On Bandits, Ebon Cultists, and other human diversity.

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Aberwine, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aberwine

Aberwine Avatar

Does anyone know if these are the final skins for these creatures? If so, It would seem like it would be a better option to use clones of the in game avatars for more diversity.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    FrostII likes this.
  2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

DEAR GOD i said months ago just CHANGE THE CLOAK COLOR of some of the bandits and cultists in different scenes!

Change 1 color of their damn outfit at least to give some SLIGHT variation!

--
    but again, i said this months ago already.. chances are they arnt changing the looks of them much.. and i dont feel they have the abilitiy or time to make it clone in game avatars.. as neat and.. hectic that would be lol

FrostII likes this.
  3. Aberwine

Aberwine Avatar

Changing the cloak color would be something at least. Just using the in game wearables on the humans and elves in scenes would give the game a lot more depth and immersion. In games like ESO and UO this technique was used pretty effectively to get a lot of milage out of a single humanoid. I dont know anything about game building or unity,it may be impossible, but in a crowd funded game it just seems like a no brainer to use existing assests effectively. Just my two cents.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I seriously doubt these are the final looks of either bandits or cultists. Or most of the standard NPCs for that matter which I believe Portalarium bought to stand in as place holders. I'm sure they'll all be getting overhauled sooner or later. Just like the rest of the development.. function comes first, then balance and polish. We never really needed any of these NPCs to do more than function before but now that most of the features, balance and polish is becoming more and more important.

It certainly would make fighting them more interesting for them to get their final look. (And hopefully some new behaviors?)

Aberwine likes this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

This sounds like a disheartened person speaking.

They're going through NPC towns and updating quality and diversity between regions - I suspect they will go through adventure scenes as well for updates to quality and variety of the models.

I think they did something with Kobolds. I guess no matter what they do there will be some idea months (or years) ago that's an excellent idea that just isn't in yet.

It's hard, I know.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Right, but it would very much be a quick fix/solution to a lot of that cloned feel.
    And the problem is uncloned *new scenes* being released with the same mobs that a simple color change would at least make feel unique.

7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

A lot of MMOs use monster like models for even human npcs because they're normally much less resource demanding than player models. With that in mind I don't forsee them using player models for NPCs, however there's no reason why they can't use varying textures.

MrBlight and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.