Obsidian Potions and how they broke mentoring- A thought to fix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

1) Those potions are freely available but NOT in the "I walked around the block 3 times" MERETZ picker potions.
    2) If its not 10% I'm surprised (if it adds to 500% I'm even more surprised)
    3) I'm pretty sure the extra still comes from your pool. Its not like you spend 1000 from pool and get 5000 into the skill. Clarification on that would be nice.

2. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

YES, the skill level affects how much is taken from the pool.

This test needs to be done within a skill level and it needs to be with a really large pool to factor out the size of the pool mattering.

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

1) Correct, they take a gold COTO
    2) GM is 2x (200%), see https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ntoring-a-thought-to-fix.144758/#post-1172411
    3) Correct, it increases the total draw from your pool. You still have to have the XP in your pool to spend. My comment was about when you *earn* XP from an action (killing, crafting, etc). There's a default earn rate that's increased when you're in a party (NOT by GM). But to train, you have to be in a party. So my question was relating to that -- Is the 10% Lace was referring to the bonus from crafting items. I don't think so, though.

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

My pool level is nearly 4 million. It's far beyond the 1 million minimum. And it still gives a good indicator of the overall rate of increase for the variables.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So I did another test. Since obsidian potion can't be dismissed, it is limited. This is Light spell at level 96, no changes in level.

Obsidian + GM: 15,288 XP from the pool
    Obsidian: 7612 from the pool

So Obsidian + GM was just over 2x more than just obsidian on its own. So really obsidian+GM seems to come in at approximately 8x base. (4x from obisidian, doubled by GM: 4x*2x=8x).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    xadoor and Barugon like this.
  6. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

yes that math actually works out. Go figure, I wonder if @Chris is aware of how crazy OP that is.

7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

How is it OP? You've earned the XP and will spend it either way. ;)

8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Keep in mind too that that extra boost goes away once you hit level 100. So you don't get it for the really hard levels (100+)

9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Its not overpowered. You EARNED the experience. How quickly you are able to apply it is not important. You still have to earn it.

StarLord, Simon LeBon and Mishikal like this.
  10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Just because you have to earn it doesn't make it less over powered. When it comes to crafting skills, you can advance these skills much faster with hardly any materials now.

If you grow your pool big enough and wait until you have gm mentoring and the obsidian potion active you will use an insane amount less materials than someone who just raises the same skill naturally.

There shouldn't be that big of a gap for players that understand the mechanics and players that don't, in my opinion. This is a min-maxers dream set up.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Novian Studies have found that wearing deodorant increases the amount of trainees a mentoring master gets at any player ran event... ;)

Simon LeBon likes this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It's an excellent way to drive COTO sales, which helps fund the game. So it's a win-win for everyone.

13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

When it comes to the enchant subskills, it costs an insane amount of mats to increase them even with the guidance pot. I dont think we should cater to the ignorant and everyone has to pay the price for others ignorance.

Mishikal likes this.
  14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Actually it does make it less over powered. Lets explain this another way. Lets call exp money and the exp pool the bank. Now you go out and you work your hiney off and save up $20,000 for what ever it is you want. Now you go to the bank and want to draw it all out and the bank says "sorry, you can only take out $10 a day" I would be like "hell no. That's my money. Give me my money before I do something which shall not be named!!!" like bank with someone else. Exp is the same. Its yours period. You've already gone through hell and high water to a get it and like money, some people are able to get it easier than others and some need the help of others to get it. How easy or hard should not be a determining factor in how you spend it or how quickly you spend it.

Mishikal likes this.
  15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I can take this analogy further. Lets say you buy a car with your $20,000. You decide its the wrong car for you. If you try to return it or sell it, your not getting all your money back (spare me your one in a million example where you might). Same here. If you don't spend your exp wisely, your not getting it all back should you untrain something.......

Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.