Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Obsidian Trials

Discussion in 'Release 55 Feedback' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I had fun!

I'm not a very good PvP'er at the moment, but I did manage to get one kill. Mostly I got destroyed, but that was expected.

I found it surprising how quickly we could get into the fray, I was sure with all the teleporters that we would be spread out all over the place, but it didn't take too long to find fights.

I had one time a person teleported in about 3 or 4 seconds after I did, much to his surprise. If it's possible to disable teleporters for 5 - 10 seconds after use, consider it. This will mostly be to prevent people from running in right behind others.

Consider a chat message, at least for now, saying which teleporter you came through. The reason is that for bug reporting it can be pretty tough to get a /loc while being in a fight. People tend to not stop when I wave my hands and say "Waitamminute, waitamminute". But if the teleporter number is know, that gives you at least an idea of the area of the location, and make it easier for us to find the same spot a second time.

Navmesh error was somewhere (which I could tell you if I had been thinking faster, or could look back at a teleporter number) that caused my bear to suicide about 2 seconds into entering the level. I didn't go near the pool, he just went for it.

He kept resurrecting in the pool as well (that's why I didn't get the loc, I was worried I'd lose my bear and not thinking about the bug at the moment) so dying every time I tried to bring him back. I ran quite a distance but couldn't get him to rez next to me until I was killed.

Since people are just leaving tombstones everywhere, can they be lootable by those who didn't kill? It would be a nice side gig to run around looting the remains.

I'll be back for the next one, and yes, it was fun and no "I'm going to lose my stuff" anxiety!

Jaesun, Koss, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

We had a discussion about this in guild chat last night, no one even knows how to get into the trials (and actually thought it wasnt open yet). Can you give a quick guidance? If so, Ill see you in there myself tonight. Unfortunately I gave up a PvP build a long time ago so ya'll kill me a lot with my archer pve build.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  3. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...l-pvp-play-tests-june-29.131809/#post-1078005

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This would probably be a bad idea, since the coins are meant as a reward for future items.

5. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

If you get on for the next round, you have to whisper the devs listed to get in. I imagine it will be opened up at a later date for all to go in.

6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I never quite understood this fear. Yes, I don't want to lose my +16 staff, nor all of my stuff like full-loot PvP games. And I am being elitist I guess by saying that paying 2-3k for that staff is not much to me. But it's all random. I could lose nothing, I could lose ONE thing, but only if I can't pay the ransom. Newer players are going to be dissuaded by this, but on the one hand it just seems like a gate to stop new players for now, but maybe incentivizing them to get better and earn gold to play.

I prefer this system over full-loot. I died about 15 times in the OT, and if I had to pay 2-3K each time, then yes, it's a bad feeling. But the truth is that I might only have to pay that at least one time, maybe a few more due to the randomness. The other times I am not going to care to lose some regs or worthless items.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Since I'm away and can't try them do you think they are open to making them an event like with wintergrass with more goals than rewards like flags to capture and quest givers etc? I like the idea of this with no decay or ransom to worry about but I'd want it to be for more than killing like I'm trying to get someplace or do something. If that makes sense. I'm not a big pvper but it is a different event with more fun and not fear of loss I might consider it as a daily quest to do.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Not sure what the plan is with the Obsidian Skull Coin you get from the trials. I think the Release Notes said they were going to be a currency for the future to get items (rare?). So it seems like it's mimicking other games where you get coins from doing PvP and then are able to get items from a vendor.

9. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

FYI, I logged out from the OT and when I came back to the game I chose to spawn in the Over World map. I spawned by the volcano near Nightshade Pass. So maybe this is where the entrance will be in the future?

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

In practice one day at Celestus Canton, my Ring of Cuttlekin got ransomed 3x out of about 6 fights. That would have been 60,000 gold in ransom out in the "real world". As a simple furniture merchant, that represents an unacceptable risk.

From what I've gathered this is just the test for systems that will eventually include many standard game mode, like CTF, as well as Castle Sieges. It sounds like they may be open to letting us somehow activate game modes in our towns as well. I might be making that last part up though, it seems like I heard it but I'm not positive.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh sad. I don't want to fight for castles personally but I liked the idea of a wintergrass experience here that was a reacurring timed event with more reasons to play than killing and rewards. Anyway carry on I was just hoping and wishful thinking.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

But I thought the fun of PvP was the loots?! :eek:

At least that's what some people keep wishing for... full loot.

Spinok and Witcheypoo like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

What's this?

Only the winners want that. I can spend a lot of time in competitive mode, but if it's making S Mart go out of business nope!

Barugon likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot, post: 1078482, member: 63358"]What's this?

You didn't play the game wow then. It was a repeatable daily event that brought the horde and non pvpers together in a battle ground setting. Totally a choice to do and of course there was no decay or ransom to worry about. You all ran down this hill as fast as you could to be the first to get various locations taken by your group. No worries you could heal others in your faction. It was a timed event so you had to hurry and of course others would try to stop you. In my case it was members of the horde who tried to stop us non horde players from taking the locations. So of course there were strategies you tried to make up to try to win. This is where factions would be fun in the game. As a pve'er this was a fun break from other game things we did for me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Aeryk, Elrond and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Did the evening, got smoked non-stop. Yes, it will be nice when we have tiered rankings. I'm thinking Adventure Level won't do it though, you'll need to be placed based on performance. Or choose your deck at the outset and have your Tier determined by the totaled power level of glyphs.

In the meantime, I just need to secretly team up with about 10 people.

Also, the Ransom UI is obviously pointless, but if you die a lot like me, clearing it out afterwards is annoying due to the click click click needed to clear each one.

Jaesun and Aeryk like this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If I want to play this, I'm going to obviously need to beef up my skills and make a PvP deck. The scene itself is awesome looking. Looking forward to seeing the lore for this place.

I did get two kills, but not knowing what to do I missed the chance to get a coin. They might consider tooltips, since this may be the only PvP players engage in. And it's unlike other PvP scenes.

Aeryk likes this.
  17. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

The Obsidian Trials showcase just how utterly broken combat is :-(

Was fun as a novelty

Reminds me how much I miss PVP :-(

Aeryk likes this.
  18. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

is fixed

Was fun to be in there today. Many names i heard and some i know.
    Obsidion Trails is worth to visit it, if enough players are in.

I was also happy that the ones who where there are searching a fight and not a kill. Was respectfull today.

Aeryk likes this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No, afterwards you have the ransom notification, a number of 0 gold ransoms, that you have to discard if you want the Oracle Eye indicator to go away.

20. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

This was a lot of fun... still a few balance issues however very much fun!

Jaesun, Aeryk and CatweazleX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.