Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Obsidian items 10x more expensive?! =(

Discussion in 'Release 44 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Sir Leonard, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Now, from 100 chips to 1000 for one ingot. This is too harsh.

I understand you don't want obsidian armor to be "fairly common" (actually it is already expensive), but 10x is just unfair, compared to its Bone Armor (light version) counterpart. So, either Obsidian Armor and weapons should be massively buffed to compensate the costs (more avoidance, more resist, less fizzle), or the price reduced and Bone Armor should follow the same rule because now it is far easier and less teddious to grab mats for bone than for obsidian.

And unless you also plan to increase chips drop to compensate (hardly the case), it feels like you want people to run for light bone-based armor builds and abandon obsidian once and for all.

Anyway... :/

Kigu Starfish (Kor) and Arpanet like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I sincerely hope this is a bug or accident. It already takes 6000 chips to make a set of the armor. If you want to try for exceptionals, you'll need to make 4 times as many. And then if you want to try to get a couple of decent masterworks and enchants on it, its even worse. At the moment, you're looking at about 30,000-40,000 chips and a lot of luck to get a "decent" set of this with enough durability to actually wear in combat. At the very least. Multiplying that by 10 is a bit ludicrous unless you want this armor to be nothing but ornamental.

EDIT : Yeah, read in the patch notes now that this is, bafflingly, intentional.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not a bug. Not an accident.

4. Sir Leonard

No accident. It is announced on the patch notes.

5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

And the weapon bonus doesn't even work at the moment. I seriously am seeing this company as a joke more and more.

Skywalker75 and Osiris3 like this.
  6. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

Also, Obsidian Armors and weapons don't seem to be very powerful.
    Who will spend so much resources to craft such an items?

7. Sir Leonard

The whole obsidian system were it is at is ATM is just a joke:
    - You already cannot craft gear without a group (elementals). Unless you are a ubber archer/mage - someone who will NOT be using plate armor anyway (sometimes portalarium seems to just HATE melee players all along: evade mechanics, latency breaking positioning, annoying scaping mobs, archery and magery ruling the scene by a LONG shot EVER, like... even Richard Garriot use bows;... etc). Oh wait, someone (mages and archers) will use a mail chest to get heavy armor buffs... yeah, just another "exploit" of the avoid/damage resist mechanics.
    - Armor costs is already prohibitive (chips ain't cheap), specially for enchanting/masterworking
    - Armor itself isn't that worth.

Yes, still people CAN craft it, you still see on the market. BUT, you don't "need" to raise it 10x the price, not while the armor isn't that worth having and only 1% of the people playing this game can craft it properly.

Seriously... a wonderful patch spoiled by... this.

Hope this never goes live.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Osiris3 likes this.
  8. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

This is beyond absurd. As a crafter, I am convinced that the devs continue to have absolutely no comprehension as to the cost of crafting through masterwork and enchantment. This 10X change will from the math alone show that to create one piece of gear at +10 or so a crafter would need literally millions of chips. Where in the heck will all these chips come from? I just wish one dev would go ahead and set his blacksmithing at GM. Then go out and collect enough mats to craft a good heavy armor chestplate. If one did, the crafting scenario would be changed immediately. Increasing material requirements by a factor of 10 is just beyond absurd. I guess if armor is NEVER crafted it will be suitably rare.

Osiris3, aseltine and kaeshiva like this.
  10. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Are we sure that after this change is made, and the market has a bit of time to adjust, that Obsidian armor will not get revisted and substantially buffed? You would need let the market to settle and weed out the Obsidian Items that are out there as much as possible in order to balance them with any new increases in power that cost more "now" to make.

Just a thought.

nonaware likes this.
  11. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I am sure that there will be a load of people making Obsidian Ingots this weekend, because they're the thing that are being made directly more valuable by this change.

I think leaping from 100 to 1000 in a single release is the main problem. Go from 100 to (say) 250 in R44, 250 to 500 in R45, 500 to 1000 in R46 and there will be far less complaining I think.

Hornpipe and Sir Brenton like this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The issue I have with this change is more the deeper issue with crafting - the terrible, pointless, waste.
    I would have no problem with the cost of all crafting being multiplied by 10, if we could just let durability be the limit and choose the bonuses we want.
    The fact that you'd need well over a million obsidian chips (not to mention piles of silver/gold) to "maybe" make an "okay" set of this armor (2x enchants/masterworks) that both did not break and actually maybe kinda got the bonuses you wanted on it instead of crappy health/focus enchants or minors - either shows a complete lack of understanding of the crafting system by the devs or an intentional push to make things so pointless nobody bothers.

You already need a group to do this in a special location. And you can't enchant it there either, so if you break stuff, hope you made extras or make another trip.

Every time I step up to the crafting bench, I hear the sound of giant toilet flushing away weeks of material farming, and more often than not, I have nothing to show for it.

It either needs to be expensive, or random, or break. All 3 is absurd.

Osiris3, aseltine, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  13. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Yes...
    I like this...

It seems like you are equating something that is supposed to be extremely rare and difficult to make to all of crafting.

What is wrong with something that is so hard and rare to make that only a few great crafters attempt to create them? Which will increase the value of these uniques (player crafted uniques...yes?) and make them things of renown and highly sought after?

Not every craftable is meant to be made in the 100's of thousands and sold by every other vendor. That is a bigger undermining to any serious crafting system imho.

Granted obs. in particular need the buffs adjusted... And the process by which ppl suddenly lose out on a bit by way of advance knowledge could be tweaked..

But I dont think crafting should be tossed out with the bath water because of Obsidian chips changing..

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The design of the crafting system is that everything is meant to be made in the thousands, that's the only way to create items with the bonuses you want.

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

That's the problem. It doesn't increase the value - you will never sell a set of this armor for what it costs in materials to make, not enchanted/masterworked, because it would cost millions and frankly, its not worth millions. At the moment, I think Obsidian armor is already far too material intensive for what it is. Yes, its nice, but the cost of it is already way beyond every other armor type. It didn't need to be mutiplied by 10, talk about the pendulum swinging ALL the way out of the park! If anything, the fact that you have to hunt down the recipes, and craft it, probably with a group, at a forge while a battle is going on, and the fact that you already need tens of thousands of chips (probably 100k or so, if I'm honest) to make a decent set, creates a certain level of rarity. I'm sorry, but nobody is going to farm chips for five thousand hours to "maybe" make a set of armor that is marginally better than meteoric platemail. Nobody's going to pay the millions upon millions of gold such a suit would cost. This does not help crafters, it just lets the elite top 1% or, more likely, the people who want to dump a bunch of real $$ into buying chips, have something shiny. I have no issue with something being rare, but with the way the crafting system works with so much waste, this is a poor way to go about it. If I could choose the bonuses and didn't have to worry about breaking anything, then MAYBE I could see spending months working toward a nice set. As it stands, no chance.

Hornpipe and Aldo like this.
  17. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

The problem is you HAVE to mention the crafting system when you're considering this as gear. Ask yourself this: Is this stuff worth wearing w/o enchants/MW? fk no it's not. Arguably it's not worth wearing over bronze RIGHT NOW. SO... since to make this worth using, we have to then talk about HOW we make it worth using... and with this game that entails breaking things. Breaking lots and lots and lots (did I mention lots?) of things. And even after breaking said *lots* of things, you've got no guarantee you got what you were actually looking for. Add in the newly 10x raised bar of "must be this 1337 to ride this ride" and you have a recipe for what's going on right now: everyone is scrambling to make ingots and then hold onto them in hopes of a buff later.

Nothing about this involves "something that is so hard and rare to make that only a few "great" crafters attempt" it. Only a window licking moron would attempt this post patch because the item created isn't *worth* what is going into it.

discipleofweb likes this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

In this particular instance, I fail to see any real harm being done. People who have large stockpiles of chips and are in the dark about the change suddenly see a market for selling the chips. They have a stockpile because they have seen no need to use the chips for crafting or are at a level they cannot survive the process. The fact is that the crafted gear is basically useless and that is not changing. So the insiders buy up all the chips, convert them to ingots, and what have they got? Ingots that are going to be harder to get next week for everyone. That begs the issue that what they are used for is still useless and has no real value. All I can see here is that some people are now selling chips that they could only sell to NPC before. They are actually reaping the benefit here (and they are in the dark).

That said, I agree that insider information created by the Dev+ forum is a huge problem. The release notes should be posted to all at the same time. Dev+ can still be valuable in testing, bug hunting, and help in getting the new patch up and running. What is the argument against posting the patch notes globally? Dev+ could still do everything they do now. All concerns about insider info will evaporate and we will have one less rage point that can only be good.

19. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

You both seemed to miss this part: "Granted obs. in particular need the buffs adjusted"

A would change would all the rarity/worth potentially.

20. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Are the chips being added to more creatures loot tables? are they being added to npc vendors? has anyone tested to see if they are easier to obtain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.