Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Obsidian Crown Merchants

Discussion in 'Release 35 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, now that these NPCs are going to carry a variety of add-on store items, when will they start buying back our add-on store items for crowns?

DancingShade likes this.
  2. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I sure hope so, even if the buyback is a loss for the seller. Not that I regret anything I spent money on but I've come to appreciate the details in the newer assets over the older ones :)

Suspect it might not be in the first iteration we see. It was a planned thing eventually though, I believe.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Since it involves real money, there should be absolutely no loss!

DancingShade likes this.
  4. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Fair point!

(too used to buyback mechanics without RMT being involved)

5. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

At the risk of being oblivious/clueless, why would we put in a mechanism for us to give $$$ refunds on items that players presumably derived use from and simply got tired of?

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The game gets a large part of it's funding from vanity items.

I believe you can currently get crowns on some homes (pledge only?) but the rates are much lower than selling to other players. If it involved no loss for the buyer then you would never be buying, for example, the gothic mansion, and then trading it for a christmas house then trading it for a spring house or whatever. If creating new items does not generate new funds then they do not pay for themselves (and then would be counter-productive to making the game - we get a lot of new vanity toys because they help fund development of the quest/crafting/combat systems).

It would be nice if we bought something and realized it didn't fit in our lot that we had a mechanism for converting to crowns, but that seems a bit complicated to make it time-limited. I would expect if Port ever put in such a feature if it cost you 100$ to buy you'd get something like 10-25 crowns back. Similar to how selling things like crafted weapons to other players (player economy) is generally more lucrative than selling to npc vendors.

I do like a quick and easy method to get something back though.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, let's say I purchase an ornate wooden hot tub and then discover that it doesn't fit where I wanted to put it. Previously, I would just convert it to store credits at the next wipe and use the credit to get something else. Since there are no more wipes, this is no longer possible.

Some time back, Darkstarr said (and I may have simply misunderstood) that obsidian crown merchants would eventually buy back store items for gold crowns.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

rild and Lord Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.