Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Numerous dead npc's in Owl's head gives a very poor impression

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Sirius Sternwarte, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Hallelujah! Someone here thinks more about freedoms and game extensions rather than moar restrictions!
    To the "let's prevent this and prevent that" crowd : put that pea-sized brain of yours to use for once and stop trying to ruin this game.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Killing innocent animals in a town should hurt your virtue rating or your fame (if the game supports that), but it should be possible. Make it a crime if the animal is owned.

Perhaps a better question: why are there apparently wild sheep and cows roaming around Owl's Head?

Time Lord, skinned and Bimmer like this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes, because having the pea brains running around killing every npc because they can really screams freedom. Most wouldn't see that asa game feature, it is not surprising that some do. Actions like that make people think "geez I didn't think we would have morons doing that..."

I say go ahead let them attack NPC's, but then have the guards showup right away slay them and heal the npcs.

Of course though, give total freedom let anyone do what they want even if it is a negative to the actual game.

Phredicon, Numa and Time Lord like this.
  4. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

I like the idea that all of the merchants in the town refuse to deal with you until you 'atone' in some way for your actions.

Merchant: *spits at your feet* "I 'eard 'o you! Yer the one that did in poor Jimmy! I ain't dealin' with no murderin' scum! Get outta here you. Get out!"

And then if you keep pestering the merchant. Merchant: "Guards! Guards!" Which then causes the guards to come over and give you a stern talking to, in the vein of 'move along' or face unpleasant consequences, be it time in the Clink, or a Halberd in the face. :)

And maybe after you've 'atoned', or done some good deeds for the town, raised your virtue level or whatever, the same merchant may say...

Merchant: "Oi! What are you doing here? I thought I told you to... wait a minute. There's something different about you... I see it in your eyes. Something's changed about you. I don't trust you yet, but I see you are trying to turn over a good leaf. I tell you what, I'll sell to you, but you ain't getting no discount, I'll tell ya that!"

Then have the merchant sell to them, but charge them a +10% cost until their virtue comes back up to 'normal'.

Likewise for people with high virtue. Maybe something like...

Merchant: "Hail friend and good day to thee! 'Tis fantastic to see you again. Always a pleasure. What can I get for ye today?" And then the merchant offers a 10% discount, or whatever.

This could also be regional. Well renowned and loved in Owl's Head does not make you thus in other cities, etc.

5. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

The NPCs and animals opted-in. Yeah, that's the ticket! :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think that I should be made clear that if they kill npc's they are not able to complete any quest associated with that NPC - they would have to start over

I feel that some form of balance would be good for the game - if actions - such going around killing NPC's affect your ability to play the game (at least the story aspect of it)

Of course some solution would have to be taken into consideration to ensure that someone could not come in to kill npc's just to grief

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Indian0Lore

Indian0Lore Avatar

PCs able to join the ranks of city guards. The PC cities will be interesting if players were able to give out quests for items.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

The people who like to kill everybody and everything just because they can would do well to stop and consider what type of game this is. We - the developers and players - are trying to create a society. With the pedigree of the game, it is reasonable to assume that the Virtues will be important; therefore it would be good to live by them.

In a real-world society, if you randomly killed shopkeepers etc, you would be outcast from society very quickly. Expect a lengthy jail sentence. In my opinion, some kind of censure should apply if that occurs in SotA - and many models have been mooted in this thread. I support that and hope the developers can incorporate something to discourage or punish frankly antisocial or criminal behaviour.

If you want to play a game without any moral or societal imperatives, there are many out there that will satisfy you. Grand Theft Auto, to name but one. This game is not one of those.

NRaas, Montaigne, Bimmer and 3 others like this.
  9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I pretty much stayed in "single" player because I know what "multi" player is like, I played UO long enough to know what "gangbanging" is all about. If you let players do it, then they will, and to hell with everyone else in the game, they don't care a natesass about them, just there own personal jollies at "grifing".

They have no imagination, no desire to test, no desire to RP, just mindless killing because they're bored and have a lack of adventure.

Some say the NPCs should be non-killable, some say that is redickulous.

I say let them insta rez and one hit their attackers into perma death until the end of the testing period, even the sheep should rez up and strike their killer dead. Just ban there log in until the end of testing because they did something unwanted/stupid.

My 2 cents...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

I haven't seen an answer to the question -- how did someone damage and kill the NPC's? Not the animals, the people. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a bug report describing how they did it. That's really the only thing that bothers me. Killing the NPC's during testing? Creative testing. Now log the bug and get your deserved praised from the community for your efforts. Not logging the bug? Missing the entire point of this alpha period. I hope I'm wrong and I just missed the bug report.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: "Villain!"... "Villain on the loose!"

Maybe Lord British or Dread Lord Darkstarr was testing their new Rouge characters? o_O
    Maybe that's too much to hope for... :( or maybe not :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think that the Guards should be killable, but they should be at high levels each of them, so say 3 come after you "OoOoOoo". 3 massively powerful guards (but that can be killed) Now if some one sees the guards attacking an individual, at that point anyone PVE or PVP can help attack that person. There you go! getting PVE into PVP without losing anything! How many "reds" would come to a town where not only, can the guards attack and kill you but so can everyone else, hell even let the NPCs and Livestock jump in! PVE PVP alike can attack ("If the guards are attacking that person he must be bad!")

Bodhbh Dearg, cs2501x and Time Lord like this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I totally dis-agree with this... This would defeat the point of having guards and protected zones, if all you need to do is out number/out skill the guards.

I say instant death, let the Tesla tower strike you with a bolt of lightning, killing you... Let the guards drag your corps to the nearest pig pen and throw you in (24hr ban).

Swift Justice or keep your nose clean and behave yourself...

14. Numa

Numa Avatar

How about this -kill a guard and his ghost will possess your character. You are then condemned to do his rounds all day, helping people and giving them directions. Be a decent human being for a change :)

15. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I have to admit, killable guards do sound reasonable and possibly fun. The biggest trick might be avoiding breaking parts of the game in the process--quest NPCs, expoits using the guards to kill people, using them to train, all the familiar problems from other MMOs in those situations. Still, cool.

NRaas and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

In the old ultima's you could kill the guards however if I remember correctly they kept comming and they were pretty tough.

NRaas, Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  17. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Agree 100%. For good or evil we are the Avatar after all! ;)

They are guards, not Gods, and should be killable. They should present a tough fight but not be invincible. They should also have the resurrect spell handy as they make their rounds throughout the town. :p

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

As I remember, Yes, they were killable, but they remembered who you were, and were not passive on your next visit.

Yet another reason for "single" player mode.

As I understand SotA, not all cities/towns will have Tesla coils for protection, and not all towns/villages will have guards, correct? And to cure the problems of "important" NPCs being killed, then they should have no loot, and instant rez (at twice their strength, and vengeful), do you agree? And since SotA will be "tracking" our Virtue it would also be reasonable for all the guards everywhere to remember who killed one of their own, and for your anti-virtue behavior to follow you.

The Tesla coils could just throw Lightning bolts at you when you get into town, the guards could attack you, the shop keepers refuse to do business with you.

But when the guards are off duty, sitting around the barracks, you could purchase training. A sparing lesson in long swords, pole arms, heavy armor, light armor, whatever their specialty is, that would be interesting too...

Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

The biggest problem might be players could form a large party and find a way to overpower the guards, defeat them, and get to the NPCs.

20. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I don't think a jail or infirmary limit quest punishment will do.
    These people I don't think are registered players!
    I think they HACKED in to the game, or hacked other players accounts. Like the guy that claimed a lot opening day but never came back the rest of R5.
    And they'll be back unless this type of behavior is addressed there needs to be a better stronger secure login.
    HELLO there is a few $$ involved here also accounts I need assurance!!!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.