Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ok... lets talk about arrows.

Discussion in 'Release 55 Feedback' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

In the release instructions, @DarkStarr wrote:

Arrow Recipe Balance: We have balanced crafting arrows so they are more economical than purchasing them from merchants. To do this we have added a new recipe that allows you to make arrowheads from scrap, changed the existing arrowhead recipe to produce more arrowheads, and changed the arrows recipe to use less feathers. To account for these input changes we have reduced the output amount of the arrow recipe slightly.

SLIGHTY in this case = a 5-1 reduction, the old recipe made 500 arrows, the new one makes 100

This is offset by the new arrowhead recipe right?

NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST!!!

Lets work with the old recipe output of 500 arrows. To make that the old way, we used:
    1 Ingot
    1 board
    5 bundles of feathers

To make the same number of arrows under the new recipes, we NOW use:
    1 ingot
    5 boards
    5 bundles of feathers (wasn't there supposed to be a reduction here?)

Lets forget for the moment that most players are going to be getting these resources from other players, 'cause player run economy, right? Lets use the following values for resources, as that is how much you will spend buying them from the npc vendors, or how much you would get for selling them to npc vendors:

Creosote: 2 gp each
    Chunk of Coal: 6 gp each
    Ore (any): 4 gp each
    Wood (any): 3 gp each
    Bundle of feathers: 4 gp each

Using those, lets look at the cost for the arrowheads:

Ingot=coal+4xore=22 gp

Arrowheads (5) = coal + ingot = 28 gp or 5.6 gp per batch of arrows

Then the boards:

Timber (2) = 6xWood+2xCreosote = 22 gp or 11 gp per timber

Board (2) = Timber + Creosote = 13 gp or 6.5 gp per board

Now lets compare recipes:

Old:

Arrows (500) = Arrowhead (1 ingot) + Board + 5x Bundle of Feathers = 46.5 gp per 500 arrows

New (I'll present 5 batches as you have to make that many to equal the old recipe):

Arrows (500) = Arrowhead (5 or 1 ingot) + 5xBoard + 5xBundle of Feathers = 74.5 gold per 5 bundles of (or 500) arrows

For reference, it costs 83.33 gold to buy !!>>1000<<!! arrows from NPC vendors.

How, may I ask, is this LESS than the NPC, much less the previous recipe?

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

This will be fixed. it was a bug.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Thank you for finally making this recipe make sense... and destroying my resale business at the same time! *laughs*

4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Please fix the 100 arrows bartching too.
    When i go serious hunting with guildies i burn through 6k arrows easy,

If I have to make them in 100 batches instead 500 botting suddenly becomes frightening attractive for me

It was Sotas decision to make archers use silly amounts of arrows, it is there duty to make producing said silly amounts of arrows not a pita in the first place

(or double delay between shots and raise dmg accordingly so we use less arrows with same dps)

Because, I know about rotary guns that use less ammo, seriously.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Their idea of making arrow crafting more attractive was to cut output by 80%. :rolleyes:

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

The patch last night fixed it so you spend about 14.9 gp VTV (Vendor Trash Value) to craft 500 arrows with the ingot recipe, or 13.7 gp VTV using the scrap recipe for the arrowheads, because they fixed the “bug” that had actually increased the cost from the old recipe by making it produce 500 arrows instead of 100.

Edit: since I called it VTV, the real cost of the scrap recipe is more like 12.1 gp, as the metal scraps sell to vendors at 1 gp each, and I was using a minimum sell-to-player-vendor value of 2 gp.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.