Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

On the rarity of mandrake root

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Raven Swiftbow, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I know that others have mentioned this - mandrake root is far too rare. Either that or there's some special place to get it and no one can find it. I have only seen it in-game once and that was in Novia. If it was really this rare, it would cost a fortune!

Please consider putting more of it in the game.

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I've stopped looking for mandrake after a thorough search of known nodes in R14 revealed that they had been removed. I'm surprised to learn that mandrake is available at all in the wild. I won't ask you to reveal the location you found it in - in RL mushroom hunters like to keep the location of their mushrooms secret :)

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Devs won't be able to completely tweak the availability of anything in the wild until the entire Novia map is in along with all outdoor instances. (or at least the ones that are relevant to a particular resource).

I'm sure there will be more to be found eventually.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I always eat the mushrooms, and then I forget where I found them.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

NPC owned magic shops will have Reagents. Will they have all of the reagents? I don't know. Right now they do, they cost 20 gold per. But if that remains at launch then the price and availability of mandrake root will never go too high as the NPC will always undercut whatever the true supply and demand will be.

Also, regarding mandrake root specifically, I don't think mandrake root is supposed to be found all over the place. I think it's supposed to be rare. Which is why I'm anxiously awaiting a day when magic is not used like a six shooter to zap anything that moves.

Alexander likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The only one I can find reliably in R15 is the one in the middle of the new shardfall.
    The rest is gone.

For a while we thought that they were only available under Daedalus' embrace, but that was not so.

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

The treasure chest at the end of Chillblain's Challenge Dungeon has 15 Mandrake Root and other reagents.

I don't know how to make a "Spoiler Alert" yet (Please PM me if you can instruct on this). But, doesn't matter in this case as no doubt this loot will change until Episode 1.

EDIT - Thanks Net for the quick response PM with instructions on how to make a spoiler.

Here is screen shot of the loot at the end of Chilblain's Dungeon:

[​IMG]

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, it is rare... But I've found it in quite a few places, only 2 - 3 spots in the scene(s), it's very hard to see... I know in the eastern part of the USA it sells for like $10,000/lb and poachers are shot on sight... It takes like 15 yrs to mature, the longer you let it grow, the better it gets... Not sure what it's used for "the History channel" has a show about it...

9. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I'm hoping that some reagents are rarer than the others. The rare ones should also cost more and therefore encourage some people to go find them instead.

Beli Mawr likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I still would like to see different potencies of reagents, so say we could see dry reagents in shops, or smaller versions of them.. and then find fresher, larger reagents in the wild.

11. Raven Swiftbow

That's interesting. But as a reagent that's used for magic spells in New Britannia, I would think that it would be something which common wizards everywhere might be able to find. Either that, or there will be a whole slew of spells that use mandrake root which mages will try to never cast.

FrostII likes this.
  12. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

I would agree if only the potency of spellcasting were GREATLY increased...otherwise it's kinda "pew pew pew!" by design in its current state.

13. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

tell me I will be able to grow my own

14. Raven Swiftbow

At certain pledge levels you can grow it - but you will only have one or, at most, 3 plants of it. And it will need to be watered every day, and uncertain how often it will produce the mandrake. Since they haven't gotten that far yet, we don't know exactly how that will work out.

15. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

so I have to pay for a permit to grow it, and its limited to personal use..... just like CA

16. Raven Swiftbow

lol

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There are public garden areas (like in Ardoris) that you'll be able to grow it too. (I believe)

18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Reading this, I went to the Verdantis Shardfall and found this on the tiny island in a purple sea:

[​IMG]
    Could this be mandrake? In any case, it didn't show as being harvestable (the cursor did not turn into a sickle).

Standing there, I kept losing hit points, and automatically entered combat mode. Not until I swam back across the purple lake again was I able to exit combat mode. I guess I was lucky - usually once in combat mode, I can't exit it again.

I did discover that my chance of harvesting ore or trees at the Shardfall is lower than at other locations, it takes longer, and I end up with more crafting experience than I do at other locations (e.g. 200 crafting exp. for felling a tree at the Shardfall versus 10 crafting exp for felling a tree on the Perennial Road). The harvested resources (wood, ore) are no better than the resources I get someone else more easily, though.

EDIT: It turns out that the low percentage chance of harvesting ore and wood and the amount of crafting exp gained through a successful harvest is the same for me in Deep Ravenswood as in Verdantis Shardfall.

19. Raven Swiftbow

That is mandrake - that is what it looks like after it's been harvested.

20. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Ah, so the elusive mandrake eludes me again :)

majoria70 and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.