Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Old Sparkling Hands

Discussion in 'Release 40 Feedback Forum' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes, this is way more subtle... NOT!

[​IMG]

Why is it possible that in other RPGs such sparkling, glowing etc. is not neccessary?

At least tone the sparkling effect down, it looks like the NPCs are robots and have a short circuit...

discipleofweb, Tamsen and Salix like this.
  2. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I see no problem... much better than glowing blue.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yet still why do other games manage to achieve this without glowing and sparkling?

Sometimes I get the impression that the devs don't play other games to get some ideas or inspirations...

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

AFAIK, you can turn off the sparkling in the options.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think we can turn the blue glow from last release on and off.

Another thing: Hasn't it been said that the quest NPCs would look at the player? Showing that they mean me and not sone other player besides me?

6. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Which other games? Regardless of the ability to play this as an offline or single player online game, most of the audience is going to view this as an MMO game. Most successful MMOs I have played use quest NPC markers.

The days of players willing to diligently explore a town and talk to every NPC have faded into the past. I was, myself, quite okay with not having quest markers. It was a bit refreshing and nostalgic at the same time. However, they need to cater to a broader audience in order to generate lasting success and I understand I am not in that sector. I'd rather have sparkly hands that come with more player than less players and no sparkle. But I think the sparkly hand looks a lot better than a big yellow ! or some of the other icons I've seen.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The Witcher 3 for example. Quest related NPCs are marked on the compass and on the minimap and it works. They don't glow, they don't sparkle and yet they are easy to find.

It is unfortunate that SotA will be viewed as an MMO because it could have been so much more.
    There are so many MMORPGs out there struggling to survive, do we really need another one?
    The Witcher 3 sold more than 25 million copies to date. Not even The Elder Scrolls Online with its multi-million dollar budget and which is considered as one of the most successful MMOs right now doesn't even come close. So how will SotA compete as yet another MMO?

Salix and By Tor like this.
  8. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

My response would be biased as I probably would not be here to play it if it were a single player game. The features on offer are things I've been seeking in an MMO. They don't really appeal to me in a single-player aspect.

Tamsen likes this.
  9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Though, the pitch that they sold was a hybrid single-player/multi-player/pseudo-MMO. That kind of hybridization often means compromising to the lowest common denominators for each category. And Pioneering that hybridization also brings other challenges.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If you compromise to the lowest common denominator what game will you get in the end?
    If you use "subpar" materials you can't expect to get a high-quality product in the end.

Tamsen likes this.
  11. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

That is the challenge of this hybrid model. Not all of the materials are necessarily sub-par, but they might not always be the best material for the job. The finest steel is still going to make a poor window pane. The things being done here are not quite so extreme as that example. But a compelling feature in one style of game can be a drawback in another. But this game has already been sold as a hybrid and its rather late to change that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.