chest, as it respawns in there every time the chest is opened.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. argyle

argyle Avatar

I would imagine allowing people to slaughter the townspeople hinders testing more than it helps it. It creates all sorts of roadblocks for players looking to craft or improve their gear and pushes players away from multiplayer online, which keeps things like the party system from being tested. It prevents quests and the like from being worked on.

I actually logged out of the game and logged back in to make sure i wasn't in single player online. There were barely any people around for the 35 minutes or so I was logged in.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@majoria,

I tend to support freedom to do whatever you want as long as realistic consequences are built in. :) Part of role-playing to me is doing whatever you want, when you want, how you want it. But part of role-playing to me is also doing that within the limits of your role & your reality.

15. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I accept that we are still in pre-alpha, and there is tons of stuff to be ironed out and implemented yet. However I strongly agree with many of the sentiments expressed in this thread - the stupidity and wanton destruction is just childish and very offputting. I very much hope that when the final release emerges that the dev team has something in hand to stamp out this craziness - either non-killable NPCs or an automatic stay in the clink.

16. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

I found that if the NPC dead body was still there I could rez and heal them, but if I was standing too close I'd also take a swipe at them with my sword.

Time Lord, Ceal Astra and Siriustar like this.
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

I remember there was this MUD (Aardwolf i think) that I was very fond of. If you attacked an NPC that was very critical for players then you got instakilled by that NPC in the next round. It pretty much curbed stupid behavior quick.

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  18. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I spent quit a bit of time in Owls Head
    I've seen a lot of the destruction that happened id disbelief. Only knowing that yes this still is Pre-Alpha testing and knowing that we do have a very talented team of Dev techs. At first my Heart was heavy with sorrow that "is this how it's going to be" then knowing that these kids if you will (and I took a LOT of names) will pay if their childlike games continue. It wasn't tolerated in UO but it ruined this R5 for a lot of players.
    I tried to talk to some of these players and they didn't understand me didn't talk only seemed in there party chat, they had funny names not like the names you see in chat... forums at all. Not sure if they even had accounts. But they did stuff that was not on the program.
    I'm a long time lover of the game and don't want to see it ghetto, I want to do the Happy Dance.
    Great Place to make Friends. Unfortunately this did do that.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

How Do you kill npcs? I tried it, didn't work

Time Lord likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

The enterprising craftsman would hire assassins to kill the vendor NPCs and stand there instead, offering to sell his own goods at higher prices...just sayin'. :)

I think NPCs should be temporarily disabled or even killable. It's a tired trope of MMO design and someone eventually needs to "solve it". Bethesda tried with their Radiant AI and Radiant Quest system. You kill an NPC, and a "friend" NPC picks up the quest line so your quests aren't broken. It could be extended to take over the NPC's shop, etc. They also only allowed for critical NPCs to be disabled but never killed. PCs could also take over NPC duties temporarily.

Or more extreme, there are no NPCs and PCs have to roleplay everything. But I'd suggest the following: imagine re-using the same system where we can "teach" skills or emotes. Instead, we can teach quests. We become the quest giver. Once we learn and complete a quest, now we can help others "complete" them. Yes, Lum if you're reading, this ties into my SmackTalk system :) (See, it wasn't always about leaving "fun" messages with NPCs for your friends). One would need a way to communicate this to players dependent on that NPC but I'm sure there are a ton of creative ways to do this.

And yes, of course, there should be consequences for disabling or killing NPCs, with guards on patrol to kill you or put you in jail.

Time Lord, Bimmer and Mercyful Fate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.